Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Without knowing much about Stafford, I suspect he'd be the second coming of Rene Bourque. But that would still be an upgrade on the Hero of the Quebec Nation.

Honestly, I don't get why you keep using "the Hero of the Quebec Nation" line. People here, and even the media, were not THAT pleased to see him sign.

They were happy cuz another frenchie was signing, but he's never been considered much more than a 2nd liner, let alone a Hero.

Maybe you're refering to 4-5 years ago ?

• Upvote 1

"The Hero of the Quebec Nation" line works because it's the only reason he was signed. You can go on about playoff scoring from 2,3,4 years ago all you want, but if he was a soft, washed-up smurf with a significant injury history and was English he wouldn't have been given the time of day. I said it back then: if Brenden Morrow and Daniel Briere had their names switched, we would have signed Morrow. A physical former team captain and Olympian would have been a much better fit in our middle lines.

The Quebec media wasn't too thrilled about it (although they were certainly happy) because it was clear even to them how awful a hockey move it was.

The french angle should be one of the coolest parts of the Canadiens' franchise image. On some level, considering the great french stars this team enjoyed, having Danny Briere receive the torch on opening night is sad. Rocket Richard ,the Roadrunner, Les Gros Bill...Danny Briere?

What I hate is when they force the French angle. I still remember when Turgein was passed the torch at the forum closing ceremonies, even though he hadn't done anything or accomplished thing with the habs. It may be asking a lot, but when they do those ceremonies, the torch should be passed to the best player. This year it should have been Subban. I don't think anyone in the crowd would have had a problem with that.

On the other hand, the RDS Antechambre crowd and dome elements if the French media would probably have been up in arms.

The french angle should be one of the coolest parts of the Canadiens' franchise image. On some level, considering the great french stars this team enjoyed, having Danny Briere receive the torch on opening night is sad. Rocket Richard ,the Roadrunner, Les Gros Bill...Danny Briere?

"Forcing the French issue" is a good way to put it, Habs29. And my feeling is that the average francophone fan is much more knowledgeable, and much less irrational in their nationalism, than prominent segments of the French media and a certain cohort of East End knuckle-draggers. Everybody with any soul wants to see great French Canadian stars playing for the Habs - that's part of the mystique of the franchise. But I think most French-speaking fans can tell the difference between a has-been or a pretender and a genuine French star, and I think they can see the hollowness in all this marketing BS pretty much as well as non-francophones can.

It's like the big kerfuffle over Cunneyworth's inability to speak French. I remain convinced to this day that if Cunneyworth had openly,emphatically, and repeatedly committed to intensive French-language training in the off-season, and been willing to risk a little verbal embarrassment now and then after taking the training, most fans would have responded as they traditionally have - i.e., generously.

Unfortunately, the Canadiens seem to have gone from being somewhat imperious in their attitude to these matters in the 60s, 70s and into the 80s, as well as under the Goat, into being completely craven in their quest to achieve good PR and to avoid bad on the "French" file. The result is a sort of kowtowing to a lower denominator than that of the average fan IMHO. They go for the cheap and easy PR score with embarrassing consequences, like the Turgeon captaincy or the Briere debacle. They are too cowardly to hire the best coach/manager and then provide him with intensive language training. Lame.

"The Hero of the Quebec Nation" line works because it's the only reason he was signed. You can go on about playoff scoring from 2,3,4 years ago all you want, but if he was a soft, washed-up smurf with a significant injury history and was English he wouldn't have been given the time of day. I said it back then: if Brenden Morrow and Daniel Briere had their names switched, we would have signed Morrow. A physical former team captain and Olympian would have been a much better fit in our middle lines.

The Quebec media wasn't too thrilled about it (although they were certainly happy) because it was clear even to them how awful a hockey move it was.

...except people forget that small player with a good post-season record is also why we signed Sergei Samsonov.

"Forcing the French issue" is a good way to put it, Habs29. And my feeling is that the average francophone fan is much more knowledgeable, and much less irrational in their nationalism, than prominent segments of the French media and a certain cohort of East End knuckle-draggers. Everybody with any soul wants to see great French Canadian stars playing for the Habs - that's part of the mystique of the franchise. But I think most French-speaking fans can tell the difference between a has-been or a pretender and a genuine French star, and I think they can see the hollowness in all this marketing BS pretty much as well as non-francophones can.

