Apr. 17, Montreal vs Pittsburgh, 7 PM

dlbalr

Not sure how Buffalo didnt score there.

dd was also a -3

To be honest...I may be a Neanderthal, but I don't think a team with this many euros or small players can win the Cup, unless they coax Yzerman and Fedorov out of retirement.

Don Cherry is that you?

No I have no problem with what your saying Canadians help you win it's just the way it is.

Buffalo to the PP.

Can the call Takarski and Kristo up?

Let both Golaies sit and watch tomorrow and Saturdey.

As bad as the goaltending has been the last 3 games, the lack of physical play, the complete inability to win any battles, and defensive zone play has been even worse. Having Dumont and weber in actually makes this team that much smaller.

Put Gorges and Markov, Subban Druwiski and Boullon Weber together ubtil Diaz gets back.

Anyone seen Pleks, can't believe DD had 2 points, didn't even norice him.

I'm with others, i have no idea why Galchenyuk is not getting more ice time. Put him with Gallegher and Pacioretty.

Well the was bad, but it was better than Monday.

This team still has a long way to go, but there was some improvement.

Gorges and Markov particularly need to be a lot better. We can complain all we want about the bottom D, but when 2 of our top 3 are playing like this it is gonna suck.

Hopefully get 2 points tomorrow.

Good article. I like the title.

Thx, I do enjoy me an alliteration. :)

USA chants as both teams salute the crowd.

I'm Canadian, but I loved the sentiment behind it.

Can the call Takarski and Kristo up?

Let both Golaies sit and watch tomorrow and Saturdey.

Presuming the 4 recall rule is the same in this CBA (I've read otherwise but have heard some of the TV guys saying it's pretty much the same), the Habs have two non-emergency recalls left until after the AHL season ends. So technically they could but it would eliminate any prospect of calling anyone else up between now and the end of the weekend. Also, I'm not sure Kristo is as ready as we hoped. He has been pretty quiet in Hamilton so far.

I'd bring Kristo in at the start of the playoffs - no need to bring him into the current mess. He could have the adrenaline to give us a bit if boost at that time. He's not what we need right now. We need two dman. One to make up for the loss of Emelin, the other to counter the crap defensive play of Gorges and Markov. Markov is still bringing offense. Gorges is simply wasting a roster spot with his current play.

We could also use a big, banging, bruising winger that goes to the net like Galleghar - but we've needed that since giving up on Leclair, and replacing him with a little shit called Recchi - before he want to the Boston school of medicine.

Presuming the 4 recall rule is the same in this CBA (I've read otherwise but have heard some of the TV guys saying it's pretty much the same), the Habs have two non-emergency recalls left until after the AHL season ends. So technically they could but it would eliminate any prospect of calling anyone else up between now and the end of the weekend. Also, I'm not sure Kristo is as ready as we hoped. He has been pretty quiet in Hamilton so far.

There are no outside solutions. There are no saviours in Hamilton.

Markov and Gorges and Bouillion have to be better. Its as simple as that. There is no white knight who will fix this defence from the outside. They've gotta do it themselves.

Well there is one White knight they could use, but he is suspended, in the coaches doghouse and unfortunately probably done as a hab.

And our best player is now playing the white way.

But unless Tinordi suddenly puts everything together in Hamilton and becomes an effective shot blocking physical force like Emelin, their is nobody else that will help turn things around this year.

Price needs to be better than the ither team's goalie. The boys need to suck it up, simplify their game, use their speed and get back to outworking the opposition.

There are no outside solutions. There are no saviours in Hamilton.

Markov and Gorges and Bouillion have to be better. Its as simple as that. There is no white knight who will fix this defence from the outside. They've gotta do it themselves.

Let the panic begin? I am not overly worried. How many expected to go through the season without a slump? Not me. I am glad it is happening now, we are in the playoffs and that is good. We have a couple weeks to get our shit together. Until Diaz returns our defensive pairings are a mess. Markov needs a younger skater with legs playing with him. The current pairings aren't working well together. That will improve. As for Price, he went through a slump early in the year and worked through it and he will find his form again soon. Please remove the fingers from panic button. It will get better again soon.

Kinda funny watching all the non believers jump off the bandwagon......

Better to struggle now than 2 weeks for now.

Been a while kaos..nice to see you post; although I was expecting something waaay more negative :)

I'm in total agreement. Absolutely ZERO reason to panic. Personally would prefer this team to back into the playoffs as a 6-7 seed. I think the added pressure of having to move forward since they finished in the top tier of the east will absolutely make this young (and slightly fragile) team buckle under the pressure.

No need to panic, no. But there are definitely grounds for serious concern in that this team made one of the most fundamental of mistakes - they lost focus and commitment once the playoffs were sewn up, and are now discovering the old truth that you can't turn it on and off like a tap. The only answer is to recommit, grind it out, and try, try, try to get back in the zone by the time the playoffs start. Problem is, this is not a linear process or one guaranteed to succeed, especially in the insane Montreal pressure cooker. If they pull it off it will be an awkward process involving two steps forward, one step back. If they don't pull it off it will snowball into a humiliating first-round exit, with all the usual scapegoating and bitterness.

I'm slightly surprised that guys like Carey Price, who have been through the cycle of Montreal success and subsequent crash-and-burn, either didn't see the danger or failed to carry the dressing room with their message. Oh well.

Therrien has his work cut out. This is his first real test.

Although he made some mistakes last night (who on defence didn't?), I was pleasantly surprised with Weber. For someone who hadn't played in nearly 6 weeks, he looked okay out there. With the game largely out of hand, he also got to play regular minutes (16:49). He certainly isn't someone I want to see regularly but him getting into a couple of games between now and next Saturday would be helpful in case he is needed in the postseason.

As for my period-to-period rant with Galchenyuk, 'exciting' news: He played more shifts in the 3rd than either of the first two frames. The sad news? He played 5 shifts (3:19) that period; he had 4 in each of the first two.

Kinda funny watching all the non believers jump off the bandwagon......

Better to struggle now than 2 weeks for now.

It's not about jumping off the bandwagon, it's realizing what is slipping away. Home ice in the playoffs is huge, and as a 2 seed you have that in every round but the ECF. Playing this poorly now is only going to make it harder in two weeks. It wouldn't be so bad if we were losing close games, but getting absolutely dismantled and struggling with defense, offence, and goaltending.... I don't want to fall to the 6 or 7 seed to "lighten the pressure"... What kind of hogwash is that? It's the playoffs in Montreal... Pressure comes regardless of seed. Get it together and win the division...

Stats from last night:

- The Habs have now pulled their starting goalies in three straight games for the first time since October of 2001.

- In their first 40 games, Montreal allowed 16 first period goals. In their past three, they've allowed half that many alone.

- Exactly 1/3 of Gallagher's minor penalties came in yesterday's game.

As for my period-to-period rant with Galchenyuk, 'exciting' news: He played more shifts in the 3rd than either of the first two frames. The sad news? He played 5 shifts (3:19) that period; he had 4 in each of the first two.

Of course. Therrien isn't going to deviate from the plan.

Galchenyuk is always the player in the box for somebody else's extra penalty, or serving a too many men penalty. He's being given a tough-love rookie treatment, and normally I'd be okay with that except he's currently outplaying almost everyone in the top six.

• Upvote 1