Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

Top ten-fifteen forwards in the NHL u23 (all players can be dealt for the right price >> Wayne Gretzky)

And who is arguing that his defensive game is good? Surely its not me!

My argument is that we cannot let an opportunity to add to our SCORING slip away because we are questioning the defensive game of a 22 year old center who has basically been the key player on his teams top line since he arrived full time now in his 3rd season. Even more so, that he's been "the guy" playing on one of the weakest teams in the league over that stretch. But a team and its fans starving for some real scoring talent for the last 30 years in Mtl is gonna pass because in year 1 and 2 of his career he's been terrible defending? who hasnt been on Anahiem? 

Again, not once did i suggest his defensive game is good. I am suggesting that we trade for him today regardless of his defensive numbers and I would be willing to include one of Harris or Barron, Beck or Tuch and a handful of picks to make sure it gets done. How many picks would be the question I asked in a trade proposal thread.

I'd love to see a list of forwards in the last 10 seasons that have put up more than 61 and 65 points in there rookie and sophomore seasons?  I'm sure it's a very short list  

11 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Top ten-fifteen forwards in the NHL u23 (all players can be dealt for the right price >> Wayne Gretzky)

And who is arguing that his defensive game is good? Surely its not me!

My argument is that we cannot let an opportunity to add to our SCORING slip away because we are questioning the defensive game of a 22 year old center who has basically been the key player on his teams top line since he arrived full time now in his 3rd season. Even more so, that he's been "the guy" playing on one of the weakest teams in the league over that stretch. But a team and its fans starving for some real scoring talent for the last 30 years in Mtl is gonna pass because in year 1 and 2 of his career he's been terrible defending? who hasnt been on Anahiem? 

Again, not once did i suggest his defensive game is good. I am suggesting that we trade for him today regardless of his defensive numbers and I would be willing to include one of Harris or Barron, Beck or Tuch and a handful of picks to make sure it gets done. How many picks would be the question I asked in a trade proposal thread.

I'd love to see a list of forwards in the last 10 seasons that have put up more than 61 and 65 points in there rookie and sophomore seasons?  I'm sure it's a very short list  

I don't think anyone is questioning whether the Habs should be interested in Zegras. He is obviously a talented forward, it's a matter of what price do you pay to get him. 

Thanks for your trade suggestions. 

27 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I always thought the Bruins could be a team interested in Monahan given that Bergeron and Krecji retired. Not bad timing for Monahan to pick up 3 points in a game. 

He's a pretty good fit in theory.  But they don't have a 2nd rounder until 2026 and are out a first rounder this season as well.  Plus, their prospect pool is lousy and cap space is an issue.  Knowing that, it's hard to find a fit that's a good enough return for the Habs and keeps Boston cap-compliant.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

He's a pretty good fit in theory.  But they don't have a 2nd rounder until 2026 and are out a first rounder this season as well.  Plus, their prospect pool is lousy and cap space is an issue.  Knowing that, it's hard to find a fit that's a good enough return for the Habs and keeps Boston cap-compliant.

I would be happy with their 2025 1st BUT the Bruins tend to be a little more conservative with trading picks than Tampa and Florida so I don't think they want to trade another 1st rounder. 

50 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't think anyone is questioning whether the Habs should be interested in Zegras. He is obviously a talented forward, it's a matter of what price do you pay to get him. 

Thanks for your trade suggestions. 

As well as the cost to resign him. I’d love to add him if both were right, but I’m pretty sure Anaheim is going to be looking for a PLD type deal. We dodged that bullet, and as much as I’d love to add a guy like Zegras, I wouldn’t want to pay the price Anaheim will be looking for.

This does make sense to me as Broberg has been playing exceptionally well in the AHL. If the Oilers can free up cap space than I can definitely see them being interested in Monahan. The Oilers are all in as much as any team in the NHL. 

Why it makes sense for the Oilers to trade Brett Kulak (msn.com)

11 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

As well as the cost to resign him. I’d love to add him if both were right, but I’m pretty sure Anaheim is going to be looking for a PLD type deal. We dodged that bullet, and as much as I’d love to add a guy like Zegras, I wouldn’t want to pay the price Anaheim will be looking for.

Agreed, Zegras won't be cheap as Verbeek (or any GM) doesn't want to look bad by giving up too soon on a talented young player that may turn into a stud after you trade him. I am sure Hughes has checked the price but will be careful. 

15 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I am Vancouver-centric, since I live in this region, but I would not be shocked if the Canucks are in on Monahan.

I could see that and they have some prospects that are near NHL-ready that might be more appealing than a draft pick.

watching Xhekaj play for Laval this season, makes me wonder if he may not be the odd LD out from the Habs lineup. He would be an excellent addition to EDM for example. I think it would be a mistake by the Habs, but it would not surprise me from HughGort since they are building the team in a different way than I would. So, here it is:

To EDM: Xhekaj (two more waiver exempt seasons, for salary cap relief), would fit right in in their 3rd pair.

To MTL: one of Xavier Bourgault (2 more waiver excempt seasons) or Raphaël Lavoie (waiver eligible, in the AHL right now). I think Lavoie would fit well as a mid-6 forward with the Habs. Bougrault's projection has dropped down from what I can read, but he seems to have the higher pedigree.

from The Athletic: It cannot be understated how down the organization was on Lavoie until the second half of last season. Based on his body of work of the first 2 1/2 years of an entry-level contract, it’s very likely the Oilers would have had to think hard about even issuing him a qualifying offer.

