2022-23 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

The not talked about discussion:

https://instagram.com/aleksandrovechkinofficial

Ovi with Putin on profile photo.

Ovi chasing Gretzky of Ukrainian heritage 

https://www.essentiallysports.com/us-sports-news-ice-hockey-nhl-news-really-touching-for-me-emotional-wayne-gretzky-explains-the-ukrainian-influence-on-his-family-in-a-resurfaced-video/

Now fast FWD:

Ovi beating Gretzky. Russian beating Ukrainian .. Ovi with Putin on his IG

And all the Propaganda going with this for Russia on this.

Just saying.

We have Freedoms. And this has never been brought up. Yet with Freedoms The NHL has their own bylaws of conduct.

Sure Ovi has the right to post as he wishes. But there should be sensibility here. Obvious he is using his freedom to his advantage which may assume protecting his family. BUT what if... The above him chasing a Ukrainian heritage player record 🤔🤔

Just saying...

Anytime you use as much LTIR as the Habs had to use, you are gonna get bonus overages. 

Moving Price ala the way we moved Weber sometime in the next few years would be helpful, though moving his deal is a bit harder than Weber at least this year. 

15 minutes ago, DON said:

I get the breakdown.

Just wondering, that $1.1m drops Habs eligible cap room to spend this summer by $1.1m? Is that the jist?

The $1.1M simply counts against whatever the cap ends up being next season, essentially like another contract.

EDIT: It is the consequence of being in LTIR because of Carey "I don't want to be a burden" Price's contract ... it becomes impossible to "budget" and fit the bonuses under the current season's cap.

4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

The $1.1M simply counts against whatever the cap ends up being next season, essentially like another contract.

Just like it did this year. 

So, what is reasonable amount to assume Hughes will have to play with, if wants to go the free agent route?

Assuming Drouin-Gurianov both gone.

12 hours ago, DON said:

So, what is reasonable amount to assume Hughes will have to play with, if wants to go the free agent route?

Assuming Drouin-Gurianov both gone.

Without signing any further contracts, CapFriendly shows them with just over $75M spent (including the bonus carryover and the last season of the "Alzner Penalty") ... but that includes Cary "I don't want to be a burden" Price ... so assuming an $83.5 cap, HuGo have up to just shy of $19M of cap space assuming (pretty safe bet) that Price goes on LTIR ... CURRENTLY it shows about $1.2M of 23/24 bonuses that will then carry-over to 24/25 (could increase if more ELC's, or a Monahan bonus contract, are added ... or decrease if players on ELCs demoted next season).

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Without signing any further contracts, CapFriendly shows them with just over $75M spent (including the bonus carryover and the last season of the "Alzner Penalty") ... but that includes Cary "I don't want to be a burden" Price ... so assuming an $83.5 cap, HuGo have up to just shy of $19M of cap space assuming (pretty safe bet) that Price goes on LTIR ... CURRENTLY it shows about $1.2M of 23/24 bonuses that will then carry-over to 24/25 (could increase if more ELC's, or a Monahan bonus contract, are added ... or decrease if players on ELCs demoted next season).

Awesome thanks

I really don’t foresee Hughes signing a UFA this year, unless it’s on a bargain contract. Trade for an RFA, maybe within the realm of possibility.

Why? First, Habs are not ready to contend. Second, we have too many veterans blocking the young players’ way already. And third, the UFA market is fairly weak this summer anyway.

• Upvote 1

Thorough article by Basu/Godin

https://theathletic.com/4437041/2023/04/22/montreal-canadiens-salary-cap-caufield/?source=weeklyemail&campaign=602288

And i guess this is also very important to factor in.

"Nick Suzuki is a perfect example of that, and there are several others around the NHL, so it will be no different for the Canadiens’ other young core players. If Guhle continues showing the growth he showed in the first half of the season and if Slafkovský makes as big a leap between now and then as the Canadiens hope he will, then they are both two years away from a big payday. Arber Xhekaj, Sam Montembeault and Justin Barron might not strike it rich to the same extent, but they will each need contracts next summer. It all adds up, and even with a salary cap expected to rise significantly next summer, it all needs to be managed."

