Where are they now? News on past Habs prospects and players

alfredoh2009

14 minutes ago, DON said:

This is what Bergy valued.

image.jpeg

Is he a RHD by any chance?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Peter Puck said:

I don't think the hit and run is particularly serious given it only involved property.  Depending on the details, the resisting arrest could be much more serious.

From what I recall, ROR drunken accident and conduct with officers afterwards wasn’t a good look. What was worse was that after hitting a Tim Hortons restaurant, fleeing the site, he was later acquitted when the Tim Hortons employee couldn’t positively identify him, so there was no proof that he was actually drunk at the time of the accident, even though he was when he was caught🙄

Really have to wonder about the Legal system sometimes! 

Unless Galchenyuk did something really l, really bad like started beating on some cops or something, can’t see it being any worse than the ROR incident.

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

From what I recall, ROR drunken accident and conduct with officers afterwards wasn’t a good look. What was worse was that after hitting a Tim Hortons restaurant, fleeing the site, he was later acquitted when the Tim Hortons employee couldn’t positively identify him, so there was no proof that he was actually drunk at the time of the accident, even though he was when he was caught🙄

Really have to wonder about the Legal system sometimes! 

Unless Galchenyuk did something really l, really bad like started beating on some cops or something, can’t see it being any worse than the ROR incident.

Well now we know what he did.  He called a black cop a racial slur.  He threatened to kill another cop and their whole family. He threatened to gut a third cop's wife and kids.

Some.pretty abhorrent shit.

13 hours ago, Commandant said:

Well now we know what he did.  He called a black cop a racial slur.  He threatened to kill another cop and their whole family. He threatened to gut a third cop's wife and kids.

Galchenyuk maybe inspired by the creepy sociopath  "John Wick" russian characters? 

Just very sad to hear he is such a person, shitty. 

Were there signs of this before he was drafted in 2012 or early in career i wonder? 

Or more was fame (ego), big bucks and liquor got to him (and wrong advisors or crowd?)?

11 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That is not good. And his father was with him??  Hopefully he can get his life sorted out. 

His father has been this looming shadow throughout Galy’s career. Bizarre that even when he’s flailing around committing crimes and spouting racism at cops, Daddy is still there. Something is way off in the father-son dynamic between those two.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, the "father/parent problem" goes way back:

Family ties may have sabotaged Alex Galchenyuk's rocky career with the Canadiens.

- Pat Hickey, Montreal Gazette - Jun 19, 2018

There will be questions about whether the Canadiens’ coaching staff handled Galchenyuk properly. Was he given a fair shot at centre? Did the coaches give him the guidance he needed to become a better defensive player?

But the question that has to be answered is: Was Galchenyuk listening to those who were paid to give him advice?

We know he was listening to his father, Alex Sr. You could see them huddling after every game in the concourse outside the Canadiens’ dressing room, rehashing the game. There were rumblings from the Galchenyuk camp about the way Alex was being used. There were questions about why he wasn’t at centre, why he was getting less ice time than other players.

There were even questions about why he wasn’t on the ice at the end of close games. Given his defensive shortcomings, this should have been a no-brainer, but the Galchenyuk clan saw a conspiracy that deprived Alex of opportunities to score empty-net goals.

I can recall two stories that illustrate the tug of war between Galchenyuk père and his coaches.

The first goes back to his days with the Sarnia Sting. During the lockout in 2012, I went to Sarnia to do a story on Galchenyuk. When the Sting’s regular practice ended, Galchenyuk’s father, who was an assistant coach with the team, stayed on the ice with his son. At the other end of the ice, defenceman Connor Murphy was working out with his father, Gord, a Florida Panthers assistant coach who was at loose ends because of the lockout.

Jacques Beaulieu — he’s Nathan’s dad — was the head coach and I remarked that it must be good to have players putting in the extra work. But Beaulieu wasn’t enthused, noting that he had two coaches he didn’t need and didn’t want.

The other sign of a disconnect between the family and the Montreal coaches came in 2015 when the Galchenyuks parted ways with agents Ian Pilver and Igor Larionov.

The Galchenyuks were upset that Michel Therrien had benched Alex in some situations and Larionov, a respected Hall of Famer, didn’t side with the player.

“Ian and I were trying to help him to become a good hockey player but, more importantly, to be a good human being,” Larionov said at the time. “I would speak to him every day; I think I spent more time talking to him than talking to my wife.“

I tried to make him understand that he has to be patient,” Larionov said. “I had to wait when I was a young player; every great player has a time when he’s going to be on the bench, but you have to learn that’s part of the game.”

And Pat Hickey was not a clickbait artist ... I expect he left a lot "on the cutting room floor" because he was not a sensationalist writer.

