Whatever happens, this has been really fun!

REV-G

I don't know about you, but for me, watching our team in these playoffs has been the most fun since our last Stanley Cup. It's like the old Montreal Canadiens pride has returned. No matter how this series goes, I have been entertained and have been so impressed with how they have battled, fought, blocked shots and never given up. It has been so much fun to watch. The younger guys, including Halak and P.K., are getting incredible playoff experience, and the older guys are battling and leading the way and it seems like everyone on the ice is giving everything they have. The shot blocking has been amazing, their refusal to give up on the battles for the puck has been non-stop and overall our team should be making everyone proud. What incredible character and team-first attitude they have all shown. From the coaching, to the goaltending, to the defence, to the forwards, to the special teams, they all seem to have made the decision to go forward with a never give up attitude. I know it's still early in this series, but our guys have battled and fought and already knocked off the best team in the league and I think, for where they finished in the standings, and now without Markov, they deserve all the credit. I am again very proud of our Montreal Canadiens!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about you, but for me, watching our team in these playoffs has been the most fun since our last Stanley Cup. It's like the old Montreal Canadiens pride has returned. No matter how this series goes, I have been entertained and have been so impressed with how they have battled, fought, blocked shots and never given up. It has been so much fun to watch. The younger guys, including Halak and P.K., are getting incredible playoff experience, and the older guys are battling and leading the way and it seems like everyone on the ice is giving everything they have. The shot blocking has been amazing, their refusal to give up on the battles for the puck has been non-stop and overall our team should be making everyone proud. What incredible character and team-first attitude they have all shown. From the coaching, to the goaltending, to the defence, to the forwards, to the special teams, they all seem to have made the decision to go forward with a never give up attitude. I know it's still early in this series, but our guys have battled and fought and already knocked off the best team in the league and I think, for where they finished in the standings, and now without Markov, they deserve all the credit. I am again very proud of our Montreal Canadiens!

Gainey chose these players for precisely these qualities. And you're right to say that they are doing the :hlogo: proud - playing like champions even if they don't have the talent of champions. Give me a team of plucky overachievers rather than a talented bunch of bums any day.

But I can't resist adding that "the old Montreal Canadiens pride" didn't stop there; it included pride at being the best.

Not to be a hijacker, but this thread might be a good place in which to trade musings on what are reasonable expectations for the Habs in a 30-team cap world. Wamsley, for instance, has been adamant that ONLY a Cup will satisfy him. BTH has said something similar. Other fans (younger?) seem to take the view that beating Washington, or beating Washington + Pittsburgh, constitutes a great run. This is your view here.

Here's one way to look at it. We has a 2nd-overall team in 2008 that sputtered out in the playoffs and lost in the 2nd round. In 2009 we had a stacked team that was universally picked to contend for the Stanley Cup but collapsed pathetically in the second half, barely made the playoffs and was swept. In 2010, we have a totally reconstructed team that has come together spectacularly in the playoffs and now has probably a 40% chance of getting into the final four. Put it all together, and the last three seasons have in fact seen the Habs emerge as something like an elite organization: a regular season powerhouse, an on-paper 'contender' that flamed out, and a 'plucky underdog' pulling off playoff upsets. Other than Pittsburgh and Detroit, I can't think of too many organizations that have offered their fans such a rich mix.

If things go on like this, sooner or later we will punch through.

2002 was really fun, I don't think this run has hit those heights. When Audette scored the winner in Game 3 that year in OT to take a 2-1 series lead, all kinds of delusions of grandeur popped through my head. That experience has definitely tempered my expectations. In fact, I have no expectations, which is why I'm enjoying the wins. I won't be happy with a loss, but I won't be neccesarily disappointed: the goal remains the same, and we don't have the team I think we should desire yet.

Oh yeah, I'll add that seeing Subban play like he has is reminiscient of how Markov played in that 2002 run. Markov really stood out for me that year, just as Subban had. The next year, Markov went from being a promising kid to our best d-man.

I also am enjoying every minute of these playoffs. No matter what happens, i,ll be satisfied. I guess it's because my expectations were so low coming into the playoffs, but just the fact that our boys took out the powerhouse Capitals in the first round has made me giddy!

IOf we lose to penguins in the 2nd round, I'll be disappointed, but I still thikn it will have been an interesting spring.

Obviously the only goal is the Stanley cup, but let's be honest here. It's alot tougher to win the cup in a 30 team cap world vs. a 19 or 20 team league without any cap!

