Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Bourque's value has flatlined. Maybe it will rise a bit in the offseason if he has a good showing down the stretch and in the playoffs.

To me, Diaz looks like the guy most likely to be traded. He seems to have fallen out of favour with management, and Beaulieu could make him expendable.

According to Pierre Lebrun on RDS, Rene Bourque has been offered to some western conference teams.

About time! Unfortunately, M.B. is gonna have a hard time trading Bourque. He's useless. The Habs will undoubtedly have to sweeten the pot!

The key point in that, to me, isn't that Bourque's on the market. Instead, it's that he's being shopped to Western Conference teams. There are some GM's who are petrified of dealing in-conference for fear of the player coming back to haunt them. If Bergevin has this concern with Bourque, a player who has struggled for much of his tenure with the Habs, then it's reasonable to assume that he has similar reservations about dealing most of the players in-conference as really, Bourque's not the type of player who will come back to haunt a team. In other words, half the potential trade partners are gone already.

I think Bergevin said, in off-season, that teams were mostly inquiring about Eller and Bourque last year.

100% truthful? or maybe I misremember, but that stuck me as odd even last year?

Good point, Brian. I can certainly see not wanting to trade a dangerous, big-name player to a conference rival, but the idea of being afraid of The Human Turd is preposterous...speaking to a kind of hyper-cautious risk-avoidance that I really don't like in a GM. :angry: My preferred GM does WHATEVER it takes to make the team better, ruthlessly and relentlessly damning the torpedoes, caring not a fig for hypothetical anxieties like "what if Bourque scores a goal on us in a playoff series???" Bah.

Don't be so sure there won't be takers. MB can always use the old "he did better in the western conference" argument, and - unfortunately - teams always get a hard-on for players with size and fantasize about how great that big body would be filling in gaps in their roster, etc.. It is kind of regrettable that he has one more year on that dumb contract, however. That'll make it harder. But I never underestimate the stupidity of Cup-hungry teams at the deadline, and neither should Bergie.

It's also reassuring that he wants to move Bourque. A no-brainer, sure, but it shows that he is indeed in the process of identifying duds and looking to ship 'em out.

I believe Bourque still has TWO years left on his contract!?!? In any case, yeah, I agree with you that it's nice to see Bergevin looking to get rid of unproductive players!

Good point, Brian. I can certainly see not wanting to trade a dangerous, big-name player to a conference rival, but the idea of being afraid of The Human Turd is preposterous...speaking to a kind of hyper-cautious risk-avoidance that I really don't like in a GM. :angry: My preferred GM does WHATEVER it takes to make the team better, ruthlessly and relentlessly damning the torpedoes, caring not a fig for hypothetical anxieties like "what if Bourque scores a goal on us in a playoff series???" Bah.

You guys seem to have forgotten a certain John Leclair. When he was traded, he wasn't doing too well in MTL, and when he showed up in Philly, he KILLED us for the better part of a decade!

You guys seem to have forgotten a certain John Leclair. When he was traded, he wasn't doing too well in MTL, and when he showed up in Philly, he KILLED us for the better part of a decade!

Thing is : any big winger would have killed us with Lindros and the Flyers during this decade, coming out of Montreal or anywhere else.

It just happened that this power forward was traded for Marc Recchi, who has been a great player for us, by the way.

Guest Stogey24

Thing is : any big winger would have killed us with Lindros and the Flyers during this decade, coming out of Montreal or anywhere else.

It just happened that this power forward was traded for Marc Recchi, who has been a great player for us, by the way.

I wore number 8 my entire hockey career because of Mark Recchi.

Leclair was just about to break out. Anyone who can remember his play before the trade saw a guy hoping to click with a center. Had he been on the team when we moved damphousse to center I think we would have saw at least 30 goals from him.

As for Bork, he was on the market back when Chicago was looking for a third line winger. They went with Versteeg instead.

A one line blurb from Garrioch's latest column:

Keep hearing the Montreal Canadiens have been floating captain Brian Gionta’s name. That won’t go away.

