2021-22 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

59 minutes ago, DON said:

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/updates-from-morning-skate-january-29/c-330285330

How will Kane fare in today's game?

(hat-trick?)

Drunk, gambling, and assault?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I'm glad Kane made it to the game.  I would have thought he'd be in Ottawa with the anti-vaxxers. 

So, playing with McDavid and Yamamoto. Will it be Lehkonen-Suzuki-Toffoli against them?

If the Habs are interested his suspension would be up after the habs first game following the break and he would be available when the Caps came to Montreal ... I'd rather him (or another journeyman) and Primeau back in Laval 

Curious question, and I can't really think of any other similar situations, but the Sharks terminated Kane's contract and Kane has a filed a grievance.  Now that he is an Oiler what would happen exactly if Kane wins his grievance?  

Would that nullify his contract with the Oilers?  Would the Sharks be forced to take him back or would they have to buy him out? 

12 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Curious question, and I can't really think of any other similar situations, but the Sharks terminated Kane's contract and Kane has a filed a grievance.  Now that he is an Oiler what would happen exactly if Kane wins his grievance?  

Would that nullify his contract with the Oilers?  Would the Sharks be forced to take him back or would they have to buy him out? 

He gets his buyout plus his salary. More likely, they settle.

37 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

It sounds like the arbitrator's ruling can work outside the scope of the league rules.  In other words, if Kane wins, he could be owed the money from the contract but the contract itself wouldn't be restored.  Here's a good piece from Vancouver's former assistant GM (who worked on the legal side of things) from the other day with a note about that scenario: https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/gear-how-will-nhl-investigation-impact-evander-kanes-grievance/

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

It sounds like the arbitrator's ruling can work outside the scope of the league rules.  In other words, if Kane wins, he could be owed the money from the contract but the contract itself wouldn't be restored.  Here's a good piece from Vancouver's former assistant GM (who worked on the legal side of things) from the other day with a note about that scenario: https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/gear-how-will-nhl-investigation-impact-evander-kanes-grievance/

Oh ok, thanks!!  I wasn't sure, because it is a rare situation that doesn't come up very often. 

I was somewhat surprised when there was talk that Kane could sign with another team.  I assumed that his grievance would have to be resolved before that could happen.  

Thinking about it, there was a somewhat similar contract termination situation that I recall regarding Richards when he was caught at the border with Oxycontin.  The Kings claimed he had breached his contract and used that to dump him.   I forget how that ended but I'm pretty sure that the NHLPA eventually got involved and backed Richards.  

2 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Oh ok, thanks!!  I wasn't sure, because it is a rare situation that doesn't come up very often. 

I was somewhat surprised when there was talk that Kane could sign with another team.  I assumed that his grievance would have to be resolved before that could happen.  

Thinking about it, there was a somewhat similar contract termination situation that I recall regarding Richards when he was caught at the border with Oxycontin.  The Kings claimed he had breached his contract and used that to dump him.   I forget how that ended but I'm pretty sure that the NHLPA eventually got involved and backed Richards.  

They settled that one.  The Kings paid somewhere less than a full buyout and had it count against the camp. 

The arbitrator would have had to decide was the termination legal (0 to Richards).... or not (a full buyout to richards).  Instead of letting the arbitrator decide they agreed to meet somwhere in the middle.

So, it's not just the Habs that have goaltending woes. Rask, finally back in Boston, is now out with a lower-body injury, so it's back to Ullmark and Swayman.

Dallas outshot the Bruins 29-26 -- but Swayman and Ullmark gave up six goals on those 29 shots for a 6-1 final. Sound familiar?

As for our goalies, I feel like they are shell-shocked and demoralized from the lack of defensive support in recent games. Maybe the break will help them, and hopefully Hughes will have a second NHL goalie, allowing Primeau to return to the Rocket.

For fans, it seems quite a change to see Hughes not mincing words and being bit more open already than MB/Bob/Goat ever were.

I do not know if that is a good thing or not, but many fans/media have asked for it for long time.

Big difference to me with MB (who was pretty candid) is that Hughes is not saying “I cannot do that for the players, they want to win and I have to respect that” 

Hughes is saying the right thing from an organization perspective regardless on how that may affect players

although he is still being diplomatic about it

If true, Martin Madden Jr. will have been passed over ... would he want to leave Anaheim?  ... is his contract up or would the Ducks let him (disgruntled? employee) go?  ... would he consider Montreal?  ... curious minds want to know (or at least mine does).

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

If true, Martin Madden Jr. will have been passed over ... would he want to leave Anaheim?  ... is his contract up or would the Ducks let him (disgruntled? employee) go?  ... would he consider Montreal?  ... curious minds want to know (or at least mine does).

It's official now.  I get the sense that Madden Jr. probably won't be too upset about the outcome.  He's really a behind the scenes guy with the AGM title being more honourary than indicative of his spot in the hierarchy and he definitely seems to prefer being behind the scenes.  Many don't realize Timmins was an AGM his last several years as well - the title is a way to give them a raise and protect them from teams trying to poach them but I don't think anyone realistically thinks those head scouts are going to be anything but head scouts in the long run. 

Part of the reason Madden Jr. made some sense in theory was that Gorton would effectively be the GM in reality with Madden Jr. taking Timmins' role with a higher-paying title, not that Madden Jr. was going to come in and be the top decision-maker on everything.  Unless Verbeek wants to bring his own top scout in, I expect Madden Jr. will happily stay put.

Since NOBODY can have any idea what the circumstances will be come June, relocate it now and give Montreal the 2023 (Connor Bedard) Draft - IMO.

Just now, Commandant said:

Its a july draft

Apologies ... no change to the fundamental point

• Like 1

Monday, February 7
Practice
LW C RW
62 - Artturi Lehkonen 14 - Nick Suzuki 73 - Tyler Toffoli
41 - Paul Byron 71 - Jake Evans 17 - Josh Anderson
68 - Mike Hoffman 28 - Christian Dvorak 11 - Brendan Gallagher
40 - Joel Armia 45 - Laurent Dauphin 22 - Cole Caufield
55 - Michael Pezzetta 32 - Rem Pitlick / 25 - Ryan Poehling 13 - Cedric Paquette
LD RD G
8 - Ben Chiarot 27 - Alexander Romanov 35 - Sam Montembeault
77 - Brett Kulak 26 - Jeff Petry 30 - Cayden Primeau
43 - Kale Clague 20 - Chris Wideman  

Engels made me laugh with his lineup today, took me a few seconds to figure out the 3rd pair D!

Not Hab related but, if only...

Such a different player than #99/#66 were. Not sure who is even a comparable (the Rocket, B.Hull, Lindros?)?

But, the man is some strong on his slates, that is for sure.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic