Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

A very unlikely rumour but since this has been quiet for a few days, I'll note it. According to Michel Villeneuve, the Habs and Jets are working on a Pacioretty-Kane trade.

Source: http://www.985fm.ca/audioplayer.php?mp3=199244 (go to 14:20).

Interesting, Kane might be a super addition. Could be good for both teams (with Kane seemingly a bit out of sorts there).

A very unlikely rumour but since this has been quiet for a few days, I'll note it. According to Michel Villeneuve, the Habs and Jets are working on a Pacioretty-Kane trade.

Source: http://www.985fm.ca/audioplayer.php?mp3=199244 (go to 14:20).

They seem like comparable players, so if there is some sort of "issue" with Patches this would make some sort of sense.

On H I/O a number of posters have an absolute fuming hate-on for Pacioretty. He's slumping in terms of production, but (as with many cases of fan outrage) I find the whole thing way over the top. Players can't even go through dry spells any more without half the fanbase calling for their heads on a platter.

They seem like comparable players, so if there is some sort of "issue" with Patches this would make some sort of sense.

On H I/O a number of posters have an absolute fuming hate-on for Pacioretty. He's slumping in terms of production, but (as with many cases of fan outrage) I find the whole thing way over the top. Players can't even go through dry spells any more without half the fanbase calling for their heads on a platter.

I have little issue with Pacioretty's production, but Kane also a 30 goal player and only 22 years old, quite comparable salaries/contracts, so don't think either team would risk much and Kane is more "gritty" player.

Guest Stogey24

Kane is a big Canadian boy. Lets make the trade. Dry spell or not I never liked Pacioretty.

Sounds like a "change of scenery" switch to me. No idea why it'd really be considered.

Maybe is just a rumour and not being considered, but would be an interesting swap, or as main part of a bigger deal dont you think?

Evander Kane in Montreal's market would be DISGUSTING. He already has some attitude problem in Winnipeg, I can just imagine how bad it would be here with all the coverage he'd get. Think Nathan Beaulieu, multiply it by 10.

I haven't watched Kane as much so I'm less aware of his defects, but I definitely think he has a higher ceiling than Patches. Maybe he has an attitude problem or maybe it's overblown, but his speed and strength would look good in our top-9.

Evander Kane in Montreal's market would be DISGUSTING. He already has some attitude problem in Winnipeg, I can just imagine how bad it would be here with all the coverage he'd get. Think Nathan Beaulieu, multiply it by 10.

This

I don't like what I have seen from Kane is the small amount of games I've seen from him. Seems to take stupid penalties at the wrong time and also finds the score sheet in times that aren't important to the outcome of the game.

I don't believe in swapping out core players during dry spells. Pacioretty is one of a key group of young players coing out of the organization. Let him, Price, Subban, Galchenyuk, Gallgher, etc. grow as a team together. Obviously, if the circumstances are extreme (Desharnais), exceptions can be made. Patches is a hard-worker and a proven goal-scorer. Give him time, and he will score.

I don't believe in swapping out core players during dry spells. Pacioretty is one of a key group of young players coing out of the organization. Let him, Price, Subban, Galchenyuk, Gallgher, etc. grow as a team together. Obviously, if the circumstances are extreme (Desharnais), exceptions can be made. Patches is a hard-worker and a proven goal-scorer. Give him time, and he will score.

I totally agree, but it does depend on how management asesses the player. If it's MB's considered judgement that Pacioretty isn't fundamentally as good as we've thought he is (maybe he's not coachable; maybe he's not too bright; maybe he's too chronically injured; wants out; etc.) then it would be a reasonable gambit to move him before the rest of the league catches on. It's sort of the same thing he did with Cole, except applied to a young player. Such a move for another young player would be consistent with the rebuild.

But I'll admit this is a far-fetched scenario. And if we're trading guys just because they're in dry spells, then yeah, we're in worse trouble than I think as an organization.

A small rumour here but in an interview on TSN 690 today, Chris Chelios said that the Habs have gone to scout his son Jake a couple of times. He is in his senior year at Michigan State. The younger Chelios spent some time with Matt Grassi (who the Habs have on an AHL contract) a couple years ago as well. File this one in the memory banks for when the college signing season opens up.

http://awinninghabit.com/2013/11/14/canadiens-may-interested-chelios-son/

This

I don't like what I have seen from Kane is the small amount of games I've seen from him. Seems to take stupid penalties at the wrong time and also finds the score sheet in times that aren't important to the outcome of the game.

I just want you both to know that the Kane stuff gets blown out of proportion for similar reasons that PKs personality have caused issues.

Kane is a far superior player to. Patches because yes then can produce at a similar clip but Kane is physical, drives the net and doesn't shy away from contact.

This trade would make the Habs a tougher opponent overnight.

• Upvote 1

I also just read a 4 year deal on Diaz is really close? If MB does that i'll scream. He didn't learn his lesson DD. We don't need more smurfs, especially on the back end. The have 4 of the 6 are 6' or smaller.