Harvey-Pinard bit;

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/seven-unheralded-nhl-rookies-making-noise-at-the-end-of-the-2022-23-season

Rafael Harvey-Pinard, LW (Montreal Canadiens)

It was always a good night when the Canadiens escaped a game without a season-ending injury. It was an even better night when RHP found the back of the net, something he has managed to do 12 times in 30 games already. Taken in the seventh round in 2019, Pinard showed some offense in junior, but undersized, goal-scoring wingers are a dime a dozen in the QMJHL. But after an excellent 2021-22 season with Laval, Harvey-Pinard quickly established himself as a prospect to watch, and now he’s become one of Montreal’s best players over the past few months. Is it a young guy playing way above his actual long-term potential, or could Harvey-Pinard be a diamond in the rough? The verdict’s still out, but the results are quite something.

4 hours ago, DON said:

Thorough article by Basu/Godin

https://theathletic.com/4437041/2023/04/22/montreal-canadiens-salary-cap-caufield/?source=weeklyemail&campaign=602288

And i guess this is also very important to factor in.

"Nick Suzuki is a perfect example of that, and there are several others around the NHL, so it will be no different for the Canadiens’ other young core players. If Guhle continues showing the growth he showed in the first half of the season and if Slafkovský makes as big a leap between now and then as the Canadiens hope he will, then they are both two years away from a big payday. Arber Xhekaj, Sam Montembeault and Justin Barron might not strike it rich to the same extent, but they will each need contracts next summer. It all adds up, and even with a salary cap expected to rise significantly next summer, it all needs to be managed."

Harvey-Pinard bit;

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/seven-unheralded-nhl-rookies-making-noise-at-the-end-of-the-2022-23-season

Rafael Harvey-Pinard, LW (Montreal Canadiens)

It was always a good night when the Canadiens escaped a game without a season-ending injury. It was an even better night when RHP found the back of the net, something he has managed to do 12 times in 30 games already. Taken in the seventh round in 2019, Pinard showed some offense in junior, but undersized, goal-scoring wingers are a dime a dozen in the QMJHL. But after an excellent 2021-22 season with Laval, Harvey-Pinard quickly established himself as a prospect to watch, and now he’s become one of Montreal’s best players over the past few months. Is it a young guy playing way above his actual long-term potential, or could Harvey-Pinard be a diamond in the rough? The verdict’s still out, but the results are quite something.

I expect by the time we need to hand out raises, Bergevin’s sins will be dealt with - Armia contract and Gallagher’s contract (wouldn’t surprise me if Gallagher is a LTIR move like Weber) I also expect Price’s contract is dealt as well. 

But…Habs are going to have some issues to navigate with all of the young talent needing raises at roughly the same time. 

Wouldn’t be surprised if Hughes has to trade players that he doesn’t want to at some point. Also highlights the need to NOT overpay bottom 6 - no matter how great of a 4th liner they are. 

4 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

...Armia contract and Gallagher’s contract (wouldn’t surprise me if Gallagher is a LTIR move like Weber) I also expect Price’s contract is dealt as well ...

Armia has averaged 56.4 games played since becoming a full-time NHLer, with only one season of more than 60 ... he has scored a total of 20 goals in 144 games over the last three seasons, about 7 goals per season ... a buyout would cost $33,333, $1,033,333, $1,433,333 and $1,433,333 over the next four years so that is unlikely (it is a little better after next season ... $866,667 and $1,266,667) ... but I could see HUGO trying to bring back a similar contract that fits the roster better, retaining $1-1.5M to get some modest value in return and/or perhaps as part of a larger trade, OR perhaps most likely just suffering with him for another season.

