Where are they now? News on past Habs prospects and players

alfredoh2009

31 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Ouuccchhhh ... Romanov didn't think the puck could hurt more but then it went into the net

LOL, now that is one shot-block gone horribly, horribly wrong. I think that’s what’s called a “lower body injury.” 

On 12/17/2022 at 6:53 AM, GHT120 said:

Ouuccchhhh ... Romanov didn't think the puck could hurt more but then it went into the net

Romanov is doing his part to try and get the Coyotes more points, so we can improve on our Bedard lottery pick.

• 4 weeks later...

I was just going through random draft picks. Two names made me curious.

Brett Lernout (27 now) - remember him being a solid ahler. But after he left us he played 38 then 12 games in pandemic seasons. Nothing in 21-22 or 22-23...

Casey Staum (25 now)- 2016 5th rounder.

Played a bit of USHL then 11 games in NCAA. Nothing since. Anyone know what happened there?

Did the pandemic just end guys careers?

1 hour ago, Plutarch said:

Brett Lernout (27 now) - remember him being a solid ahler. But after he left us he played 38 then 12 games in pandemic seasons. Nothing in 21-22 or 22-23...

Played a bit of USHL then 11 games in NCAA. Nothing since. Anyone know what happened there?

yes, quite a few never made it to the other side. A few Canadiens prospects, if I remember correctly.

Others, like Xhekaj, kept on trucking and made it despite not playing much during COVID shutdowns

6 hours ago, Plutarch said:

I think Lernout's departure was due to injury.  Staum is a weird case.  He delayed signing his college letter of intent so long that it actually cost Montreal his draft rights earlier than expected and then stayed in the USHL another year before shutting it down before the pandemic.  I think he lost the desire to play not long after Montreal drafted him, to be honest.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Beautiful skater ... Happy Birthday Petr

14 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Beautiful skater ... Happy Birthday Petr

What I remember most about this useful top-4 defenceman is his ability to absorb catastrophic hits. Every now and then he’d just get destroyed, but would bounce back up and keep going. It was like he was made of rubber.

I didn’t realize that he played for another decade after leaving the Habs. (Who did we trade him for?) A long and successful NHL career. Also, his PIMs are way higher than my memory of his game would suggest:  https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=5272

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

What I remember most about this useful top-4 defenceman is his ability to absorb catastrophic hits. Every now and then he’d just get destroyed, but would bounce back up and keep going. It was like he was made of rubber.

I didn’t realize that he played for another decade after leaving the Habs. (Who did we trade him for?) A long and successful NHL career. Also, his PIMs are way higher than my memory of his game would suggest:  https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=5272

Kevin Haller ... who they converted into Yves Racine ... who was waived the following season.

8 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Kevin Haller ... who they converted into Yves Racine ... who was waived the following season.

Thanks! But ugh, that is a straight arc of decline right there…fond memories of Svoboda, not so much the other two. 🤮 

Kotkaniemi is now 8+13 for the season, exactly the same as Dvorak. Similar shooting percentage and faceoff percentage, too. Kotkaniemi is utilized in a more offensive role, though, 2/3 offensive zone starts while Dvorak is mostly defensive zone starts.

And we are not locked into a Dvorak contract until 2030 ...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Kotkaniemi is now 8+13 for the season, exactly the same as Dvorak. Similar shooting percentage and faceoff percentage, too. Kotkaniemi is utilized in a more offensive role, though, 2/3 offensive zone starts while Dvorak is mostly defensive zone starts.

And we are not locked into a Dvorak contract until 2030 ...

you are not telling me that that old fox of a GM, that traded for Dvorak, found a good replacement for KK. Nah 😏

image.png

6 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

you are not telling me that that old fox of a GM, that traded for Dvorak, found a good replacement for KK. Nah 😏

image.png

Nah ... I think rather it shows how overpaid KK is ... Dvorak is a disappointment.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Nah ... I think rather it shows how overpaid KK is ... Dvorak is a disappointment.

Dvorak was basically a 35-40 point guy with Arizona who played a decent 2 way game and could kill penalties. I think there was a hope that he would step it up here.  He hasn't and may struggle to get 30 points this year.  So I agree that he has been a disappointment. Maybe our expectations were higher than they should have been. 

No doubt that Hughes would likely trade him in a heartbeat if he got a decent offer as Beck will likely emerge to take his spot. 

32 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Dvorak was basically a 35-40 point guy with Arizona who played a decent 2 way game and could kill penalties. I think there was a hope that he would step it up here.  He hasn't and may struggle to get 30 points this year.  So I agree that he has been a disappointment. Maybe our expectations were higher than they should have been. 

No doubt that Hughes would likely trade him in a heartbeat if he got a decent offer as Beck will likely emerge to take his spot. 

50-point pace for the Habs last year. But, no, he's no star, my point was mostly that he's at least as good as Kotkaniemi, so we did not lose in this debacle. Coyotes came out the winner, I think, although that took them another trade yet.

18 hours ago, tomh009 said:

50-point pace for the Habs last year. But, no, he's no star, my point was mostly that he's at least as good as Kotkaniemi, so we did not lose in this debacle. Coyotes came out the winner, I think, although that took them another trade yet.

I tend to agree with you here.

I had been thinking Dvo slotted in well on third line, behind Monohan and was ideally a third line guy. With Monohan out we’ve got Dvorak back on number two slot and he has harder time meeting those expectations.

The Monohan loss greatly affected Dvorak’s deployment and spotlight.

Acquiring the oft-injured Monohan and then mismanaging his (and other players) injuries was the lowlight of the year and the blame falls fully on management, coaches, medical staff.

1 hour ago, hockeyrealist said:

I tend to agree with you here.

I had been thinking Dvo slotted in well on third line, behind Monohan and was ideally a third line guy. With Monohan out we’ve got Dvorak back on number two slot and he has harder time meeting those expectations.

The Monohan loss greatly affected Dvorak’s deployment and spotlight.

Acquiring the oft-injured Monohan and then mismanaging his (and other players) injuries was the lowlight of the year and the blame falls fully on management, coaches, medical staff.

isn;t he back to the third line behind Suzuki and Dach?

• 4 weeks later...

Good for Danny B

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Wow! Bière. Good for him, he always seemed like a bright and decent fellow.

Agreed ... but the full-time job could be a bit of a loose-fitting noose if ownership still has unrealistic expectations.