Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

A big guy in front of net what a novel idea. Wonder why Detroit is so successful? Is it because they got size down the middle? Nope not that. Oh yeah they have Big Bert standing in front of net. What does that do on power play? It keeps those two defenseman from wandering too far and playing the puck along the boards. Not exactly rocket science. Last game I saw the only Canadien that had a stomach for that was Desharnais all 5'5" of him.

Bert? come on Kross. Everyone knows that before Bert wore a Red Wings sweater it has always been Tomas Holmstrom, quite possibly the best screener in NHL history. I think you didn't want to mention him because Holmstrom is only 6" and 200lbs but Holmstrom is unbelievable.

Bert? come on Kross. Everyone knows that before Bert wore a Red Wings sweater it has always been Tomas Holmstrom, quite possibly the best screener in NHL history. I think you didn't want to mention him because Holmstrom is only 6" and 200lbs but Holmstrom is unbelievable.

Absolutely right it is Holmstrom. He is alot smaller than I would do. But there is no doubt where he is standing and what he accomplishes. Our guys are afraid of pucks, a bigger guy is not so apt to be on his backside when the puck is coming in. I apologize for a seniors moment.

Dino Ciccarelli would be in the race as well for best screener in NHL history.

Dino Ciccarelli would be in the race as well for best screener in NHL history.

No doubt Dino made a living around the net, and was plenty tough for his size. The issue today isn't as much as going in there and getting hacked and wacked it's more going in there with the laser pucks coming through. Typically the goalies are a little better and you need as much screen in front of them as possible, therefore the bigger the better.

A lot of guys who like to get the to the dirty areas love to practice tip drills at the end of practice.

Guys who I have seen do this

Holmstrom of course

as well as Hartnell, Arnott, and even Gionta

A big guy in front of net what a novel idea. Wonder why Detroit is so successful? Is it because they got size down the middle? Nope not that. Oh yeah they have Holstrom standing in front of net. What does that do on power play? It keeps those two defenseman from wandering too far and playing the puck along the boards. Not exactly rocket science. Last game I saw the only Canadien that had a stomach for that was Desharnais all 5'5" of him.

Gionta has always been a guy who goes to the dirty areas.... He's just not a very good screen, especially with the Tall goalies around the league now.

Both of you are describing a part of a bigger problem. Commandant is almost right on the money. The areas where you need to work hard to win battles that turn into production are on the boards and in front of the net. The problem is the only 2 on the team that will battle in these areas are the 2 smallest on the team. I remember when Pleks was a force on the boards, was a strong part of his game. The rest of the forwards need to battle as hard as Desharnais and Gionta does. Those big bodys in front of the net need to battle more. Cole is doing a great job of going to the front of the net, but not so much when it comes to actually battling in front of the net.

For Lafrous

Funny.... for a defenceman that was "6th in ice time for boston by far in the playoffs" he actually played 3 minutes more per game than the guy who was actually the 6th most used D on the Bruins, and that was Adam McQuaid.

If you are gonna try and bring stats to prove your points, you could at least ensure that your stats are correct.

========================

For Habs29

Kaberle has been in the playoffs 7 times in his career.

He's been in the Eastern Conference Final 3 times in his career. He's won the Stanley Cup once in his career. He has 39 career playoff points.

He's not exactly comparable to Jay "never made the playoffs at any level of hockey" Bouwmeester.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the guys he's comparable to in terms of salary.... here they are, all of the offensive Dmen with a salary cap hit within 500K either way.

Clearly Better: Pitkanen, Streit, Wideman, Ehrhoff

(note Streit signed 4 years ago under a much lower cap... Ehrhoff has a crazy front loaded deal)

About the same: Liles, Gilbert, Meszaros, Goligoski

(first 3 all signed under a munch lower cap)

Clearly Worse than Kaberle: Jovanovski, Hainsey, Ballard, Zidlicky, Kubina, Spacek

Hainsey, Ballard signed when cap was lower.

Total Stanley Cup Wins in this group: 1 by Pavel Kubina.... not exactly the biggest group of "proven winners" out there. Kubina had 0 goals 4 assists in the playoffs of Tampa's Cup Win.