Gallagher has FOUR more seasons on his dead, so tough to trade (praying Bergevin gets a GM job since he "loves" BG) ... he would need to be unable to play to go on LTIR, and absent a new MAJOR injury, I don't see Gallagher as a "finish out my career on LTIR" type of guy unless he has no choice ... I would love to move him out, but I don't see it.

Unlike Weber, Price (subject to whatever insurance covers, if anything) costs $8.5/7.5/7.5M in real dollars for the remainder of his contract ... unlike Weber, the "free cap hit" is relatively small ... unless he retires, Carey "I don't want to be a burden" Price will likely be one vis-a-vis the cap for the rest of his contract.

Sorry to be a downer.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

but I could see HUGO trying to bring back a similar contract that fits the roster better, retaining $1-1.5M to get some modest value in return and/or perhaps as part of a larger trade, OR perhaps most likely just suffering with him for another season.

I would argue that what Armia does is actually good fit for the roster: we don’t have a surplus of effective two-way forwards with Danault and Lehkonen gone. The contract is the problem, not the fit.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

I would argue that what Armia does is actually good fit for the roster: we don’t have a surplus of effective two-way forwards with Danault and Lehkonen gone. The contract is the problem, not the fit.

Armia can be that player but simply wasnt this season.

12 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Armia has averaged 56.4 games played since becoming a full-time NHLer, with only one season of more than 60 ... he has scored a total of 20 goals in 144 games over the last three seasons, about 7 goals per season ... a buyout would cost $33,333, $1,033,333, $1,433,333 and $1,433,333 over the next four years so that is unlikely (it is a little better after next season ... $866,667 and $1,266,667) ... but I could see HUGO trying to bring back a similar contract that fits the roster better, retaining $1-1.5M to get some modest value in return and/or perhaps as part of a larger trade, OR perhaps most likely just suffering with him for another season.

Gallagher has FOUR more seasons on his dead, so tough to trade (praying Bergevin gets a GM job since he "loves" BG) ... he would need to be unable to play to go on LTIR, and absent a new MAJOR injury, I don't see Gallagher as a "finish out my career on LTIR" type of guy unless he has no choice ... I would love to move him out, but I don't see it.

Unlike Weber, Price (subject to whatever insurance covers, if anything) costs $8.5/7.5/7.5M in real dollars for the remainder of his contract ... unlike Weber, the "free cap hit" is relatively small ... unless he retires, Carey "I don't want to be a burden" Price will likely be one vis-a-vis the cap for the rest of his contract.

Sorry to be a downer.

With Gallagher, I think that he has been hurt for the better part of the last two seasons so I wonder if he will get to a place where he just can’t play anymore. 

At least that is my hope!

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

Armia can be that player but simply wasn't this season.

I don't think he has been that player since 2019-20.

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

He played extremely well in the 2021 season, especially the playoffs. 

I think he has fallen off two straight years though and that's worrisome.  Of course the whole team has stunk. 

47 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Since he took that big hit and had a concussion, is my theory. But, i mean he is basically a checker & 10g scorer anyways.

9 minutes ago, DON said:

Since he took that big hit and had a concussion, is my theory. But, i mean he is basically a checker & 10g scorer anyways.

The effectiveness of his checking/defensive ability is what is in question.... if he scores 6 goals or 14, its not really the question, but he needs to be good on the PK, and against top lines at ES, and he's not been as good the last two years. 

17 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The effectiveness of his checking/defensive ability is what is in question.... if he scores 6 goals or 14, its not really the question, but he needs to be good on the PK, and against top lines at ES, and he's not been as good the last two years. 

After this hit i think he changed;

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/joel-armia-has-been-diagnosed-with-a-concussion-after-tyler-myers-hit-paul-byron-foot-weber-slapshot/

10 minutes ago, DON said:

Thats certainly possible and fits the timeline. (not cleanly, but close enough). 

He's also had some struggles with illness, and I wonder if he's got long covid ala Jonathan Toews as well.  Certainly another possibility that would effect his strength and endurance. 

• tomh009 unpinned this topic