Where are they now? News on past Habs prospects and players

alfredoh2009

He still might be back.  A lot of players were non-tendered to avoid granting arbitration rights.  This feels like it could be one of those situations.  (We like you but not enough to let an arbitrator give you too big of a raise...)

13 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Wow, Galchenyuk got another contract, a two-way deal with Arizona.  I was pretty sure he'd try his hand overseas next season.

Tucson is a nice location to spend an AHL season, even at a paltry $225K.

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

Wow. Less than million for a .5 ppg player.

Yes, as much as i hated his soft play, he is skilled in the offensive zone for sure and am sure Aves will be more than happy with value and production.

Masterton trophy candidate he could be. 

• Like 1

This came into my feed this morning: https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/ex-canucks-coach-alain-vigneault-announces-retirement?fbclid=IwAR1_ohwTC_bG0AfrIrEDDLZnb2WUObYF3IZMXW55trsk6i1CnFzpjn02omU_aem_ARvA719VPU3zE1wDZGe2mBiOh4OFQkY2QBZrbM8PmxLzG36c8NpWCdR2iqqIUdtOLbc

Always liked AV and was happy to see him finally get a second chance in the bigs (after watching teams hand that blithering, incompetent arsehole Therrien jobs over and over). A fine coach.

19 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

This came into my feed this morning: https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/ex-canucks-coach-alain-vigneault-announces-retirement?fbclid=IwAR1_ohwTC_bG0AfrIrEDDLZnb2WUObYF3IZMXW55trsk6i1CnFzpjn02omU_aem_ARvA719VPU3zE1wDZGe2mBiOh4OFQkY2QBZrbM8PmxLzG36c8NpWCdR2iqqIUdtOLbc

Always liked AV and was happy to see him finally get a second chance in the bigs (after watching teams hand that blithering, incompetent arsehole Therrien jobs over and over). A fine coach.

I always like Vigneault too, couldn't win the cup but had some nice runs with different teams

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Dominique Ducharme has joined Vegas as an assistant coach.

Alex Galchenyuk is now on contract termination waivers.  The NHLPA is looking into the matter apparently.

Wasn’t galchenyuk just signed this summer by someone?

57 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Need an expert on shutting down Cole Caufield in case Vegas plays us in the Cup Final.

Will be hard to do when he can’t keep out of the lineup, or make sure he plays with plugs!

1 hour ago, DON said:

Poor Alex

Sounds like he MAY have brought it on himself.

Katie Strang
@KatieJStrang
Senior investigative writer, The Athletic;

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Sounds like he MAY have brought it on himself.

Yup, he certainly did. Some people never grow up. He could have had a good career but obviously he has made some bad choices along the way. It's too bad but he has nobody to blame but himself. I doubt if anyone will sign him now. Maybe he can play in Europe. 

6 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Katie Strang
@KatieJStrang
Senior investigative writer, The Athletic;

You can get away with this shot if you are a a productive important player like O’Reilly was in Buffalo, or Matthews with his Phoenix incident. Not so much when you are a marginal player who has been playing have stuck will travel and has gone through almost as many towns as Paladin!

7 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

You can get away with this shot if you are a a productive important player like O’Reilly was in Buffalo, or Matthews with his Phoenix incident. Not so much when you are a marginal player who has been playing have stuck will travel and has gone through almost as many towns as Paladin!

Hit and run maybe, but that's quite a litany of charges after that.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Hit and run maybe, but that's quite a litany of charges after that.

I would think hit and run is kind of next level?  But I don’t track the private activities of players very closely. Maybe NHL players are committing hit and runs all the time.

Galchenyuk is of course responsible for his own life. However, the Habs’ bringing him up to the NHL at 19 probably didn’t do him any favours, either in terms of his development as a player or a human being 🤷‍♂️ They obviously misjudged the kid’s “character.” 

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I suspect the kind of “character” that Bergevin looked for was also different from what Hughes wants now.

Both seem to like size, but in terms of personality, I suspect Hughes prioritizes intelligence where Bergevin would have emphasized…I don’t know what. Speaking in cliches? Doing what you’re told? Taking a lot of punishment? (It can’t be working hard and showing up to play at 100% every shift, since otherwise he would have loved PK Subban).

In any case, Galchenyuk, who was always uncoachable and is now under arrest, clearly does not fit **anybody’s** idea of “character.” It’s conceivable that an organization with a much better approach to player development would have helped nudge him toward a more successful trajectory, but who knows. Never seeming especially bright, and supposedly dominated by his father, he may have been doomed from the start.