You are right. Kab played 16min/gm Macquaid. 13min. He was 5th in toi,4 min behind Boychuk.He played PP and Mqu got hurt during a couple of games.But i stand corrected. Bruins didn't re-sign him despite giving up a 1st,prospect and having cap space. They went to Corvo instead.That's telling..One stat to point out. I get the 11 assists was a nice . But during the most intense time of year,Kaberle was credited with 4 hits in 25 games.25 playoff games/16 min./gm and FOUR (4) hits. Historical softness,LOL

You are right. Kab played 16min/gm Macquaid. 13min. He was 5th in toi,4 min behind Boychuk.He played PP and Mqu got hurt during a couple of games.But i stand corrected. Bruins didn't re-sign him despite giving up a 1st,prospect and having cap space. They went to Corvo instead.That's telling..One stat to point out. I get the 11 assists was a nice . But during the most intense time of year,Kaberle was credited with 4 hits in 25 games.25 playoff games/16 min./gm and FOUR (4) hits. Historical softness,LOL

Why are you judging a purely offensive defenseman on his hitting game? That's like judging Darche based on his goal totals.

Kaberle, is what he is.... a 45-50 pt dman, who plays on your third pairing, because he has some questionable defence.

The cost of that is 4.25 million.

If you want a 45-50 pt dman who plays a top 4 role, be prepared to shell out 5.5 million.

If you want a first pairing guy who scores 45-50 pts, and hits everything that moves, be prepared to pay 7.5 million like Shea Weber.

You get what you pay for at the end of the day, and Kaberle is paid at market value for what he brings.

Some tweets to ponder on a relatively quiet day in the rumour mill:

https://twitter.com/...573097390702592

https://twitter.com/...235954738888704

Nothing major but apparently Vancouver is one of the teams interested in Moen while the Habs and Kings have held talks.

On the Kings stuff, I also liked that Lombardi said that the rumors on PK were ridiculous, and that they haven't discussed him at all.

Personally i think its gonna be moving AK to LA for Prospect/picks + Penner (salary dump to make the cap work)

On Moen. What if your team can't kill penalties (ie Chicago and San Jose) and is going to the playoffs. What would you give for a package of both Moen and Gill together? Is that worth a first rounder? I'd rather package both together and get a late first, then ship them out separately for 2 late 2nd rounders.

On Moen. What if your team can't kill penalties (ie Chicago and San Jose) and is going to the playoffs. What would you give for a package of both Moen and Gill together? Is that worth a first rounder? I'd rather package both together and get a late first, then ship them out separately for 2 late 2nd rounders.

I'm in line with what your saying. That's 50% of the league's best tandem. Definitely worth a late first; possibly a 3rd thrown in for good measure.

\

Would be awesome and Moen played in SJ before.

And SJ has given us a first round pick before! :D

Chicago is another team I could see interested in both players.

I think Gill goes to Chicago.

I know they want a centre as well but their PK SUCKS>

They can acquire both if they want both. Chicago seems to always have a lot of pieces where people are unsure where they fit. Ben Smith, Jeremy Morin, Brandon Saad, Marcus Kruger, Jimmy Hayes, all guys the Blackhawks could offer up instead of a draft pick if they wanted to. If Chicago wanted Gill and the Hawks said, "Want Hayes?" I'd say yes please.

I can see both Moen and Gill as Blackhawks. For a really good team they are bad on the PK. Add Moen and Gill and they are seriously improved in that facet of the game. I'd love to get our hands on a guy like Saad but I would be more than happy with a return of Bickell and a 1st for both.

I don't think they'll give up Saad, Especially for 2 ufa's.

The habs have some options on moving a handfull of players. They should be able to land another first rounder, some contracts back and some additional picks and prospects.

I don't think they'll give up Saad, Especially for 2 ufa's.

The habs have some options on moving a handfull of players. They should be able to land another first rounder, some contracts back and some additional picks and prospects.

I'll be happy with getting some 2nds or 3rds back. We have no one worthy of a 1st who's approaching UFA. We could always get a 1st,2nd and a blue chipper if we want to trade Cole to a contender.

I figure Gill and Moen are both worth 2nd round picks individually.

On draft day we often see two 2nd rounders flipped for one first rounder.

So I could see a team giving a first for both guys together.

my thoughts exactly. A second for each or combine them for something of a bit more value. Chicago has a great team but struggle on the PK. Moen and Gill can be 2 guys that would put them over the top. Given the plethora of young talent on the team giving up on a Saad could be plausible.

I think if the Habs pick up less than 6 points in next 4 games the goat will begin to sell.

At that point the Habs could be 12-14 points out of the playoffs with only a dreamers chance of getting in.