Jump to content

2022 NHL Offseason Thread


 Share

Recommended Posts

41 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Also for the following;

 

  1. The player has signed a one-year contract after returning from a long-term injury (has played 400 or more games, and spent 100 or more days on the Injured Reserve in the last year of their most recent contract).

Again, Drouin has a lot to prove to himself and the NHL community.

 

So he would have to spend 100 or more days on IR this coming season ... or a minimum 54% of the 183-day long season ... ***IF*** that happens he may face a difficult time getting a contract next summer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, tomh009 said:

In his first two full seasons Drouin recorded 0.6 and 0.65 points/game; he was third and fourth among the Habs' forwards.

 

Between the last three seasons, broken up by injuries and COVID, he only played 103 games in total, some of those injured. His production over those three seasons was down to 0.55/game, but that still was good enough for sixth among the Habs forwards (at least 80 games played).

 

He's a playmaker, not a sniper, and he's putting up more points than Anderson, who has the same AAV (but until age 33). I don't have quite the same issue with him as most people here do. I'd be perfectly happy if we were able to sign him to an extension with a reasonable hometown discount. Fifty-point forwards generally can't be had at league minimum contracts.

 

Drouin may produce at the rate of a 50-point player but rarely actually gets there.  He has done so twice in eight seasons, reaching 53 in two of those (including his only contract year).  He's always injured and if memory serves, tends to be a player who rarely makes it back in a typical time frame for an injury.  That makes it unlikely on a year-to-year basis that he'll come close to 50 points so teams aren't going to view him like one.

 

What would you call a reasonable hometown discount in his instance?  As things stand, I think he's looking at a minimum of a $1M pay cut for 2023-24 already based on what transpired for free agents this summer (and it'll be worse next year).  I don't think Montreal would have any interest in him at that price.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Amongst forwards with an AAV of $5.25-5.75M last season, Drouin was 19th out of 28 such forwards in points per game ... so not HORRIBLE value for money.

 

A big part of my point was that he doesn't bring anything else other than points. Not good value at all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

A big part of my point was that he doesn't bring anything else other than points. Not good value at all. 

Like defence? A very basic and much-maligned stat, but Drouin was -17 for the past two seasons (and barely played under St-Louis).  Anderson (a comparison point as he is also a winger at the same salary) was -35, and I don't think his usage was all that much different.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Drouin was having a good season before he got slashed on the wrist. He tried to come back but couldn’t play through the pain

He then spiralled into mental health issues.

He got threaded for that, and maybe (I speculate) pain killers. He said in an interview this week that he has accepted the fact that his wrist will never be the same 

In the past two seasons, he was back checking  more and involved all over the ice. I brought it up whenever I saw it and other in the forum agreed

 

He is a 2nd line 20 goal 50 point winger that can get hot for longer stretches than Armia, Hoffman and the like 

 

what’s so bad about that?! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Drouin was having a good season before he got slashed on the wrist. He tried to come back but couldn’t play through the pain

He then spiralled into mental health issues.

He got threaded for that, and maybe (I speculate) pain killers. He said in an interview this week that he has accepted the fact that his wrist will never be the same 

In the past two seasons, he was back checking  more and involved all over the ice. I brought it up whenever I saw it and other in the forum agreed

 

He is a 2nd line 20 goal 50 point winger that can get hot for longer stretches than Armia, Hoffman and the like 

 

what’s so bad about that?! 

 

It's obviously a big concern if his wrist will never be the same and getting hot for longer stretches than Armia is nothing to brag about. He has talent and I wish him well but I  just don't think he is good value at 5.5m/year and glad his contract is up this year so HuGo can make a decision. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

 

It's obviously a big concern if his wrist will never be the same and getting hot for longer stretches than Armia is nothing to brag about. He has talent and I wish him well but I  just don't think he is good value at 5.5m/year and glad his contract is up this year so HuGo can make a decision. 

I wouldn’t even want him back at $4m/yr on a short 2 to 3 year deal.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

 

It's obviously a big concern if his wrist will never be the same and getting hot for longer stretches than Armia is nothing to brag about. He has talent and I wish him well but I  just don't think he is good value at 5.5m/year and glad his contract is up this year so HuGo can make a decision. 

Need a machine to mold Drouin's god given skills with Pezzetta's effort, then would have a player worth a few bucks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I wouldn’t even want him back at $4m/yr on a short 2 to 3 year deal.

 

I am almost certain he will be traded at the deadline, so this is not going to happen.

 

a 2-3 year at $4M to $4.5M would be fine for me. He can be good on the PP and on controlled zone entries. He is less of a defensive liability than Hoffman and younger.

 

I expect him to have a solid season if he plays all season and if his line is healthy: Drouin-Dvorak-Andeson

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

He is less of a defensive liability than Hoffman and younger.

