Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

The only way the Habs get Stastny is if Plekanec goes the other way. Galchenyuk is the #1 C of the future and Eller, even on his new deal, will be a lot cheaper than Stastny's new pact. I like Stastny too but would I prefer him to Plekanec? I don't see Stastny being a trade fit.

Yes, I shouldn't of said "fit, just would be a nice player to add and yes not a good trade fit and I know I did suggest trading Tomas for him, but he is simply too good all-round player to give up in his prime.

Which is why I recently thought Ott may fit 3rd centre role, but Habs don't seem to need any centre at moment, nor much of upgrade anywhere, cept minor tweek maybe?

But still like Stastny as a player, just no where near his current salary.

Stastny to Montreal makes little sense. Stastny to Toronto still makes the most sense team wise. They are quite weak down the middle. Gaining a guy like Stastny allows Kadri to move to the third line to face easier competition.

The Leafs, however, would have to do some serious juggling to afford him. It doesn't make sense cap wise. He's quite possibly a rental and Toronto can only afford a $1M separation in salary according to Capgeek. The easiest way for it to work would be to send Phaneuf the other way, but he'd have to be done in Toronto for that to happen. Maybe a Phaneuf/Kulemin for Stastny/Hejda swap? Unlikely to be sure.

To not give up Phaneuf, Colorado would have to keep some salary. Maybe $2M (30%). So Toronto then sends Kulemin and Gardiner for Stastny. Probably a second round (maybe even a first) to make it fair. Or maybe they wait for Bolland to get healthy and ship him with Gardiner. Either way, it'd take some creativity.

But yeah, Stastny to Montreal makes zero sense. Sensible targets are natural wingers than Montreal could package multiple players for that are up, not prospects.

To not give up Phaneuf, Colorado would have to keep some salary. Maybe $2M (30%). So Toronto then sends Kulemin and Gardiner for Stastny. Probably a second round (maybe even a first) to make it fair. Or maybe they wait for Bolland to get healthy and ship him with Gardiner. Either way, it'd take some creativity.

Capgeek's numbers assume Bolland will be on LTIR for the rest of the season. He won't be so the Leafs have less space than shown. They'd need to match salaries exactly for it to work.

Capgeek's numbers assume Bolland will be on LTIR for the rest of the season. He won't be so the Leafs have less space than shown. They'd need to match salaries exactly for it to work.

Gotcha. I think sending Bolland and Gardiner to Colorado is probably a sensible move. Still takes Colorado retaining salary. Colorado is definitely in a position to do so. It's just going to make any Toronto add-on's that much more expensive. Regardless of how much Nonis over-values Gardiner (i.e. Anton Stralman 2.0).

I know nothing about andrighetto, but no way would I move Beaulieu.

Someone noted Andrighetto/Beaulieu maybe what Colorado has eyes on? Roy would be very familiar with both and see as nice additions?

Guest Stogey24

I know nothing about andrighetto, but no way would I move Beaulieu.

Highly doubt they would trade Beaulieu. They wont't make the same mistake twice(McDonagh).

Highly doubt they would trade Beaulieu. They wont't make the same mistake twice(McDonagh).

I am 99% against trading Beaulieu.

As for Andrighetto, it's pretty obvious that the Avalanche are thin in their prospect pool at forward due to all of the young forwards that are on the team (O'Reilly, Landeskog, Mackinnon). They probably want a guy like him in the system.

I... really don't know what I'd want from Colorado. I like Chris Bigras but Avalanche fans overrate the heck out of the guy and he isn't exactly setting the OHL on fire right now. He is though a very intelligent young blueliner.

They really don't have much that interests me. Our mid range prospects would be their top prospects. Everything the Avalanche have is pretty much up on the roster. And that makes things a little more difficult.

As for Andrighetto, it's pretty obvious that the Avalanche are thin in their prospect pool at forward due to all of the young forwards that are on the team (O'Reilly, Landeskog, Mackinnon). They probably want a guy like him in the system.

I... really don't know what I'd want from Colorado. I like Chris Bigras but Avalanche fans overrate the heck out of the guy and he isn't exactly setting the OHL on fire right now. He is though a very intelligent young blueliner.

They really don't have much that interests me. Our mid range prospects would be their top prospects. Everything the Avalanche have is pretty much up on the roster. And that makes things a little more difficult.

Bigras never will never really set any league on fire. He's a younger Josh Gorges, a pure stay-at-home blueliner that can anchor a penalty kill but at 6'0, is considered a tad undersized by some for a blueliner. I'm hoping he makes Team Canada's WJC squad.

Duncan Siemans? or maybe a goalie Spencer Martin? or young goon Mitchell Heard?

schneider, chelios, desjardins........

id trade beaulieau if we are getting a proven upgrade at forward who is signed and not over aged (27 and under)

Guest Stogey24

Andreghetto is another small forward, is that what we need? He did absolutely tear up the plays offs last year in the Q, but I'm sure he would be one of the moveables.

I would just like to point out that Stastny will become a UFA at the end of the season. I don't see how he will keep his huge salary seeing that ever since he signed that deal, he hasn't produced like he did during the first 4 years of his career. There's no way he's gonna get the 6.6 million he's making now!

If you could get Stastny for 5 million$ per year, then I would think he would be a welcome additions to the Habs as a 2nd line center. He's bigger than Plex and Desharnais and has offensive skill. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery?

Question is, who would Colorado want in return?

Guest Stogey24

I would just like to point out that Stastny will become a UFA at the end of the season. I don't see how he will keep his huge salary seeing that ever since he signed that deal, he hasn't produced like he did during the first 4 years of his career. There's no way he's gonna get the 6.6 million he's making now!