It's like the big kerfuffle over Cunneyworth's inability to speak French. I remain convinced to this day that if Cunneyworth had openly,emphatically, and repeatedly committed to intensive French-language training in the off-season, and been willing to risk a little verbal embarrassment now and then after taking the training, most fans would have responded as they traditionally have - i.e., generously.

Unfortunately, the Canadiens seem to have gone from being somewhat imperious in their attitude to these matters in the 60s, 70s and into the 80s, as well as under the Goat, into being completely craven in their quest to achieve good PR and to avoid bad on the "French" file. The result is a sort of kowtowing to a lower denominator than that of the average fan IMHO. They go for the cheap and easy PR score with embarrassing consequences, like the Turgeon captaincy or the Briere debacle. They are too cowardly to hire the best coach/manager and then provide him with intensive language training. Lame.

yep that about says it all.

Honestly, I don't get why you keep using "the Hero of the Quebec Nation" line. People here, and even the media, were not THAT pleased to see him sign.

They were happy cuz another frenchie was signing, but he's never been considered much more than a 2nd liner, let alone a Hero.

Maybe you're refering to 4-5 years ago ?

Stuff like this from the Habs site lends some credence to the line. From last night's recap:

After a two-game exodus, Daniel Briere proved that he was the hero this city deserves.

http://www.habsworld.net/out.php?18686

Stuff like this from the Habs site lends some credence to the line. From last night's recap:

http://www.habsworld.net/out.php?18686

In french, the article goes like this :

"Après un exode de deux matchs, l’attaquant a inscrit deux filets et reçu une mention d’aide, lui permettant d’effectuer un retour en force et de participer à tous les buts de la soirée du côté des Canadiens, malgré une défaite amère en prolongation contre les Sénateurs d’Ottawa."

Can be translated by : "After a two-game exodus, the forward scored two goals plus an assist. This allowed him to make a strong come back and to participate to all Habs goals despite the OT loss..."

ANGLO media come with this kind of stuff. This quote would never fly in french. Brière is not the Hero this city deserves.

• Upvote 1

"Après un exode de deux matchs, l’attaquant a inscrit deux filets et reçu une mention d’aide, lui permettant d’effectuer un retour en force et de participer à tous les buts de la soirée du côté des Canadiens, malgré une défaite amère en prolongation contre les Sénateurs d’Ottawa."

Can be translated by : "After a two-game exodus, the forward scored two goals plus an assist. This allowed him to make a strong come back and to participate to all Habs goals despite the OT loss..."

ANGLO media come with this kind of stuff. This quote would never fly in french. Brière is not the Hero this city deserves.

Wow. Admittedly I don't read the french version of the site; I'd have thought the translations were a lot more direct than that.

"Après un exode de deux matchs, lattaquant a inscrit deux filets et reçu une mention daide, lui permettant deffectuer un retour en force et de participer à tous les buts de la soirée du côté des Canadiens, malgré une défaite amère en prolongation contre les Sénateurs dOttawa."

"Exodus?" Who wrote the article, Arthur Rimbaud?

Sergei was signed right after being one of the best forward for Edmonton when they went to the finals.

Montreal was small when we signed him but it was expected for him to be a decent scorer then bring it in the playoffs. He never made it that far.

No different to Briere. Our playoff scoring was the biggest issue last year. So we bring one of the best playoff scorers in but then bounce him around the lineup until he possibly asks to be traded. It's the same story.

But keep up the francophone bias since it surely gets us somewhere positive.

Curtis Glencross?

Currently out on a high ankle sprain (and has had injury issues since a knee on knee). Took only $2.5M because he liked Calgary (which included a no movement clause). I'm a big fan of him as a third liner on a team with strong left wing depth and a second liner on a team focused in other positions. Would love to get him but after taking low money and an NMC I think he'd prefer to stick in Calgary.

Well said, hostie! I'll take it a little further and if anyone feels to ask a question we can have lively debate.

