Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

It would give the Habs all of one right handed d-man out of seven (eight if you count Drewiske who seems to be ahead of schedule) and would also take a big chunk out of their limited cap space. It's not worth it - that means two of Gorges, Emelin, Bouillon, or Murray are playing out of position regularly.

You keep saying Habs are scouting Aves a ton, what is most likely deal that Roy and Bergevin might be considering? Stastny for Plekanec "type-deal"? Or just minor deal?

I have absolutely zero inside information, but I find it hard to believe that O'Reilly is not at least a part of what's got the Habs so interested. He is just obviously the kind of guy we need, and MB - despite his Bizarro-World Briere signing - knows that.

You keep saying Habs are scouting Aves a ton, what is most likely deal that Roy and Bergevin might be considering? Stastny for Plekanec "type-deal"? Or just minor deal?

It's not just me saying this, it's coming from Colorado's reporter who logs the scouts. If I had to guess, I think it has to be a notable name to justify having a scout at the majority of their games. The only thing with O'Reilly is knowing that he can't be dealt for another 10 weeks or so, would they need to have a 4-5 month scouting log on him? That seems excessive before even factoring in the really high QO he'll be due. There aren't exactly many other big names on that team that realistically could be moved by Colorado other than Stastny/O'Reilly.

We need scoring. Briere is--or was-- a scorer. I don't really see the problem with Briere as a short-term replacement for Rider as rider was bigger buy not physical anyway. The signing may not have worked out as MB wanted, but it is certainly not Bizzaro World.

I believe that MB has a plan and is implementing it. Would I have been happier with a bigger goal scorer? Sure. Who? The Jagr who was invisible in last season's playoffs? Meh. Who else was available as a FA?

The problem is that we as fans are always looking at the short term but a good GM has to take the long view.

We need a goal scorer--- a pure sniper. Another top 4 d wouldn't hurt either. Other than that I believe we are in good shape

Guest Stogey24

We need scoring. Briere is--or was-- a scorer. I don't really see the problem with Briere as a short-term replacement for Rider as rider was bigger buy not physical anyway. The signing may not have worked out as MB wanted, but it is certainly not Bizzaro World.

I believe that MB has a plan and is implementing it. Would I have been happier with a bigger goal scorer? Sure. Who? The Jagr who was invisible in last season's playoffs? Meh. Who else was available as a FA?

The problem is that we as fans are always looking at the short term but a good GM has to take the long view.

We need a goal scorer--- a pure sniper. Another top 4 d wouldn't hurt either. Other than that I believe we are in good shape

Jagr had 35pts in 45 games last season. Then 10pts in 22 play off games, not too shabby(every year prior Jagr was a beast in the post season). Aside from the points he had a strong run in the play offs and had to have been a huge presents in that dressing room. The last time Briere scored a point in the play offs was in 2011-2012 when he was coming off a strong season. He is not that player anymore. Briere was brought in for his name and the language he speaks. It's like Molson forced the signing of Briere on M.B. A 35 year old man with no size, no grit, and major injury problems made no sense. If his name was Daniel Johnson from Manitoba, I can assure you he would not have been signed by Montreal.

Jagr had 35pts in 45 games last season. Then 10pts in 22 play off games, not too shabby(every year prior Jagr was a beast in the post season). Aside from the points he had a strong run in the play offs and had to have been a huge presents in that dressing room. The last time Briere scored a point in the play offs was in 2011-2012 when he was coming off a strong season. He is not that player anymore. Briere was brought in for his name and the language he speaks. It's like Molson forced the signing of Briere on M.B. A 35 year old man with no size, no grit, and major injury problems made no sense. If his name was Daniel Johnson from Manitoba, I can assure you he would not have been signed by Montreal.

Exactly. Briere's last good playoff occured at the same time as Jagr's last good playoff - the difference being that at least Jagr was in the playoffs last season. "Briere's a scorer." No, Briere WAS a scorer. And I agree 100% that if he were named "Joe Smith" he would not be a Hab now.

This team has THE most pressing need of any NHL squad for bigger, skilled forwards. So what does it do with the cap savings acquired by shipping out Erik Cole? It signs pint-sized, washed-up Briere. Sorry, but that IS Bizzarro World.

It's not just me saying this, it's coming from Colorado's reporter who logs the scouts. If I had to guess, I think it has to be a notable name to justify having a scout at the majority of their games. The only thing with O'Reilly is knowing that he can't be dealt for another 10 weeks or so, would they need to have a 4-5 month scouting log on him? That seems excessive before even factoring in the really high QO he'll be due. There aren't exactly many other big names on that team that realistically could be moved by Colorado other than Stastny/O'Reilly.

Thanks.

I didn't mean as a negative, just was more curious your opinion, as I know nothing about how many opposing teams are scouted nor how often.

Guest Stogey24

Exactly. Briere's last good playoff occured at the same time as Jagr's last good playoff - the difference being that at least Jagr was in the playoffs last season. "Briere's a scorer." No, Briere WAS a scorer. And I agree 100% that if he were named "Joe Smith" he would not be a Hab now.

