Jump to content

Pre-Expansion Draft Discussion


Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

Thanks for straightening me out. It’s a pity; like I say, I’m tired of the watching As The Carey Price Turns and think it’s just time to move along. It’s worth gently reaching out to him about Seattle. That said, I doubt he will be interested in uprooting his family. He doesn’t seem the type.

 

I think he'd love to live out west, and outside the media fishbowl of Montreal.  The proximity to family is another bonus.  

 

I'm skeptical Bergy would ever do it because of loyalty and 'character' reasons, but we should absolutely explore sending Price to Seattle.  This is basically our one shot of getting out from under that contract.  No other team has the cap space to take on a $10.5M goalie.  The Weber deal seems more moveable due to his declining salary, and there's more room on a roster for an underperforming and overpaid D than a goalie in that situation.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lehkonen needs to be protected as well but the Habs have to comply with the 2 forwards under contract that meet the 27/54 rule.  As things stand, those two forwards are likely Byron and Evans by defau

I don’t get how that makes him MB 2.0?  He played a key role in Toronto. He’s the reason they chose Marner, over the consensus Hanafin.  He has been a GM and part of owner for a highly successful  j

So basically MB is 2 time loser who can;t build a WINNING team

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Neech said:

 

I think he'd love to live out west, and outside the media fishbowl of Montreal.  The proximity to family is another bonus.  

 

I'm skeptical Bergy would ever do it because of loyalty and 'character' reasons, but we should absolutely explore sending Price to Seattle.  This is basically our one shot of getting out from under that contract.  No other team has the cap space to take on a $10.5M goalie.  The Weber deal seems more moveable due to his declining salary, and there's more room on a roster for an underperforming and overpaid D than a goalie in that situation.

 

Loyalty from Mb?  Isn’t this the if you want loyalty, get a dog GM?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Loyalty from Mb?  Isn’t this the if you want loyalty, get a dog GM?

Eliminating loyalty or qualitative evaluation considerations, I think the issue is as much (or more) that moving Weber or Price out at this point would mean that MB is admitting Price's contract and Weber's acquisition has proven to be a long-term mistake by not building a proper supporting cast around them earlier when they were at or net their peak ... thus I see neither going anywhere under Bergevin.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I think the big risk to exposing Price would be if he doesn't get claimed. It would be on his head all the time, and Montreal media would go crazy with it.

I don’t think he agrees to waive his NMC unless there is a deal worked out like in the Fleury situation.  I also think Weber is the one you expose and Price be a trade.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I think the big risk to exposing Price would be if he doesn't get claimed. It would be on his head all the time, and Montreal media would go crazy with it.

 

Since he can only be exposed with his permission, he would either have to want out (which IMO would mean something is already in his head and the Habs pretty have to find a way to move him) or he is convinced/agrees that keeping Allen is worth the risk of being exposed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If his in-laws live in Seattle, then I think that happy coincidence gives you the cover you require for that "difficult conversation." You just say: Carey, we want what is best for you and your family. You have already made an indelible contribution to our organization which the entire franchise and city cherish. Heading into the final years of your career, if you are interested in playing close to home, we will understand and can facilitate. Or you can close out your playing days with us. We will respect and support your decision either way."

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

If his in-laws live in Seattle, then I think that happy coincidence gives you the cover you require for that "difficult conversation." You just say: Carey, we want what is best for you and your family. You have already made an indelible contribution to our organization which the entire franchise and city cherish. Heading into the final years of your career, if you are interested in playing close to home, we will understand and can facilitate. Or you can close out your playing days with us. We will respect and support your decision either way."

...But we would be more happy if you want to be closer to home and your cap hit has nothing to do with us bringing this up 😇

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

...But we would be more happy if you want to be closer to home and your cap hit has nothing to do with us bringing this up 😇

Ahhh, he is getting his ring as a Hab next year and retiring a Hab as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

...But we would be more happy if you want to be closer to home and your cap hit has nothing to do with us bringing this up 😇

 

Ha haaa, yep. But Carey's a big boy, he should be able to understand an organization doing due diligence in exploring all its options.

 

Despite the "loyalty is for dogs" comment, I suspect MB will not even consider going down this road because Carey is "his guy" and a "franchise cornerstone." For the same reason, I suspect he will not even consider exposing Weber. He'll cling to the idea that these guys are Great Players even though they aren't anymore. Hope I'm wrong.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

Ha haaa, yep. But Carey's a big boy, he should be able to understand an organization doing due diligence in exploring all its options.

 

Despite the "loyalty is for dogs" comment, I suspect MB will not even consider going down this road because Carey is "his guy" and a "franchise cornerstone." For the same reason, I suspect he will not even consider exposing Weber. He'll cling to the idea that these guys are Great Players even though they aren't anymore. Hope I'm wrong.


It is one of the reasons MB needs to be replaced. Whether due to incompetence or shame I do not believe our GM is willing to do what is best for this organization. 
 

Both Price and Weber need to go. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Both Price and Weber need to go. 

You do know how naïve this sounds? 

SO, what kind of realistic master plan do you actually propose to rid the team of these 2 players?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DON said:

You do know how naïve this sounds? 

SO, what kind of realistic master plan do you actually propose to rid the team of these 2 players?

 


There are a couple of scenarios that have been discussed. Losing one to Kraken would be ideal. 
 

Lamoriello traded an overpaid, broken down Phaneuf so anything is possible. 
 

If Price won’t waive then he won’t waive but options need to be explored 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:


There are a couple of scenarios that have been discussed. Losing one to Kraken would be ideal. 
 

Lamoriello traded an overpaid, broken down Phaneuf so anything is possible. 
 

If Price won’t waive then he won’t waive but options need to be explored 

 

Ya, nothing here is realistic and good luck coming up with any scenario.

You can complain about it, sure, but for forseeable future those two will be on Habs roster and we are gonna have to live with it.:spamafote:

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, DON said:

Ya, nothing here is realistic and good luck coming up with any scenario.

You can complain about it, sure, but for forseeable future those two will be on Habs roster and we are gonna have to live with it.:spamafote:

There is always the distinction between "should" and "will" ... I think most (maybe almost all) recognize that Bergevin likely chews his own arm off before exposing, or for that matter trading, Price or Weber ... but there is also the cathartic benefit of expressing the "should" without predicting it is the "will"

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:


There are a couple of scenarios that have been discussed. Losing one to Kraken would be ideal. 
 

Lamoriello traded an overpaid, broken down Phaneuf so anything is possible. 
 

If Price won’t waive then he won’t waive but options need to be explored 

 

 

 

That column is the biggest troll in Habs media.  That writer is a joke.  I don't take anything seriously from Brendan Kelly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Commandant said:

 

That column is the biggest troll in Habs media.  That writer is a joke.  I don't take anything seriously from Brendan Kelly. 

 

like complotistes, seems like Mr. Brendan Kelly has his followers...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...