If you could get Stastny for 5 million$ per year, then I would think he would be a welcome additions to the Habs as a 2nd line center. He's bigger than Plex and Desharnais and has offensive skill. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery?

Pierre Lebrun said the Habs have absolutely no interest in Statsny.

If Stasny is a UFA on July 1, he will easily get $6.6M or close to it. Cap is going up and there are a lot of teams that can use a 70 point player.

The Habs had two scouts at Colorado's game last night and continue to have one at almost all of their games (one of which worked for the Avs last year, no less). There must be someone they're taking a serious look at.

Big floaty rumoured I've heard is Ryan O'Reilly. Montreal (and everyone else) can't acquire him until the trade deadline and he's the kind of player you'd either have to overpay or walk away from his qualifying offer. O'Reilly has been played mostly as a left winger this year but he still has possibility as a center. Both teams are pretty stacked with options down the middle but the Avalanche wouldn't be looking for a center back necessarily. Might not even look for a winger back. Their defence is held together by string. They are still praying Benoit continues to look better than he ever has.

That's why Montreal is regularly scouting but nothing is really happening. It's all about seeing if they want to commit to O'Reilly long term.

EDIT: I wonder how much Colorado cares about their special teams, which are garbage right now. Sending Moen and Gorges would be the kind of thing to right fix their penalty kill. More would be needed, but still.

Big floaty rumoured I've heard is Ryan O'Reilly. Montreal (and everyone else) can't acquire him until the trade deadline and he's the kind of player you'd either have to overpay or walk away from his qualifying offer. O'Reilly has been played mostly as a left winger this year but he still has possibility as a center. Both teams are pretty stacked with options down the middle but the Avalanche wouldn't be looking for a center back necessarily. Might not even look for a winger back. Their defence is held together by string. They are still praying Benoit continues to look better than he ever has.

That's why Montreal is regularly scouting but nothing is really happening. It's all about seeing if they want to commit to O'Reilly long term.

EDIT: I wonder how much Colorado cares about their special teams, which are garbage right now. Sending Moen and Gorges would be the kind of thing to right fix their penalty kill. More would be needed, but still.

Very interesting. I'll bet Diaz is in the discussion.

Very interesting. I'll bet Diaz is in the discussion.

You always have to keep O'Reilly's age into account, and that Roy really likes him. If anything, Colorado is thinking of a Phil Kessel type return for him. Far less than two first round picks, but one is sure to have to be included. 22 years old with five seasons in the bank. He's an excellent two way player that would immediately make the team better. If the idea is we can commit to that long term, and be fine with overpaying for a guy who won't really hit 70+ points for you but will score 50-60 points while making things happen on every shift, then yes we should do what it takes to get him. We just won't be the only team wanting him. Toronto has wanted him bad and was really pushing for him back before the offer sheet last year.

You always have to keep O'Reilly's age into account, and that Roy really likes him. If anything, Colorado is thinking of a Phil Kessel type return for him. Far less than two first round picks, but one is sure to have to be included. 22 years old with five seasons in the bank. He's an excellent two way player that would immediately make the team better. If the idea is we can commit to that long term, and be fine with overpaying for a guy who won't really hit 70+ points for you but will score 50-60 points while making things happen on every shift, then yes we should do what it takes to get him. We just won't be the only team wanting him. Toronto has wanted him bad and was really pushing for him back before the offer sheet last year.

I didn't mean a Diaz-for-O'Reilly trade per se, just that Diaz would be an attractive ingredient.

Two first-rounders for OR is fairly crazy. Kessel is a truly elite offensive player - O'Reilly isn't. If that's the deal, we should walk away. However, I could see surrendering one 1st-round pick + other elements (Diaz?), on the grounds that OR is still young and that if he were your 1st-round pick, you'd be very happy.

As for O'Reilly's cap hit, well, I've never been all that alarmed about that. Indeed, even in hockey terms, I've always felt that the criticisms of the Kessel trade were somewhat exaggerated, and I'd have no problem with MB making a bold lunge for him. Just not for two first-rounders! ;)

Oh agreed. As I said, less than two firsts but he'd be treated in a similar fashion. Still very young, makes your team noticeably better. He'd be worth a hard push. Especially since a team like Toronto would be pushing for him as well.

ORielly's fine and will be overpaid by someone, cant see him being a big upgrade offensively at all..

Briere has almost double the points as Toronto's big long-term signing in Clarkson, so go ahead Leafs sign ORielly for $5.5-6m for 7 years and should submarine Cup chances for another decade.

ORielly's fine and will be overpaid by someone, cant see him being a big upgrade offensively at all..

Briere has almost double the points as Toronto's big long-term signing in Clarkson, so go ahead Leafs sign ORielly for $5.5-6m for 7 years and should submarine Cup chances for another decade.

if you trade for Orielly his qualifying offer must be at least 6.5 million.

The rumour that Fklund has is diaz and a prospect for del zotto. Depending on the prospect, I would that in a flash. So it is probably all bullsheet.

I think if we were to go after O'reilley, we'd probably have to include pleks and gorges in the package.

Too bad Sherman or larioux still aren't in charge. Who knows, we may have been able to get him for Gorges, Moen and DD.

if you trade for Orielly his qualifying offer must be at least 6.5 million.

The rumour that Fklund has is diaz and a prospect for del zotto. Depending on the prospect, I would that in a flash. So it is probably all bullsheet.

It would give the Habs all of one right handed d-man out of seven (eight if you count Drewiske who seems to be ahead of schedule) and would also take a big chunk out of their limited cap space. It's not worth it - that means two of Gorges, Emelin, Bouillon, or Murray are playing out of position regularly.