This team has THE most pressing need of any NHL squad for bigger, skilled forwards. So what does it do with the cap savings acquired by shipping out Erik Cole? It signs pint-sized, washed-up Briere. Sorry, but that IS Bizzarro World.

They were talking about Jagr's workout routine on TSN. Apparently the Devils were all waiting on the bus after a game for Jagr to finish his post game workout. He's still seriously dedicated.

They were talking about Jagr's workout routine on TSN. Apparently the Devils were all waiting on the bus after a game for Jagr to finish his post game workout. He's still seriously dedicated.

And seriously a self centred player and why he cant stick with any team for more than a year.

All of you with the hate on for Briere may be right, but for me the jury is still out on this signing. I am not thrilled right now either, but short-term evaluations of signings or trades are seldom right... Reggie HOule's deals and gainey's trade for gomez being the most glaring exceptions to this rule.

Short term evaluations ARE fine for guys that are in the twilight/washed up stage if their careers. We are not talking about a 22 year old who needs to mature or find his game.

All of you with the hate on for Briere may be right, but for me the jury is still out on this signing. I am not thrilled right now either, but short-term evaluations of signings or trades are seldom right... Reggie HOule's deals and gainey's trade for gomez being the most glaring exceptions to this rule.

Guest Stogey24

Short term evaluations ARE fine for guys that are in the twilight/washed up stage if their careers. We are not talking about a 22 year old who needs to mature or find his game.

Briere's game is driving off into the twilight, never to be seen again.

It'll be interesting to see if all 3 acquisitions that MB made this past summer are in the press box for Thursday's game:

Briere

Murray

Parros

Not looking like a good off-season so far.

Murray has been excellent.

Parros was a freak accident. Concussions for some individuals take a while to come back from. MB logic (IMO) was great getting Parros.

Briere on the other hand, I wasn't fond of the move.

I have been quite happy with Murray so far. Parros needs to hang em up and I'm on the fence on Briere. Our forwards are healthy right now, bit he may still show some spark. I would have kept Ryder or signed Jagr over him in hindsight.

It'll be interesting to see if all 3 acquisitions that MB made this past summer are in the press box for Thursday's game:

Briere

Murray

Parros

Who cares about a good off-season? All that matters is the actual season, and this team is currently 3rd out of a 16 team conference. This team didn't have many open roster spots and only so much cap to work with.

• Upvote 1

Briere

Murray

Parros

What is the matter with Murray signing?

And Briere signing needs to "play itself out". Or at least be given more than 30 games before freakin out happens.

From the NY Post:

It seems inexplicable, but Slap Shots has heard continued chatter about the Canadiens’ willingness to trade Max Pacioretty, the 25-year-old winger who apparently isn’t Michel Therrien’s ideal.

Of course the Rangers are interested, but unless the Blueshirts are willing to re-gift Montreal with Ryan McDonagh (and they’re not dealing McDonagh, one of the most untradeable players in the league), there is little reason to believe the clubs have a match, and no, the Habs don’t seem to be a potential landing spot for Michael Del Zotto.

We’re told the Islanders and Flyers are taking serious runs at Pacioretty, who has a club-friendly contract worth $4.5 million per that runs through 2018-19, but Montreal GM Marc Bergevin isn’t prone to dealing him in the East — if he’s willing to deal him at all after the roster freeze melts after Friday night’s games.

http://nypost.com/2013/12/21/nhl-must-meet-about-game-safety/

Ha ha, can you imagine trading Max Pacioretty because he "isn't Michel Therrien's ideal?" :lol: Two years from now, Therrien will be unemployed and MaxPac will continue to be scoring 30 goals per season. That's comedy gold.

Ha ha, can you imagine trading Max Pacioretty because he "isn't Michel Therrien's ideal?" :lol: Two years from now, Therrien will be unemployed and MaxPac will continue to be scoring 30 goals per season. That's comedy gold.

What's weird is that for someone who isn't his ideal, Pacioretty sure plays a lot. He's second only to Plekanec in forward ice time and now is logging somewhat regular minutes shorthanded. Those are two things that seem to contradict Brooks' statement.

That tool Brooks corrected the article. Yesterday it said that MaxPac wasn't Jacaque Martin' ideal.

What's weird is that for someone who isn't his ideal, Pacioretty sure plays a lot. He's second only to Plekanec in forward ice time and now is logging somewhat regular minutes shorthanded. Those are two things that seem to contradict Brooks' statement.

I can't se them trading maxpac and will be pissed if they do

I know theres alot of talk about Desharnais... but what about Eller?

Eller has 1 assist in his last 10 games and is a -5 and has been very inconsistent in the circle.

Does anyone know if he is playing injured or something?

I know theres alot of talk about Desharnais... but what about Eller?

Eller has 1 assist in his last 10 games and is a -5 and has been very inconsistent in the circle.

Does anyone know if he is playing injured or something?

Eller's issue is that he isn't given any decent players to play with or even any consistent line mates since he isn't the RDS poster boy like DD is.