My sentiments exactly!!

Exactly I'm tired of people on here and aroung the world in the media insulting us after a win. This has been an excellent experience. There are no more "Dynasty teams" anymore unless you finish last every year for 5 years (aka pittsburgh) If anyone wants such a predictable sport I suggest they go watch Soccer where every year you know the final 4. I mean having endured the last 2 years of Pens/wings finals is enough I prefer not knowing because thats what makes it so amazing to expereince.

Although I do respect everyone's opinion on there own personal expectations. I do think reality should set in at some point that this is not the 70's this is 2010 30 teams and a salary cap.

If Montreal had finished last and get a few really high draft picks then perhaps my expectations would be more demanding because you could get superstars for cheap for their first few years in the league. Since a large majority of our fanbase demands a cup and 82 wins a season the habs will never go that way. There only way is this way. Let's support them and appreciate their efforts, and not wish they were Pittsburgh. This is our team, and this is one hell of a ride were on.

Go Habs Go :hlogo:

Not to be a hijacker, but this thread might be a good place in which to trade musings on what are reasonable expectations for the Habs in a 30-team cap world. Wamsley, for instance, has been adamant that ONLY a Cup will satisfy him. BTH has said something similar. Other fans (younger?) seem to take the view that beating Washington, or beating Washington + Pittsburgh, constitutes a great run. This is your view here.

It's not that only a Cup will satisfy me. These playoffs have had me excited enough that I have to watch every game. I haven't really felt like that all season (except for maybe the Olympics). I was starting to care less about hockey. Even if they lose now, I'll be pretty happy that I got to watch this.

I just find it a bit embarassing that there are people screaming things like "We shook the Earth!" after a 1st round playoff win. One 6-3 dismantling to the Pens later and all of this premature euphoria was extinguished.

2002 was really fun, I don't think this run has hit those heights. When Audette scored the winner in Game 3 that year in OT to take a 2-1 series lead, all kinds of delusions of grandeur popped through my head. That experience has definitely tempered my expectations. In fact, I have no expectations, which is why I'm enjoying the wins. I won't be happy with a loss, but I won't be neccesarily disappointed: the goal remains the same, and we don't have the team I think we should desire yet.

This is exactly how I feel. Once bitten, twice shy.

In 2002 I entered the playoffs with the attitude that this was all gravy and making the playoffs were the french fries.

No expectations. That all changed after Audette made it 2-1 and the Habs carried a 3-0 lead into the 3rd period with a 3-1 series lead staring us right in the face. When they collapsed, it took an enjoyable experience and turned it into one of the most devastating losses I have ever endured as a sports fan.

If the Habs take this run to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals and lose, I will not look back at this season

with fondness anymore than I do the 1989 Finals team. The chasm between winning the Cup and losing in the

Cup Finals is so huge that irrationally I would prefer to avoid the heartbreak altogether.

I have tasted the championship feeling, nothing else will ever satisfy. There is 1st place and 29 second place finishers

in my mind. I am enjoying the run, I sit in front of the TV and pray for the miracle, but I haven't allowed myself to

lose the rational side that tells me this can't last forever.

Effort is what dictates my expactations...if players play to their all, as the cliché goes, I am happy...losing with a half-assed effort would make any loss a disappointment.

Exactly I'm tired of people on here and aroung the world in the media insulting us after a win. This has been an excellent experience. There are no more "Dynasty teams" anymore unless you finish last every year for 5 years (aka pittsburgh) If anyone wants such a predictable sport I suggest they go watch Soccer where every year you know the final 4. I mean having endured the last 2 years of Pens/wings finals is enough I prefer not knowing because thats what makes it so amazing to expereince.

Although I do respect everyone's opinion on there own personal expectations. I do think reality should set in at some point that this is not the 70's this is 2010 30 teams and a salary cap.

If Montreal had finished last and get a few really high draft picks then perhaps my expectations would be more demanding because you could get superstars for cheap for their first few years in the league. Since a large majority of our fanbase demands a cup and 82 wins a season the habs will never go that way. There only way is this way. Let's support them and appreciate their efforts, and not wish they were Pittsburgh. This is our team, and this is one hell of a ride were on.

Go Habs Go :hlogo:

My thanks to you and the cool cucumber for speaking for me again. My understanding or lack thereof is that one has to manage one's objectives year after year. When we went for it, it afffected the next couple of years.

