Where are they now? News on past Habs prospects and players

alfredoh2009

7 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I have always doubted whether he had much going on upstairs. Toys in the attic, if you know what I mean.

Aerosmiths best album...:D

13 hours ago, tomh009 said:

And knowing that you need to leave the US before your visa expires…that’s not rocket science, either.

Or to not try to return if you left after overstaying your visa.

9 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I have always doubted whether he had much going on upstairs. Toys in the attic, if you know what I mean.

Lights were on but there was no one at home ...

22 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Exactly.  Galchenyuk is 29 not some 18 year spoiled rookie.  You would think he would have grown up a little by now.  The fiancee thing is a pretty feeble excuse in my opinion. It's not like he couldn't go to Canada to spend time with her.  He knows where Canada is after playing in Montreal, Toronto and junior in Sarnia.  You make your bed and you sleep in it. Hopefully he can get it sorted out for his sake and the rest of society. 

Agreed. 

Its likely just a ploy to get his contract back vs him actually feeling bad and regretting what he did.  I view it the exact same way as the guy Boston signed last year who never really made a legit apology to the mentally challenged schoolmate he harmed.  They both only regret being in trouble and just want to play hockey by giving a weak faux apology vs a real one.  

Chucky joining the NHL assistance program will most likely save his ass from being terminated by the Yotes.  

10 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Chucky joining the NHL assistance program will most likely save his ass from being terminated by the Yotes.  

And Arizona will gets a cheap NHL calibre player, I think McCarron & Tinordi both played NHL after treatment, so maybe he will as well?

6 hours ago, DON said:

And Arizona will gets a cheap NHL calibre player

LOW calibre, but calibre.

10 hours ago, DON said:

And Arizona will gets a cheap NHL calibre player, I think McCarron & Tinordi both played NHL after treatment, so maybe he will as well?

My original comment was regarding when somebody gets let go or fired from their employer if they have an addiction problem then it is a Human Rights issue and the company is unable to legally fire them.  The company must try to get them help before they can get rid of them.  Based on that principle, I don't believe the Yotes can terminate his contract like they have.  I imagine that the NHLPA will get involved and can get his contract reinstated.  

I had assumed that Chucky was just saying that to benefit from the Human Rights laws, but there is a rumour that Chucky has had a longstanding cocaine problem.  It is possible that he does have a legit addiction issue and that would explain why he never panned out.  

McCarron and Tinordi had addictions problems as well? 

13 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

McCarron and Tinordi had addictions problems as well? 

McCarron yes.

Tinordi just steroids maybe it was. 

13 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

My original comment was regarding when somebody gets let go or fired from their employer if they have an addiction problem then it is a Human Rights issue and the company is unable to legally fire them.  The company must try to get them help before they can get rid of them.  Based on that principle, I don't believe the Yotes can terminate his contract like they have.  I imagine that the NHLPA will get involved and can get his contract reinstated. 

However, they terminated him for behaviour, not for addiction.

But this will be AZ employment and human rights laws, I have no familiarity with those anyway.

21 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

However, they terminated him for behaviour, not for addiction.

But the addiction ***could*** be the cause of the behaviour ... it will be interesting.

I am not certain how/whether AZ employment and human rights laws apply if the situation is covered by the league-wide collective bargaining agreement that applies across the USA, and Canada..

I’m not sure if any player can avoid the buyout process. It’s a legal option for any team. 

Not to mention that the desire for the assistance program came after he was bought out. 

I hope Chucky gets all the help he needs but it looks like he took this path to try and save his ass. 

58 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I’m not sure if any player can avoid the buyout process. It’s a legal option for any team. 

Not to mention that the desire for the assistance program came after he was bought out. 

I hope Chucky gets all the help he needs but it looks like he took this path to try and save his ass. 

This isnt a buyout.

Buyout is 66% of pay over 2 years.

This was a termination "for cause".... no pay... no cap hit.

Thats what they are challenging the "for cause" part if they challenge.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

This isnt a buyout.

Buyout is 66% of pay over 2 years.

This was a termination "for cause".... no pay... no cap hit.

Thats what they are challenging the "for cause" part if they challenge.

Well that makes more sense then. 

NHLPA might have a case then

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I guess if the Yotes lose the case, they can always then buy him out.

The buyout window is closed so that isn't actually an option for them.  At that point, they'd be stuck with playing him in the minors or paying him to stay home.

11 hours ago, dlbalr said:

The buyout window is closed so that isn't actually an option for them.  At that point, they'd be stuck with playing him in the minors or paying him to stay home.

wouldn't they be able to put him on IR if he is in the NHLPA substance abuse program?

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

wouldn't they be able to put him on IR if he is in the NHLPA substance abuse program?

If he's still in the program during the season, he can be taken off the roster.  A stint in there could be as little as 30 days though; depending on what happens, he could be cleared to return by training camp in which case he can't have a non-roster designation.

• 4 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Not exactly news on a former player but I like this quote. From Markov and Kovalev to Matheson and Suzuki?

Although the trend doesn’t include two Dmen on the PP - maybe it should!

IMG_0228.jpeg

Give me peak Markov and Souray and I'd play two D-men on the PP next season ... but I'm not certain any of the Habs current D-Men are either the QB (Markov) or Bomber (Souray) types that the PP needs.

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Give me peak Markov and Souray and I'd play two D-men on the PP next season ... but I'm not certain any of the Habs current D-Men are either the QB (Markov) or Bomber (Souray) types that the PP needs.

Matheson is much better skater than Markov, but not as smart, no.

Mailloux has similar shot to Souray and likely more offense in general, but neither are Markov smart ...gotta wait for Hutson and hope his game translates.

Who knows how well Harris or Barron's offense will get?

Am very curious to see which of Guhle-Harris-Barron-Xhekaj-Kovavevic takes step up in their 2nd year and who dosent.

Basing a powerplay around a powerful point shot seems a thing of the past.  You need more than that (And shots closer to the net are better too). The Weber PP was often predictable and awful. 

Sure its great to have a defenceman with a big shot, but you just don't base your PP around that shot as the primary weapon anymore. 

11 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Basing a powerplay around a powerful point shot seems a thing of the past.  You need more than that (And shots closer to the net are better too). The Weber PP was often predictable and awful. 

Sure its great to have a defenceman with a big shot, but you just don't base your PP around that shot as the primary weapon anymore. 

True ... but Markov also excelled at quickly and subtly getting the puck to the net, as well as setting up shooters other than the BOMBER ... that was part of what made his PP effective ... unlike the Weber-based PP it wasn't BOMBER dependent. 

36 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Agreed, any single-weapon PP is fairly easily defended against. But a D shot as a secondary weapon makes defending against the PP that much harder. Imagine Caufield, Suzuki, Dach and Monahan with Xhekaj or Mailloux on the point, for example.

At least I can dream! 😂

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

True ... but Markov also excelled at quickly and subtly getting the puck to the net, as well as setting up shooters other than the BOMBER ... that was part of what made his PP effective ... unlike the Weber-based PP it wasn't BOMBER dependent. 

Markov was a distributor.  He would still work on a PP today.  A PP run through a Souray type wouldn't though.