Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Although Leblanc has probably earned it, I hope not. Today is Hamilton's 3rd game in less than 48 hours. If Leblanc plays it and then gets recalled, they're asking him to play 4-in-4 or 5-in-5 which is too much. Holland hasn't played much which is why I guess they're comfortable sending him down for today but I assume he'll be back tomorrow (even though that will put him into a 3-in-3 or 4-in-4 situation). If someone is a surprise scratch for Hamilton today up front, that might signal who they're calling.

I just assumed Leblanc wouldn't play today, 3 in 4 days and likely would get limited minutes tomorrow anyways. But I hadn't thought would demote and recall that soon?

Diaz got his bell rung against glass yesterday, I think 2nd game in a row he went down hard.

Almost seems inevitable (specially taking hits like Marleau's) he will be out concussed again and maybe sooner than later?

Guest Stogey24

Apparently Montreal had scouts in Minnesota when they played Carolina last week. I wonder who they were looking at. Niederreiter could be a good fit. Coming off a good year in the A.

Apparently Montreal had scouts in Minnesota when they played Carolina last week. I wonder who they were looking at. Niederreiter could be a good fit. Coming off a good year in the A.

Or they were doing advanced scouting since the Habs are in Minny on Friday night. That would be my guess.

Guest Stogey24

Or they were doing advanced scouting since the Habs are in Minny on Friday night. That would be my guess.

Quite possible. Over a week in advance though?

Quite possible. Over a week in advance though?

It's advanced scouting, you need to see a few games worth if you're actually going to get anything from it. It's not uncommon for scouts to be out 2-3 weeks ahead of an upcoming opponent.

Scouts also look at players sometimes just to look at players and keep the database of the NHL up to date. It doesn't mean anything is imminent.

If nothing is really on the front burner they still have to scout, and just keep on top of the players in the league and how they are improving or not improving for future deals, or for offseason acquisitions, or whatever.

Sure plans change when a trade is being discussed and you might want to be more indepth on a guy you are looking at... but sometimes its good to have a book on guys in Minnesota/Carolina just to have a book if nothing is on the front burner.

Guest Stogey24

It's advanced scouting, you need to see a few games worth if you're actually going to get anything from it. It's not uncommon for scouts to be out 2-3 weeks ahead of an upcoming opponent.

Yeah, that makes sence

Did anyone catch Insider Trading on the TSN intermission tonight? I'm reading that Bob McKenzie said the Habs and Emelin are working towards a contract extension but I didn't see the segment.

That's pretty much all that was mentioned. Emelin might be first in line for an extension even though he's injured and there are other big contracts needing renewal.

I wonder what numbers they're looking at. 4 years /12-14 million?

Did anyone catch Insider Trading on the TSN intermission tonight? I'm reading that Bob McKenzie said the Habs and Emelin are working towards a contract extension but I didn't see the segment.

Caught a bit of it and yes he said Emelin is likely first d-man to get done even though he is currently injured, but didn't hear if talks yet or much else?

I hope so, you know what kind of player he is and you know the Habs want to keep him, so maybe can get a deal by signing while injured and risk he will come back 100%?

TFP states that MB will be opening talks with Subban soon. They expect roughly a doubling of his salary. I don't care about the number, honestly, I just want to hear that negos have started and the term is around 7 or 8.

Got to assume Subban gets $50-64m deal ($7-8m/year).

Yemelin will get a raise, but how much ($4m/year-5 years?)

Even if wanted to resign Markov, will there be room and what might he want, 2year @ current salary?

If not, will create another hole in top 4, with the 2-3 kids filling 3rd pairing.

I'll be amazed if it's under $8 mil myself. The contract will likely be met with horror in the blogosphere, especially among those who forget that the cap has risen every single year of its existence except when it was artificially delfated by a new CBA. The fact is, if you want superstar talent, you have to pay for it. The end. The real mistake lies in paying non-superstars superstar salaries; but I have no problem in opening the vault for Subban (notwithstanding Habs29's probably-valid point that we could have locked him up cheaply had MB not felt the need to set a precedent in dealing with RFAs).

I'll be amazed if it's under $8 mil myself. The contract will likely be met with horror in the blogosphere, especially among those who forget that the cap has risen every single year of its existence except when it was artificially delfated by a new CBA. The fact is, if you want superstar talent, you have to pay for it. The end. The real mistake lies in paying non-superstars superstar salaries; but I have no problem in opening the vault for Subban (notwithstanding Habs29's probably-valid point that we could have locked him up cheaply had MB not felt the need to set a precedent in dealing with RFAs).

He would be the first defenceman in the league making an average of $8M per season if he received that. His agent knows it as well. It's easy to argue for $7M+ for Subban since he's in that echelon of player. It's another thing to argue that he should become the highest paid defenceman in the whole league by average. Hence why TFP believe he'll get around $7.5M, which is double what he makes this season.

Remember, Subban is still an RFA.

He would be the first defenceman in the league making an average of $8M per season if he received that. His agent knows it as well. It's easy to argue for $7M+ for Subban since he's in that echelon of player. It's another thing to argue that he should become the highest paid defenceman in the whole league by average. Hence why TFP believe he'll get around $7.5M, which is double what he makes this season.

Remember, Subban is still an RFA.

Maybe you're right. To be honest, I forgot about that little RFA detail. :unsure: My bad.

Maybe you're right. To be honest, I forgot about that little RFA detail. :unsure: My bad.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Subbans agent argue for a bridge to UFA deal to put on pressure. Offer to take around $6M but it only goes three years. Then again, everything I've read shows Subban wants to stay in Montreal. Especially if the rumors I got from a Detroit reporter about Subban rejecting offer sheets from Detroit and Philly last year are true.

Guest Stogey24

I wouldn't be surprised to see Subbans agent argue for a bridge to UFA deal to put on pressure. Offer to take around $6M but it only goes three years. Then again, everything I've read shows Subban wants to stay in Montreal. Especially if the rumors I got from a Detroit reporter about Subban rejecting offer sheets from Detroit and Philly last year are true.

Why would Subban want another bridge contract. He's coming of a Norris year. His value is through the roof right now.

Why would Subban want another bridge contract. He's coming of a Norris year. His value is through the roof right now.

Because the cap will be higher when he's a potential UFA. Also puts pressure on the team to give him the deal he wants now. As an RFA he loses leverage.