Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Guest Stogey24

Eller's issue is that he isn't given any decent players to play with or even any consistent line mates since he isn't the RDS poster boy like DD is.

so true

I know theres alot of talk about Desharnais... but what about Eller?

Eller has 1 assist in his last 10 games and is a -5 and has been very inconsistent in the circle.

Does anyone know if he is playing injured or something?

His inconsistency has been a consistent knock on him since he was acquired, the linemate note notwithstanding. Given that he still has a couple of RFA years left, they can still be patient but I don't think he's untouchable.

Eller illustrates the problem with young players. Despite fans' relentless fantasies - see all the optimism last summer about Beaulieu and Tinordi stepping in and serving as blueline regulars this season - most of the time, young guns don't just jump in and make an impact in the fashion of Gallagher or Subban. Instead you get what we've seen with Eller: flashes of brilliance where it looks like he's "putting it all together," coupled with long stretches where he struggles. The thing with Eller is that he seems to be quietly evolving into a real 200-foot player with some bona-fide physical presence; he's learning, in other words, to do things that don't count on the scoresheet. So there is continued overall progression even if the numbers aren't there. After initial skepticism where I thought he was at risk of turning into Jan Bulis 2.0, I became convinced last season that this guy would evolve into a 60-point all-around C, and I still think that. Patience must remain the watchword.

• Upvote 2

Absolutely agree, CC. The difference between the lack of criticism for Eller not scoring and DD getting raked over the coals for not scoring is not nationality, but the fact that even when he is not scoring Eller plays and effective 200ft game and can be a physical presence. The same cannot, unfortunately, be said for DD, but even he seems to be improving in this area--must be Gallagher's influence.

Plus, Eller won the game for us in the shoot out and set up some good chances for his line mates last night

Yes, Eller may turn out to be a great 3rd line center who plays in all 3 zones and plays physical hockey. Good teams need that.

Eller line as putting up points when paired with the Gallys.

I wonder how much fire there is with all the smoke about Kreider and Del Zotto? They would both certainly help but it will cost the Habs.

I wonder how much fire there is with all the smoke about Kreider and Del Zotto? They would both certainly help but it will cost the Habs.

With Del Zotto, it's when will he be dealt, not if. Kreider's case is more murky. He still has played well lately but not at the pace he was when he first came up. I think they'd move him but it would be for an upgrade and not a lateral type of swap at this point.

Maybe Jordan Staal is a good model for the type of player Eller will become? Just a thought.

We need another defenceman in order to become contenders, IMHO. Not sure Del Zotto is the answer - we already have a player of what seems to be a similar profile in Diaz. Being in the Vancouver area, I keep thinking we need an Alex Edler, but obviously that's not realistic...

There are some reports saying that the Habs and Sabres are working on a deal.

Guest Stogey24

There are some reports saying that the Habs and Sabres are working on a deal.

Rumblings indicate that a possible sabre/habs deal could be gathering momentum.

— Paul Hendrick (@HennyTweets) January 2, 2014

Hearing some chatter that #Habs and Sabres could be looking at a move. #habson690

— John Bartlett (@BartsBytes) January 2, 2014

Briere back to Buff?

I hope the rumours are true. Buffalo is desperate, Briere is dead weight, and we need a shake-up - it's a perfect storm.

Ok can we get 2 new pucks 3 jockstraps and and a broken goalie stick? We can? Good take it!

I am not bitter or anything. Seriously Buff is a good place for him to finish his career. OK anywhere but Montreal is a good place but Buffalo would be great for him.

If MB can pull this deal off AND resign Subban for an 8 year extention, he will have restored my faith that we are on the right track.

I would miss Diaz, but that deal is too good to pass up...bigger up front more goal scoring and all for the real cost of a 2nd--if in fact we were unable to sign Diaz.

The real question is why on Earth would the Sabres make that deal?

Briere Diaz for Ott.. great trade. Ott is the type of bottom 6 center we haven't had and need. Why I was excited about Blair Betts. Unfortunate situation.

Moulson would require much more imo. To that rumor I say Kaffuffle. Plus as someone said, division opponents rarely swap impact players.

Guest Stogey24

DD, Plek, Eller, White. Acquiring Ott means there is basically no need for Ryan white on this team. Montreal is after a big winger, not another centre. I would bet if any transaction does take place it will be Montreal getting Drew Stafford. He's a sizeable winger who can bury the puck. Briere and a pick for Stafford.

DD, Plek, Eller, White. Acquiring Ott means there is basically no need for Ryan white on this team. Montreal is after a big winger, not another centre. I would bet if any transaction does take place it will be Montreal getting Drew Stafford. He's a sizeable winger who can bury the puck. Briere and a pick for Stafford.

Rumblings are that Stafford is injured long-term.

Rumblings are that Stafford is injured long-term.

If just a month or 2, likely irrelevant and is still worth swapping Briere for him.

Even if just to quiet the media, fan backlash and he is at least big, which would also please a big group of fans.

But, seems underperformer for underperformer, so I don't really care.