I also just read a 4 year deal on Diaz is really close? If MB does that i'll scream. He didn't learn his lesson DD. We don't need more smurfs, especially on the back end. The have 4 of the 6 are 6' or smaller.

The alternative is trading him at this year's deadline for no particular hockey reason, or else losing the asset for nothing at year's end. Like I said in another thread: as long as we sign Diaz for market value and don't include a NTC, signing him in no way prevents us from trading him in the future, as need requires. The same, incidentally, would have been true of Desharnais, had DD simply continued to produce on the level he'd been doing up until he signed the contract. The DD thing is a freak event. Chill.

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24

I'm sure its old news, but I was just reading Bergevin has been looking pretty hard for another forward. I think their may be more truth behind the whole Kane situation.

I'm sure its old news, but I was just reading Bergevin has been looking pretty hard for another forward. I think their may be more truth behind the whole Kane situation.

Basically he has been looking to make trades because he knows the team has too many forwards and too many defence to properly use everyone. It's an embarrassment of depth, especially when Leblanc looked NHL ready in his few games. The team has an opportunity to shed some salary without losing too much. It's all about finding a team that will take salary without giving salary back and that's very, very hard.

The Pacioretty/Kane rumours are silly though, and Winnipeg is not letting Kane go for our scraps. You don't get a guy like Kane for Desharnais, Bourque and Diaz.

Basically he has been looking to make trades because he knows the team has too many forwards and too many defence to properly use everyone. It's an embarrassment of depth, especially when Leblanc looked NHL ready in his few games. The team has an opportunity to shed some salary without losing too much. It's all about finding a team that will take salary without giving salary back and that's very, very hard.

The Pacioretty/Kane rumours are silly though, and Winnipeg is not letting Kane go for our scraps. You don't get a guy like Kane for Desharnais, Bourque and Diaz.

Why is Pacioretty for Kane silly? Might be good for both teams, similar but different type players and could easily be centerpieces for a big deal. And Winnipeg is not out of playoff race quite yet, but not looking good for them.

Unlikely but not silly.

Why is Pacioretty for Kane silly? Might be good for both teams, similar but different type players and could easily be centerpieces for a big deal. And Winnipeg is not out of playoff race quite yet, but not looking good for them.

Unlikely but not silly.

It's silly for a couple reasons. First, it was spurned by media trying to create a trade in their head. "Oh, Pacioretty is starting slow in Montreal and Kane is controversial in Winnipeg. It works!". Second, it's Montreal taking in more cap on a player. Like, do people even recognize our leading scorer last season was only paid $4.5M? And that was his long term deal amount? Third, not really. If anything it'd be like the Heatley for Hossa swap, actually quite a lot like it. Heatley is a higher profile player so it's perceived he's a more valuable player. When Hossa was dealt it pissed off a lot of players on the Senators because he just signed a deal with Ottawa. It's a major reason Chara didn't care to stay. He saw it that there was no loyalty in Ottawa. Pacioretty signed a pretty decent cap deal with Montreal because he's loyal to the team. Trading him could cause problems in the locker, especially for a player on a long term, high cap deal at only 22 (we do bridge deals in Montreal). In other words, it's just bad player management.

I really like Kane too and think his potential is higher than Pacioretty. I just see it as a dumb deal people are trying to pursue as having more legitimacy than existing.

It's silly for a couple reasons. First, it was spurned by media trying to create a trade in their head. "Oh, Pacioretty is starting slow in Montreal and Kane is controversial in Winnipeg. It works!". Second, it's Montreal taking in more cap on a player. Like, do people even recognize our leading scorer last season was only paid $4.5M? And that was his long term deal amount? Third, not really. If anything it'd be like the Heatley for Hossa swap, actually quite a lot like it. Heatley is a higher profile player so it's perceived he's a more valuable player. When Hossa was dealt it pissed off a lot of players on the Senators because he just signed a deal with Ottawa. It's a major reason Chara didn't care to stay. He saw it that there was no loyalty in Ottawa. Pacioretty signed a pretty decent cap deal with Montreal because he's loyal to the team. Trading him could cause problems in the locker, especially for a player on a long term, high cap deal at only 22 (we do bridge deals in Montreal). In other words, it's just bad player management.

I really like Kane too and think his potential is higher than Pacioretty. I just see it as a dumb deal people are trying to pursue as having more legitimacy than existing.

Still disagree and hypothetical deal still has merit.

I wasn't too worried about Pacioretty and is only couple games since his return, so irrelevant to me what media say on that.

Got no issue with salary of either player, both fair deals for teams.

Hockey is a business and doubt any grudge would be held against Kane nor Bergevin.

Sure, deal could be a flop for a team, but risk you take making most trades and Dudley and Bergevin are supposed to be good evaluators of pro talent.

Chara deal, was "sorry we cant afford you and are signing Redden instead", not Chara saying I don't like Sens (just my vague memory of deal).

Heatly is a player I got no use for and the way Hossa has bounced from team to team like a mercenary, maybe he wasn't gonna resign in Ottawa anyways?