Social conditioning. Ignorance. Indifference. Animosity in the dualist paradigm.

Imo, the death of the Nordiques is and has been the Canadiens bane. Anyone who can't see this clearly has zero objectivity and is stuck in a political paradigm, themselves.

The Montreal Canadiens are a perfect example of how politics have no place in passion. Passion is blind and deaf. Doesn't see race or hear language.

The U de M had that "Canadiens as a religion" concept going a few years ago. I found this intriguing. Politics has no place in Religion either, imo. Which is sadly.. rarely the case.

All that to say.. The Canadiens have been railroaded by the same agenda that has torn Quebec society for decades. Unfortunately, imo, they may even have aided it, out of failure to operate with immunity. Fanatical fans being prodded by columnists with agenda's. A horrible conglomeration of situations where winning has taken a back seat to being politically correct. Vitriol instead of victory & Pride over passion.

Sport is the new religion.

The Montreal Canadiens are a perfect example of how politics have no place in passion.

This doesn't make any sense. Things that inspire great passion, like nationalism and religion, are inherently political. Maybe you could say politics have no place in sports, and you'd merely be naive rather than categorically incorrect. A sports team with a history and cultural standing comparable to the Montreal Canadians will inevitably have a political standing as well.

Guest Stogey24

Well said, hostie! I'll take it a little further and if anyone feels to ask a question we can have lively debate.

Social conditioning. Ignorance. Indifference. Animosity in the dualist paradigm.

Imo, the death of the Nordiques is and has been the Canadiens bane. Anyone who can't see this clearly has zero objectivity and is stuck in a political paradigm, themselves.

The Montreal Canadiens are a perfect example of how politics have no place in passion. Passion is blind and deaf. Doesn't see race or hear language.

The U de M had that "Canadiens as a religion" concept going a few years ago. I found this intriguing. Politics has no place in Religion either, imo. Which is sadly.. rarely the case.

All that to say.. The Canadiens have been railroaded by the same agenda that has torn Quebec society for decades. Unfortunately, imo, they may even have aided it, out of failure to operate with immunity. Fanatical fans being prodded by columnists with agenda's. A horrible conglomeration of situations where winning has taken a back seat to being politically correct. Vitriol instead of victory & Pride over passion.

Sport is the new religion.

That's a pretty good trade rumour.

Treat this as hearsay and merely interesting.

Friend of mine had a chat with a Canadiens player the other day at a strip club. When he asked if he thought there was going to be a trade, the Canadiens player said you never know and he doesn't dwell on it, but if one happened it wouldn't be a guy in the doghouse. To paraphrase, "People don't realize that if you're in Therrien's doghouse, it's like a no trade clause. You're there because he wants to make you a better player and he takes that stuff personal."

Interesting to think about.

If Therrien thinks he's gonna make a 36-year-old Briere a "better player," then his ego is roughly the size of the Big O.

As for the loss of the Nordiques being the bane of the Habs, I totally disagree. The Nordiques intensified the pressure on the Habs to "frenchify" by explicitly playing the nationalist card ("the Nordiques are the true Team of Quebec," etc.) and therefore ratcheting up the urgency of winning the PR battle. People forget that there were millions of dollars in beer sales at stake in that rivalry - compounding enormous pressure on the Habs to play this noxious language game. The Nordiques were bad for the Habs, and personally I don't want them back.

If Therrien thinks he's gonna make a 36-year-old Briere a "better player," then his ego is roughly the size of the Big O.

He probably wants him to work in the system. That said I don't like the handling of Briere but I liked what I saw when he played with Plekanec and Gionta. He was pretty much in the *gasp* Michael Ryder role, which is what he was basically signed for.

"Zero objectivity?" I'd like to point out, that's a completely subjective argument, if we're trying to make ourselves sound as intelligent as possible.

This doesn't make any sense. Things that inspire great passion, like nationalism and religion, are inherently political. Maybe you could say politics have no place in sports, and you'd merely be naive rather than categorically incorrect. A sports team with a history and cultural standing comparable to the Montreal Canadians will inevitably have a political standing as well.

None of that diatribe made any sense. It couldn't have been more incoherent if he were typing with boxing gloves.