This isn't the first time Garrioch has reported Gionta's name but curiously none of the other semi-credible rumour folk seem to have his name out there.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/01/25/its-looking-more-and-more-like-the-sabres-will-trade-star-goalie-ryan-miller

This isn't the first time Garrioch has reported Gionta's name but curiously none of the other semi-credible rumour folk seem to have his name out there.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/01/25/its-looking-more-and-more-like-the-sabres-will-trade-star-goalie-ryan-mille

well I hope he is right for a change.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/01/25/its-looking-more-and-more-like-the-sabres-will-trade-star-goalie-ryan-mille

well I hope he is right for a change.

I doubt it, it think he makes up most of his 'rumours', although he was right about Cammy - which you didn't have to be a rocket science to figure out he was going to be moved. I just didn't figure it would be for garbage like Bourque.

"Canadiens are VERY much in on Big Buff." - Eklund.

Happy to hear this from Eklund. I want no part of Byfuglien. Especially on the back end.

You are probably right too want no part of him, but the big fellow would add to the offense and has uber size/grit, so I think would be a very interesting pick-up option for sure.

You are probably right too want no part of him, but the big fellow would add to the offense and has uber size/grit, so I think would be a very interesting pick-up option for sure.

He's not all bad, when he was on Chicago he was a bruising power forward, if I were MB, I would be worried about his work ethic and off ice activities like drunk boating and coming to camp obese. His cap hit isn't bad, 5.2 million for 40-50 points. I wouldn't put him on defense, with the defensive woes, it would be comical to have another liability out there. He is a righty so he'd add size. I have to think getting him would take a first and Beaulieu.

He's not all bad, when he was on Chicago he was a bruising power forward, if I were MB, I would be worried about his work ethic and off ice activities like drunk boating and coming to camp obese. His cap hit isn't bad, 5.2 million for 40-50 points. I wouldn't put him on defense, with the defensive woes, it would be comical to have another liability out there. He is a righty so he'd add size. I have to think getting him would take a first and Beaulieu.

He already has 40points and offense/skill is what Habs need to upgrade on.

Next year (or Marchs') d-core could be;

Subban-Byfuglien

Gorges-Beaulieu

Tinordi-Emelin

Murray (yes I would resign him)

I would rather have him up front. That's where we need size more.

Which is where Buff played for the Jets yesterday and looked like a big freight trail and was tossing Hawks around in the corners and front of net, he simply is a beast when he wants to be.

Which is what intrigues me, he would instantly change look of lineup for next few years and $5.2m isn't a huge salary neither.

and yes I know it aint happening, but wouldn't break my heart if did.

Big Buff would be great - depending, of course, on who is going the other way. That Buff is turning 29 is a slight concern, inasmuch as we're getting a guy who has maybe three prime years left (he strikes me as the type who will flame out sooner rather than later), so I wouldn't want to give up too much quality youth for him.

But in pure hockey terms, I think it takes a lot of work to talk yourself out of the idea that he would be a good addition to the club. So he was never one of these robotic "I just wanna work hard and work out 365 days a year" players - so what.

It would take more than Bourque to land Parenteau. Just look at their numbers. It's more likely to be Eller going the other way, which I wouldn't like. It may help us short-term but we shouldn't be trading long-term assets for short-term gains.

I would go for Buff if we send a big contract like Gorges the other way, and keep our top prospects. It would take a lot more than Gorges, though.

It would take more than Bourque to land Parenteau. Just look at their numbers. It's more likely to be Eller going the other way, which I wouldn't like. It may help us short-term but we shouldn't be trading long-term assets for short-term gains.

I would go for Buff if we send a big contract like Gorges the other way, and keep our top prospects. It would take a lot more than Gorges, though.

Yes, like Eller, so wouldn't be painless at all to pry him from Jets (and aint happening, but still tantalizing skill/physical dimension he would bring)

And have Buff-Subban-Tinordi-Emelin and all of a sudden back end (or play him as forward) is a change in right direction I think.

Big physical players.