Bring back Staubitz?

BCHabnut

The title says it all. I know we all want Ott or Neal or the equivilent, but a good 3rd liner that can figt is hard to find. From what I saw, Staubitz is a descent skater and does not play a risky game. Thoughts?

I'd truly like to see the guy back next year as well. I don't think White alone changed that feeling on the team where they felt they could do their own thing without being muscled around. I'm more inclined to think Staubitz was responsible for that. He is clearly one of the better middleweights in the league and it's refreshing to see that after so many years of seeing our grinders get pummelled (with exception, to a degree, to Moen).

But alas, Prust still has, for now, some decent hands. I mean he almost had a 30pt season last year. He's still popping 13 mins a game in the playoffs. Staubitz wouldn't be getting more than 4-5, at best.

Prust will also come with a price tag which is fair, but Staubitz can be had for the league minimum.

Regarding Gaustad, he IS a center, and is he really an enforcer? 4-5 fights per year on average. I mean he's great at face-offs and has lots of other intangibles including size, but i guess my point is we who know the top 3 centers on this team are, and i don't see him as #4. Was that his role in Nashville was? Sorry wasn't paying attention to that.

I see Moen coming back. It was PG saying he was "part of the plans", so that's out the window, but we have a Chicago connection here too. Maybe MB has a like on him already.

I believe that when the new coach gets here, and keeps the current staff of assistants, when they all sit down with Bergevin for a meeting, and the question comes up, "Should I make an offer to Staubitz?", if the new coach turns to Cunneyworth and says, "Well, should he?", then yes, Staubitz will be back.

And as much as I hate wasting roster spots on enforcers, I don't actually feel like this would be a wasted roster spot.

• Upvote 1

Columbus has both Dorsett and Boll. Imo you get either of those guys and are better off than with Staubitz on your roster.

Columbus has both Dorsett and Boll. Imo you get either of those guys and are better off than with Staubitz on your roster.

Not if you want a guy who is actually capable of giving anyone a second thought about running one of your guys. Boll and Dorsett are both scrappy, but they're not very good fighters. I'd take a real fighter over Boll any day of the week. Dorsett can at least play a little two-way hockey in between getting beat up.

Staubitz brings a respectability that we have not seen in a long time.

I agree. I also liked the teams reaction when he scored his only goal at the end of the season.
  • Upvote 1

Not if you want a guy who is actually capable of giving anyone a second thought about running one of your guys. Boll and Dorsett are both scrappy, but they're not very good fighters. I'd take a real fighter over Boll any day of the week. Dorsett can at least play a little two-way hockey in between getting beat up.

Yea, you're right about Boll. But I'd rather a player that can contribute in the bottom 6 like a Dorsett. He may not win a fight with the heavier guys but wont back down. Montrealers love that Kostopolous type character. Need guys with some dynamic. Staubitz can cycle and is mobile for his role but doesnt contribute much otherwise. But, I'd be happy with Staubitz as well as we've had little to compare to his abilities around here since Darren Langdon or Gino Odjick lol Besides Laraque cashing in on pacifism, of course.

I'd welcome a defenseman like O'Brien that can be imposing and have forwards more suited to crashing, banging and going to the net more effectively.

I think you need to sign 2 guys.

1) I'd go after Brandon Prust first.

2) Travis Moen

3) Aaron Asham

4) Gaustad

Staubitz isn't a bad choice, but he's plan D or E.

Any two of those would be great. I would like a allen or a carkner on the back end as well.

Any two of those would be great. I would like a allen or a carkner on the back end as well.

Allen sure, Carkner no. We need a 20 minute per game defencemen. Between Kaberle, Emelin, Diaz, and St. Denis, we have more than enough 3rd pairing defencemen.

Staubitz is a 4th liner for sure. I was saying that 3rd liners who can play and fight are hard to find. If we can't land a guy like that, would you keep Staubitz?

Of course he is a 4th liner and he knows his role. He was surprisingly an OK skater and forechecker; but he seems very good at what he does well.

And if he only sees 5-6minutes/game i think that would be fine with him and 4th liners are lucky to get 10 minutes/game anyways, so if double shift a forward a couple times/game is insignificant.

The smaller players seem to be quite happy to have him and he would be a lot cheaper and better skater than BGL, so i would sign him to 2 way contract if possible?

If Ian Shultz can improve and train hard he may squeeze him out, but he hasnt yet.

KEEP HIM! He's a fourth line guy, a good team mate and a v-e-r-y good fighter. He might not be Parros or John Scott but he's gone with them. He'll fight anyone. We can't depend on White and Moen to hold down the fisticuffs. I'll admit, I haven't seen a lot of great hockey from him, but he stays out of the way. Do you want Staubitz, or Tom Pyatt? Staubitz, or Andreas Enqvist? Staubitz...or Aaron Palushaj? I would also like to see Gabriel Dumont on a line with White and Staubitz, Dumont, Staubitz and Geoffrion/Schultz playing 50 games a piece.

Staubitz has beaten up these players:

Zach Kassian

Pierre Cedric Labrie

Cody McCormick

Just for the Canadiens, he also won decisions against Mike Brown and Zenon Kenopka. Shawn Thornton is no match for Staubitz!

I thought Staubitz was a really nice addition as a role-player and I'm slightly surprised he didn't win more support around here. Commandant's list is interesting, but I don't see Stuabitz and Moen as interchangeable at all (Moen is a better player and a worse fighter). Prust, Gaustad and Asham would all be good too - but will they be as cheap? I dunno, I just liked what I saw of Staubitz. Sign him cheap and move on.

I thought Staubitz was a really nice addition as a role-player and I'm slightly surprised he didn't win more support around here. Commandant's list is interesting, but I don't see Stuabitz and Moen as interchangeable at all (Moen is a better player and a worse fighter). Prust, Gaustad and Asham would all be good too - but will they be as cheap? I dunno, I just liked what I saw of Staubitz. Sign him cheap and move on.

Konopka will also be a free agent. Konopka or Staubitz?

Konopka will also be a free agent.  Konopka or Staubitz?

Staubitz. Konopka takes too many minor penalties, and gets you in trouble that way. One of the worst for Minor Penalties (non-coincidental) per minute of ice time.