For a more "clickbait" perspective:
https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/report-alex-galchenyuk-s-family-is-a-huge-problem

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, Commandant said:

Surprised at this, considering an interview I had read a long time ago about here he said he reached out to Subban and Markov after he was traded for advice. You wouldn’t expect a guy who is racist to reach out to former balaclava teammate. But I guess when it suits someone’s purpose they can put there inherent racism aside.

41 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Surprised at this, considering an interview I had read a long time ago about here he said he reached out to Subban and Markov after he was traded for advice. You wouldn’t expect a guy who is racist to reach out to former balaclava teammate. But I guess when it suits someone’s purpose they can put there inherent racism aside.

While he was certainly spouting racial nonsense, what struck me were Galchenyuk’s comments about being able to make one phone call and have everyone wiped out!

He sounded like a mafioso and who knows…perhaps his father is

He was not charged with a DUI or public intoxication which is telling.  His father also said he has never seen his son act like this.

Sounds like he has some kind of mental breakdown to be honest.

On 7/15/2023 at 10:33 PM, Commandant said:

He was not charged with a DUI or public intoxication which is telling.  His father also said he has never seen his son act like this.

Sounds like he has some kind of mental breakdown to be honest.

Galchenyuk Jr. appeared to be heavily intoxicated and resisted officer commands during a traffic stop ... Galchenyuk Sr. allegedly told police that he was the one who ran over a curb and hit the sign earlier in the day, but witness description disputed that claim.  -  www.abc15.com

The lack of DUI may be that the police simply can't prove he was driving ... and the reports were about several/numerous charges, so public intoxication might simply not have been "sexy" enough to include in the list ... or he might not have been charged for PI ... also, a breakdown and public intoxication need not be mutually exclusive; he could have been intoxicated during a breakdown.

Regardless ... he clearly has some serious issues for which we can only hope he gets halp.

His agent writes well ... but seems like intoxication of some sort may well have played a part.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

That's an awful situation and could help to explain a careening out of control. However, if you've pinned all your hopes on a Coyotes contract, it seems weird that you would proceed to go and break the law in a spectacularly public fashion. 😬 Like, don't pick that exact moment to self-destruct.

I notice that the NHLPA has filed a grievance regarding his contract termination. Having some familiarity with unionized settings, I did find it slightly surprising that they could just cut him loose. Presumably he has some sort of morality clause in the fine print. If he doesn't, then prima facie the union has a case; teams don't get to just cut guys loose, right? Otherwise we'd be doing that with Gallagher, Armia and Hoffman.

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Presumably he has some sort of morality clause in the fine print. 

Even if he does ... the NHL/NHLPA Assistance Program may be a means to circumvent it ... ironically (at least by Alanis Morrissette standards), in cap terms the Coyotes likely wouldn't mind having his contract count if they are unable to terminate the contract successfully.

57 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I notice that the NHLPA has filed a grievance regarding his contract termination. Having some familiarity with unionized settings, I did find it slightly surprising that they could just cut him loose. Presumably he has some sort of morality clause in the fine print. If he doesn't, then prima facie the union has a case; teams don't get to just cut guys loose, right? Otherwise we'd be doing that with Gallagher, Armia and Hoffman.

At this point, the NHLPA has not yet filed a grievance, they've only said they're looking into it. 

The following is language that's part of all player contracts:

14. The Club may also terminate this SPC upon written notice to the Player (but only after obtaining Waivers from all other Clubs) if the Player shall at any time:

(a) fail, refuse, or neglect to obey the Club's rules governing training and conduct of Players, if such failure, refusal or neglect should constitute a material breach of this SPC.

(b) fail, refuse or neglect to render his services hereunder or in any other manner materially breach this SPC.

In the event of termination under Paragraph 14(a) or (b) the Player shall only be entitled to compensation due to him to the earlier of the date such notice is personally delivered to him or the date such notice is e-mailed to him.

Section (a) is where the Coyotes are pinning their hopes on, citing failure to follow their rules governing conduct.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

However, if you've pinned all your hopes on a Coyotes contract, it seems weird that you would proceed to go and break the law in a spectacularly public fashion. 😬 Like, don't pick that exact moment to self-destruct.

Exactly.  Galchenyuk is 29 not some 18 year spoiled rookie.  You would think he would have grown up a little by now.  The fiancee thing is a pretty feeble excuse in my opinion. It's not like he couldn't go to Canada to spend time with her.  He knows where Canada is after playing in Montreal, Toronto and junior in Sarnia.  You make your bed and you sleep in it. Hopefully he can get it sorted out for his sake and the rest of society. 

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

And knowing that you need to leave the US before your visa expires…that’s not rocket science, either.

I have always doubted whether he had much going on upstairs. Toys in the attic, if you know what I mean.