Where are they now? News on past Habs prospects and players

alfredoh2009

39 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Jesus. That is awful. 

Looks like the Habs really did one hell of a job “developing” him as a MB-style “character” player 🤮

Don’t forget that MB liked character guys like Kassian!

I doubt that "development" had anything to do with the Habs.  After watching the video, it kind of reminded me of the Kostitsyn brothers rumours of being associated with the mafia.  Absolutely no idea if they had any truth behind them, but they were out there.

11 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I doubt that "development" had anything to do with the Habs.  After watching the video, it kind of reminded me of the Kostitsyn brothers rumours of being associated with the mafia.  Absolutely no idea if they had any truth behind them, but they were out there.

I know what you mean, and on the surface it is a bit unreasonable to blame an employer for a human being turning out to be human garbage. 

However, pro hockey does seem to be a bit different from the average workplace. Employees are drafted in their teens and thrust into an intensely "team"-focused environment where everything from diet to socializing tends to revolve around the team.

In that context, organizations do have to bear a certain degree of responsibility for what kind of person a young player becomes. A strong organization will have internal leaders who take the kid under their wing, coaches who guide and mentor the kid, etc.. 

On the other hand, there's no getting around the fact that players have lives way outside the team's remit, and that some are beyond help. Even the great Habs' dynasty of the 1970s found itself with a Pierre Larouche, who never did anything this bad, but who nevertheless failed to fit in, sulked, and demanded a trade. So blaming the Habs for Galy's emotional deformities is somewhat unfair.

Still, we had a GM who droned on and on about how his top priority was something called "character." The fact that Galy is a product of the Habs' system is one more indicator of what a pile of steaming bullcrap that entire conception was.

4 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

I tend to think that was more on Hamrlik than the Tit bros though.  Although Hamrlik is Czech he was old enough that he definitely spoke Russian (he would have been 14 when the Soviet Union collapsed).  It seemed like he was the 1 that introduced them to the Russian mobsters.  He was much older and likely smart enough not to get too close to them but the #### bro were young and might not have been.

21 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

I heard from some in my family that it was true, they used to party with known mafia members in Montreal.

I didn't know where to put this, sheds light on Price's career ending injury:

• Like 1

I imagine Weber had a similarly significant injury. I was just remembering the other day how he screamed in pain when he made a simple shot to clear the puck toward the end of one of those series.

Two warriors who really gave everything in a last ditch effort to try to win a Cup. 

I do bang on about this, but Carey Price deserves to have his number retired. He is a truly great Montreal Canadien - the only one of this century.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I imagine Weber had a similarly significant injury. I was just remembering the other day how he screamed in pain when he made a simple shot to clear the puck toward the end of one of those series.

Two warriors who really gave everything in a last ditch effort to try to win a Cup. 

I do bang on about this, but Carey Price deserves to have his number retired. He is a truly great Montreal Canadien - the only one of this century.

to warriors with character that permeated the team and got them close to the cup. I liked having that value as central to the cup run, I am p!55ed at how bad the diagnosis was for those two, and for far too many others.

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

to warriors with character that permeated the team and got them close to the cup. I liked having that value as central to the cup run, I am p!55ed at how bad the diagnosis was for those two, and for far too many others.

It didn’t help that Price played injured in the Olympics, when he probably should have shut it down.

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I expect they both had a pretty good idea how hurt they were and decided to make one last try ... I don't think sitting out those playoffs would have made much difference to their futures. 

Just watched that whole Galchenyuk police bodycam video... my god he has really lost his marbles, I don't think you can pin it all on substances neither.

Lots of material for TShirt slogans in that video though:

- "you know that... right?"

- "I will call the Russia"

and my favorite one...

- "i AM shut the #### up"

32 minutes ago, Canajun said:

... I don't think you can pin it all on substances neither ...

Nope ... the alcohol/booze doesn't create the "ugliness" ... it just removes the filters that have been hiding it.

5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I expect they both had a pretty good idea how hurt they were and decided to make one last try ... I don't think sitting out those playoffs would have made much difference to their futures. 

That’s my sense as well. They were already broken…the remarkable thing is how well they performed  under the circumstances. It was hard to look at that close up on Weber’s face in the dying seconds of Game 5 and not think he was a man who knew he’d shot his last bolt.

• 1 month later...

Tuna has been traded, best of luck in Seattle!

🐟 🐟 🐟🐟 🐟 🐟🐟 🐟 🐟 🐟 🐟 🐟 🐟 

Good article on Drouin, I am happy for him.

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Patches is nearing a return:

I wish him well

15 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Not sure why these lines from 2016 game are being reposted on twitter but holy beans what a lineup 

IMG_0278.png

Wow. A real dog’s breakfast.

What’s interesting is that Danault, Pleks, and Eller all represented really solid options down the middle for most of their careers. Yet only one is being used at C in this lineup. And 2016 was, if memory serves, the year that Pleks aged out, his game completely cratering. At face value, this suggests that Therrien did not know what he was doing in terms of line construction.

The other interesting fact here is that only a year earlier (2014-15) the Habs had finished second overall after reaching the Semi-Finals the year prior. We went from contenders to trash in no time.

2 hours ago, Helmethead said:

Who the hell was Lessio and how do I not remember him??

12 games with the Habs were his last North American stop ... he is still playing overseas ... in the German DEL-2 league ... Habs acquired him from Arizona on December 15, 2015 for Christian Thomas ... I remember it like it was two minutes ago when I Googled him.

image.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Helmethead said:

Who the hell was Lessio and how do I not remember him??

I remember him too. He was quick and strong along the boards. A version of good-Armia.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I remember him too. He was quick and strong along the boards. A version of good-Armia.

Well, Armia has had a much more successful NHL career than Lessio. Presumably Armia is a much better player overall…

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Wow. A real dog’s breakfast.

What’s interesting is that Danault, Pleks, and Eller all represented really solid options down the middle for most of their careers. Yet only one is being used at C in this lineup. And 2016 was, if memory serves, the year that Pleks aged out, his game completely cratering. At face value, this suggests that Therrien did not know what he was doing in terms of line construction.

The other interesting fact here is that only a year earlier (2014-15) the Habs had finished second overall after reaching the Semi-Finals the year prior. We went from contenders to trash in no time.

Carey prices knee injury was catastrophic to that season and eventually his career.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

If he was good armia, hed have lasted in the NHL. Either with us or someone else.

He wasnt good armia.  He was a meh AHL 3rd liner.