The thing that I think I understand and for which I much admire the job Bob Gainey has done is that he not only has to build a winner when possible to go for the cup, he has to ice a good and viable team every year.

We were not too far from havng a very serious team this year. Take away Markov and Camallerri for the year and we struggled. With them we were serious. AK has failed to launch, perhaps due to the Kovy connection, but I share the view that we, in the real world have been blessed with a good team with lots to recommend it.

It's a Bob Gainey team, the result of one of the most radical and radically successful rebuilds and overhauls in recent history, without the luxury of five years to celllar dwell for franchise players in the draft.

Our Canadiens is a hockey club, year in year out that doesn't sell short and hope that our performance will payoff like an accounting trick.

Bob Gainey respects his community of fans, hockey fans.

This years playoff take me back to the "penny from heaven" year when nothing was expected and we could have knocked off the mighty Islanders - if only Naslund could have scored on the PS when we were in control and the reffing (i think it was Bruce Fxckin Hood) didn't screw us over. and the cindererlla run ended. That team had a lot of battle tested habs. We have Gomez, Gionta and Gill.

However. My concern is that the handling of some of the young players - like the Kostitsyns during this years playoffs is going to come back to bite us in the ass.

I was really hoping the habs would fire Martin, now there is no chance of that. Long term i think that is going to hurt the habs. The only young players who seem to flourish under him are muckers and grinders.

Latendresse was poorly handled by the habs for 3 years, got into Martins doghouse and never got out. The habs trade him and suddenly he overnight realizes all the potential everyone saw in him.

Pouliot goes down works with Boucher come up and demonstrates the promise everyone saw in him and after a coue of months of Martin reverts to being the lazy perimeter player from Minnisotta.

Amazingly after sucking all year Lapierre woke up at the later half of the caps series.

SK74 has been treated like crap by Martin. Anyone else can make 2-3 mistakes in a game, MAB can make 10 and they don't miss a shift, but SK74 gets nailed to the bench and then banished to the pressbox. Are we going lose (to the khl) or give up on another young talented player with a lot of upside becoz Martin has some irrational dislike for him??? It makes no sense that Maxwell AND darche were dressed over SK74!!!

I also don't get all of the hate for Ak46. Yeah he has had a few highs and a lot of downs during the playoffs. But he is a goal scorer and a streaky one at that - they are going to have their slumps - hell after co

I v back from his injury Cammy sucked, until he got his back in the playoffs. If we are going to succeed we need AK46 scoring - he ain't gonna do it frm the 4th line and Pyatt is an anchor on the 1a/1b line with Pleks. That goal last game, the original giveaway was by the Martin goldenboy grinder Darche - who should not have been playing and only ended up playing around 2min. The next big blunder was by MAB who I don't care if we have only 4 dmen available - I don't want him playing D, with the exception of the PP. That goal last game was not on AK46. I am beginning to wonder if AK46 or Sk74 were named lebeau or gagner whether they would be as villified as they are by the Habs coaches, fans and media.

I really worry tha we are going to give up and give away a couple of top level players only to watch them star elsewhere. Sad part it probably won't be a big deal since their name isn't Guy or Pierre.

I shudder to think what a full year of Martin may do to Subban.

For this run, they can keep dreaming, hoping for a big run a'la 71' or 86 or 93. BIg difference is that those 86/93 teams had a lot more talent. But lets not forget that 86 was the coming out party for Roy, Lemieux, Skrudland, Macphee, Chelios had seen playoffs a few weeks earlier, but his position was cemented in 86.

In 93 we had Leclair and Desjardins really step up. Too bad Savard unloaded BOTH in a deal for Rechhi :wacko:

This year, Halak has been the story. Cammy has dropped the label of no playoff experience or playoff fizzler (at least from his year in Calgary), Gorges has really impressed and this could be the coming out party for Subban. Too bad Ak46/Sk74 may not be given a fair shake. I remember Burns really hampered the habs chances in 89 by his handling and misuse of Lemieux - and in the end Lemieux ended up getting traded for sylvie Turgeon :puke: and only went on to be a conn smythe winner as sell as pick up a couple more rings.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

It's pretty simple hab29retired, JM and the new coaching staff doesn't owe the players and especially the young players anything. It has been crystal clear all year, you follow the program and do what you are suppose to do and you will play alot, if you don't there are consequences, ice tme and benchings.

The kosty bros have brought it on themselves, they will both be gone next year.

Pouliot actually hasn't been bad in the playoffs, true he isn't scoring but he is playing well and taking the body. He has earned his ice time.

Lats doesn't belong in a JM system, he was moved, good for him if he succeeds. I have no problem with him being moved, he was a total underachiever in Montreal.

I have said all along that habs playing alot of playoff games this year will be excellent for there future, JM will figure out who should stay and who should go. We have all seen the players who have earned the ice time and those who haven't. So like the system or JM or not, the reality is that he has done exactly what he was brought in to do, BG got the vets and talent he wanted, put it togehter and now they are making pretty impressive run.

There will be more changes to next years team for sure.

It's pretty simple hab29retired, JM and the new coaching staff doesn't owe the players and especially the young players anything. It has been crystal clear all year, you follow the program and do what you are suppose to do and you will play alot, if you don't there are consequences, ice tme and benchings.

The kosty bros have brought it on themselves, they will both be gone next year.

Pouliot actually hasn't been bad in the playoffs, true he isn't scoring but he is playing well and taking the body. He has earned his ice time.

Lats doesn't belong in a JM system, he was moved, good for him if he succeeds. I have no problem with him being moved, he was a total underachiever in Montreal.

I have said all along that habs playing alot of playoff games this year will be excellent for there future, JM will figure out who should stay and who should go. We have all seen the players who have earned the ice time and those who haven't. So like the system or JM or not, the reality is that he has done exactly what he was brought in to do, BG got the vets and talent he wanted, put it togehter and now they are making pretty impressive run.

There will be more changes to next years team for sure.

The interesting thing is that the new players Gainey brought in are doing their job. The players that are left from years past are struggling. We will probably see the rest of the team purged this summer. I will be shocked if either Kostitsyn is back.

I also don't get all of the hate for Ak46. Yeah he has had a few highs and a lot of downs during the playoffs. But he is a goal scorer and a streaky one at that - they are going to have their slumps - hell after co

I v back from his injury Cammy sucked, until he got his back in the playoffs. If we are going to succeed we need AK46 scoring - he ain't gonna do it frm the 4th line and Pyatt is an anchor on the 1a/1b line with Pleks. That goal last game, the original giveaway was by the Martin goldenboy grinder Darche - who should not have been playing and only ended up playing around 2min. The next big blunder was by MAB who I don't care if we have only 4 dmen available - I don't want him playing D, with the exception of the PP. That goal last game was not on AK46. I am beginning to wonder if AK46 or Sk74 were named lebeau or gagner whether they would be as villified as they are by the Habs coaches, fans and media.

Dude, your not being objective. The difference between Cammalleri and AK46 during their struggles is that even though Camms was having a hard time putting the puck in the net, he was playing hard and giving 110% every shift and every game.

AK46 plays 1 out of every 5 games(if that!) He's been floating around out on the ice. He doesn't care and is weak on the puck. In the past 9 games, AK46 coughed up the puck at least 10 times for absolutely no reason. He was nonchalant and wasn't paying attention to what he was doing.

True he has some talent and he has a great shot, but if he doesn't play hard (like the rest of the team) he doesn't deserve to play at all!

Chris nailed it on the head.

AK46 regardless of potential represents everything that set this organization back in the last 2 years.

He is not a kid anymore, he is 25 years old and if he is trying his hardest then this is the best he has got.

We all know he is not, we all know that he has another gear. It is pretty obvious by his Godfather like

purge that Gainey is done with the enigmas who refuse to work hard.

So bye bye.

Everybody he has brought in is a tireless worker. Gomez, Gionta, Cammalleri, Gill etc. Look a the first

round last season. Over matched against the Bruins, the Habs mailed in the last 3 games.

This season, they are overmatched and they are doing everything in their power to win. If AK46 can't

draw inspiration from Moore diving to block the puck with his face and Gorges getting hammered every

second he is on the ice, what the hell will inspire him? Playing with his brother?

Give me a team that gives a shit about winning over a team of Kovalev's any day.

Also, Gomez gets a lot of flak about his contract, but that is the type of player you win with.

If he made $4.5M per season, he would be universally loved in Montreal.

Chris nailed it on the head.

AK46 regardless of potential represents everything that set this organization back in the last 2 years.

He is not a kid anymore, he is 25 years old and if he is trying his hardest then this is the best he has got.

We all know he is not, we all know that he has another gear. It is pretty obvious by his Godfather like

purge that Gainey is done with the enigmas who refuse to work hard.

So bye bye.