A more recent Athletic article: Wheeler perfectly summed up the promise of Lavoie, writing “(he) brings something unique to a lineup, and something few teams have. And whether he’s on a second or a third line in the NHL someday doesn’t really matter, because I suspect the inputs will always be there, even if the outputs aren’t. Lavoie’s going to be the kind of player who creates more shots than his minutes, linemate and usage would dictate. That has value, especially when you’re 6-foot-4.”

Edited by alfredoh2009

34 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

watching Xhekaj play for Laval this season, makes me wonder if he may not be the odd LD out from the Habs lineup. He would be an excellent addition to EDM for example. I think it would be a mistake by the Habs, but it would not surprise me from HughGort since they are building the team in a different way than I would. So, here it is:

To EDM: Xhekaj (two more waiver exempt seasons, for salary cap relief), would fit right in in their 3rd pair.

To MTL: one of Xavier Bourgault (2 more waiver excempt seasons) or Raphaël Lavoie (waiver eligible, in the AHL right now). I think Lavoie would fit well as a mid-6 forward with the Habs. Bougrault's projection has dropped down from what I can read, but he seems to have the higher pedigree.

Friedman reported last night that many teams have called about Xhekaj and they have all been told that the Habs are not trading him. 

47 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Lavoie cleared waivers a few months ago and you want to move Xhekaj for him?  They could have had him for free and chose not to take him.  He's not a mid-six forward with any NHL organization.  Taking him back as a throw-in as part of a bigger trade, sure, why not?  But to move anyone of value for him would be a significant mistake; it's not as if he's completely dominating in Bakersfield either; Edmonton is about to sign Corey Perry to put him in a role that Lavoie tried to fill and failed.  He is not that good, despite your long-standing hopes for him to become something.

If you want him on Montreal, wait until October.  He'll be on waivers again then.

Why? Because they have French names. The hardest NO possible on this one.  Zero chance Hughes does this. Edmonton would do this in a heartbeat.  Should they decide to trade Arber (I doubt they will), they can do much much much better. 

17 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Friedman reported last night that many teams have called about Xhekaj and they have all been told that the Habs are not trading him. 

I believe teams are checking for sure and I believe the Habs are not trading him. Arber is unique. He is not going anywhere unless the Habs get absolutely blown away by an offer. 

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Why? Because they have French names. The hardest NO possible on this one.  Zero chance Hughes does this. Edmonton would do this in a heartbeat.  Should they decide to trade Arber (I doubt they will), they can do much much much better. 

they are the highest forward prospects outside of Holloway. Nothing to do with name origin.

If a trade one-to-one Holloway for one of Strubble/Harris/Xhekaj was possible, I would do it in a heartbeat; but from reading the Athletic and other EDM news coverage, I don;t see that happening

Savard for Holloway is not happening

6 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

they are the highest forward prospects outside of Holloway. Nothing to do with name origin.

If a trade one-to-one Holloway for one of Strubble/Harris/Xhekaj was possible, I would do it in a heartbeat; but from reading the Athletic and other EDM news coverage, I don;t see that happening

Savard for Holloway is not happening

Bourgault has 12 pts. in 31 games in the AHL, Arber has 11 pts. in 17 games and he is a defensemen.  You didn't think this one through. 

I agree Holloway won't be easy to get. The only 2 Oilers prospects that interest me are Holloway and Broberg but Broberg is a LD which the Habs have plenty of. The rest are of no interest to me. 

3 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Bourgault has 12 pts. in 31 games in the AHL, Arber has 11 pts. in 17 games and he is a defensemen.  You didn't think this one through. 

I agree Holloway won't be easy to get. The only 2 Oilers prospects that interest me are Holloway and Broberg but Broberg is a LD which the Habs have plenty of. The rest are of no interest to me. 

exactly.

and I said I do not want to see Xhekaj traded. I love the guy.

but from EDM's perspective, he would make them so much better during their cup window. He sould be an excellent 6th/7th D this year for them and grow into a 3rd pair role for them.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

watching Xhekaj play for Laval this season, makes me wonder if he may not be the odd LD out from the Habs lineup.

Always remembering that there is also the 7D role to fill ... ***IF*** he is not Top 6, he could be a perfect 7D for teams against which the Habs require his toughness.

34 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I believe teams are checking for sure and I believe the Habs are not trading him. Arber is unique. He is not going anywhere unless the Habs get absolutely blown away by an offer. 

Xhekaj for Zegras? OK, maybe… 😂

29 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

exactly.

and I said I do not want to see Xhekaj traded. I love the guy.

but from EDM's perspective, he would make them so much better during their cup window. He sould be an excellent 6th/7th D this year for them and grow into a 3rd pair role for them.

Edmonton would love him, no question about that. However I am much more concerned about the Habs's perspective. 

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

So why is Montreal accepting a lesser-level forward for Xhekaj?  If they were going to move him, wouldn't it behoove them to get the best possible forward prospect available, not settle for a lower-end prospect (or a non-prospect) from Edmonton?  Yes, the Oilers could use Xhekaj but if there isn't a viable fit in a trade, the Habs aren't trading him there.  If you're saying it has to be a forward coming the other way, there isn't a viable fit.

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

There no way I’d move Wifi right now. Definitely not for Lavoie.  
we finally have good prospects,

we aren’t going to make the playoffs this year, and probably not next year. Why are you so eager to give up on guys until we know what we have? IF wifi, does develop into a decent physical shutdown puck moving D, that is a bit of a unicorn, why trade him before we have a better gauge of his ceiling?? It’s not like we are gong to be able to win this year or next year,‘and none of the players you are suggesting are going to make a difference in where we finish during that next two years.

I don’t see us being a legit playoff team until our young D develops and at least one of Reinbacher or Hutson is capable of being an NHL player.