Not sure will see him on the PK this season and that is splitting hairs on defense. Both make my eyes bleed coasting around out there, while the other 4 guys working their ass off, especially in own end.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with pretty much all the negative characterizations of Drouin in this thread. Soft, unreliable, one-dimensional, often-injured. He’s a 50-point 6th forward who brings little to the table other than inconsistent skill and who spends as much time out of the lineup as in it.

 

8 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I wouldn’t even want him back at $4m/yr on a short 2 to 3 year deal.

 

Drouin is almost the prototype of a player that a good organization would replace from within through developing cheap young talent, rather than signing him to a $4 million deal. If we can’t bring up a 50-point W through drafting and development, then we’re in bigger trouble than I think. And whomever we bring up is likely to be more consistent and well-rounded than Drouin, even if less naturally talented. 

 

He should have no future with the Montreal Canadiens. 

 

The French factor will make this complicated, however; as will the risk of his finally having a good season. 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DON said:

Not sure will see him on the PK this season and that is splitting hairs on defense. Both make my eyes bleed coasting around out there, while the other 4 guys working their ass off, especially in own end.


Don, Drouin used to be like that but he changed when he started to work with DD two summers ago.

I probably won’t change your mind, but I am certain the change is there and that it has been reported in various occasions 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The French factor will make this complicated, however; as will the risk of his finally having a good season. 

 

 

The French factor is not a consideration for Molson and Hugh-Gort

That ship has sailed 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Also for the following;

 

  1. The player has signed a one-year contract after returning from a long-term injury (has played 400 or more games, and spent 100 or more days on the Injured Reserve in the last year of their most recent contract).

Again, Drouin has a lot to prove to himself and the NHL community.

 

So he would have to spend 100+ days on IR this coming season ... or a minimum 54% of the 183-day long season ... time will tell.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

HuGo talk a lot about hockey IQ being an important factor to their team philosophy. 
 

Drouin is not gifted in that area.

 

Just to be a contrarian :D this is what EliteProspects wrote back in 2012. Of course Drouin may have misplaced it all ...

 

Quote

An agile forward, Drouin is very creative and a good skater. He is an extremely offensive player with fantastic hands and excellent on-ice-vision. Drouin has a good shot but is best used as a playmaker and is very dangerous on the powerplay. Drouin is not a large player or an explosive skater, but he is very agile and able to play his way out of tight spots thanks to his hockey sense. (Matias Strozyk, 2012)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

 

Just to be a contrarian :D this is what EliteProspects wrote back in 2012. Of course Drouin may have misplaced it all ...

 

 


LOL yeah…. Drouin does show high level passing skills but he makes poor decisions with the puck all of the time. 
 

I would be shocked if Drouin is a Hab after this season because he does not embody what HuGo described as their type of player. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is adding Lefebvre good news for the Habs vis-a-vis Florida's first rounder?  In general with respect to his coaching, and more specifically with respect to his vaccine status?  ... he was fired by CBJ before last season because he would not get vaccinated ... seems like an issue with three in-division teams in Canada ... and 4 other road games in Canada ... let alone come the playoffs.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He was a terrible head coach - absolutely terrible at everything, including player development, if results are any indication. His anti-vacc position reinforces the impression that he is a clown. I don't want him anywhere near the CH, happy to let FLA take him. He seems to fit the "Florida Man" meme to a "T."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

He was a terrible head coach - absolutely terrible at everything, including player development, if results are any indication. His anti-vacc position reinforces the impression that he is a clown. I don't want him anywhere near the CH, happy to let FLA take him. He seems to fit the "Florida Man" meme to a "T."

Yep.

perfect match for Florida’s political environment.

hopefully he brings the team down in the standings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

It will make little sense unless the Habs retain money but let the "Price to Vegas" rumours begin (if my calculations are correct, retaining $5M would leave Vegas about $1.5M of cap space before going into LTIR, and save the habs $500K and a year of contract term).

In all likelihood, Montreal is on Lehner's 8-team NTC so even the details of a possible deal are irrelevant.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

It will make little sense unless the Habs retain money but let the "Price to Vegas" rumours begin (if my calculations are correct, retaining $5M would leave Vegas about $1.5M of cap space before going into LTIR, and save the habs $500K and a year of contract term).

In all likelihood, Montreal is on Lehner's 8-team NTC so even the details of a possible deal are irrelevant.

 

This isn't going to trigger Price to Vegas speculation.  At least it shouldn't.  Yes, Vegas needs a goalie.  No, they don't need that goalie to be Price.  They'll probably ask about Allen and I wouldn't be shocked to see them try to push for Varlamov from the Islanders, one who makes the exact same money as Lehner and is on an expiring deal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

This isn't going to trigger Price to Vegas speculation.  At least it shouldn't ...

 

Apologies ... should have posted

but let the "Price to Vegas" rumours begin 🙄

 

to convey my intended tone ... the rest was a "what-if thought exercise" ... times they are a boring.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...