Everybody he has brought in is a tireless worker. Gomez, Gionta, Cammalleri, Gill etc. Look a the first

round last season. Over matched against the Bruins, the Habs mailed in the last 3 games.

This season, they are overmatched and they are doing everything in their power to win. If AK46 can't

draw inspiration from Moore diving to block the puck with his face and Gorges getting hammered every

second he is on the ice, what the hell will inspire him? Playing with his brother?

Give me a team that gives a shit about winning over a team of Kovalev's any day.

Also, Gomez gets a lot of flak about his contract, but that is the type of player you win with.

If he made $4.5M per season, he would be universally loved in Montreal.

I've said from the begining. Gomez is a fun player to watch. He is so good with the puck. I don't want to focus on his contract. Rather his performance. Gomez replaced Saku. I do not believe this team would be here with Saku. Too much focus is put on contract by fans. It's like we are all GMs. It is a good way to grade a player, but really, sometimes a guy should just look at it for what it is. A game. Something that is entertaining. Gomez is very good and entertains me.

Edited by BCHabnut

AK still has potential...maybe not with the habs but another team...so I dont want to see him go for a bag of pucks. I do agree that SK is getting the short end of the stick, I've been and still am a big critic of Martin's style of coaching in regards to rookies. I think it's dumb to not use SK because of some deep seeded hate Martin has for him. If Moen is going to be 1-2 line hopping, a line of Moore/Laps/SK would be dynamite. I really hope he draws back in.

AK still has potential...maybe not with the habs but another team...so I dont want to see him go for a bag of pucks. I do agree that SK is getting the short end of the stick, I've been and still am a big critic of Martin's style of coaching in regards to rookies. I think it's dumb to not use SK because of some deep seeded hate Martin has for him. If Moen is going to be 1-2 line hopping, a line of Moore/Laps/SK would be dynamite. I really hope he draws back in.

If Martin hates rookies, why has Tom Pyatt played every game since the trade deadline?

Why is SK getting the short end of the stick? He has been a problem for 2 years. Pyatt, Subban both rookies do exactly what JM wants them to do and they are rewarded by being on the big club and earning minutes every night. So i don't see a JM problem with with rookies.

I am not even a big JM fan but his teams do work hard. He asks his players to follow the system or else, if players can't figure that out it's on them.

What has SK done to earn ice time?

SK is clearly a problem in the room, and I am beginning to suspect that the root of AK's problems are with SK. I think they both want out of town and frankly, they will get their wish.

I have no doubt that SK is being told "do this, and this only" when he gets in the lineup, and he just ignores it. He is not being punished for a mistake, he is getting punished for being a shit head who doesn't listen to the coach or buy into the team concept.

If we had a decent winger to insert, I suspect AK would be in the press box too. Watching Gomez, Gionta, Gill, Cammy, Halak, etc.. dig down deep and do whatever it takes to win, it makes AK look even worse.

Why is SK getting the short end of the stick? He has been a problem for 2 years. Pyatt, Subban both rookies do exactly what JM wants them to do and they are rewarded by being on the big club and earning minutes every night. So i don't see a JM problem with with rookies.

I am not even a big JM fan but his teams do work hard. He asks his players to follow the system or else, if players can't figure that out it's on them.

What has SK done to earn ice time?

At this point everything points to an immature player who refuses to listen.

What else can the Canadiens do? They send the kid to Hamilton in 2009, he complains.

They send him at training camp, he threatens to quit.

The sense of entitlement is obviously not easy to get rid of in him.

One wonders how AK would have turned out if the Habs never drafted Sergei.

What else can the Canadiens do? They send the kid to Hamilton in 2009, he complains.

Or vice versa, really. I don't think another team would want to trade for both of them.

Let's not forget the "incident" when he'd just finished junior (in 2007). The Habs signed him to an ATO so he could skate with the Bulldogs. When he quickly learned he wouldn't be playing, he whined until they let him go. Anyone remember what happened back in 2007?

As for now, I mentioned this the other day: some things were said after Game 5 of the Washington series; unless there are multiple injuries (or the Habs become flat out desperate), he ain't playing.

Let's not forget the "incident" when he'd just finished junior (in 2007). The Habs signed him to an ATO so he could skate with the Bulldogs. When he quickly learned he wouldn't be playing, he whined until they let him go. Anyone remember what happened back in 2007?

As for now, I mentioned this the other day: some things were said after Game 5 of the Washington series; unless there are multiple injuries (or the Habs become flat out desperate), he ain't playing.

What things were said?