2022-23 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

8 hours ago, sbhatt said:

I'd love to lose all of the remaining games in regulation, but that last game against Boston is probably going to against a lineup with most of their top players being healthy scratches.

Boston may still be looking to beat the Habs' 76-77 regular-season points record. (Of course it was set with two fewer games and without loser points, but who pays attention to the details anyway?)

2 hours ago, Neech said:

Unfortunately the Panthers are looking good to make the playoffs now, three winnable games and then two against teams with likely nothing play for. 

Pittsburgh's schedule is not strong but they probably need 10 of 12 points, and I don't know if they're in form to pull that off.

I think the Islanders are the team they catch as they lost again tonight.  Need a big effort from Buffalo who still has a shot. 

15 minutes ago, DON said:

Mailloux as part if deal for Dubois? Just not sure how Mailloux is seen by new Habs mgmt?

Does Hughes see him as more Bergevin blunder-good trade chip or future core piece?

image.png

20 minutes ago, DON said:

Mailloux as part if deal for Dubois? Just not sure how Mailloux is seen by new Habs mgmt?

Does Hughes see him as more Bergevin blunder-good trade chip or future core piece?

https://habather.ca/2023/03/19/week-25-in-one-word-atmosphere/

That is a great question. He is certainly a good trade chip as big right handed defensemen with his skill set are not a dime a dozen. I think Hughes has been supportive but if he did see the pick as a Bergevin blunder he would certainly keep those thoughts to himself. I almost think Mailloux would be better off in a US market where the scrutiny would be far less. Some place like Anaheim might be ideal for him. 

44 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

...I almost think Mailloux would be better off in a US market where the scrutiny would be far less. Some place like Anaheim might be ideal for him. 

How about to Arizona for their first-rounder?

image.png

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

We have a lack of RHD prospects. I'm not sure moving Mailloux makes sense.  We have so much more on the left. 

That's true. Having said that how much do you think Mailloux's trade value has gone up speaking hypothetically? He was drafted late 1st round, you would think his value is higher than a late 1st round pick now. 

17 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That's true. Having said that how much do you think Mailloux's trade value has gone up speaking hypothetically? He was drafted late 1st round, you would think his value is higher than a late 1st round pick now. 

Its probably a 2nd rounder now. 

36 minutes ago, Commandant said:

We have a lack of RHD prospects. I'm not sure moving Mailloux makes sense.  We have so much more on the left. 

I wouldn't move him. I'm not sure how much I want pld even without giving up assets. He's never had a point per game  season. If he's paid according to his performance,  than ya its a no Brainerd, but if they get googoo eyes over the big French centre, it could be a contract mistake.

3 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I wouldn't move him. I'm not sure how much I want pld even without giving up assets. He's never scored 1 ppg in a season ...

PLD has 35 career power-play goals ... 26 since he got out of Columbus

The day after a prospect is drafted, the value goes down.  The hypothetical pick where you get anyone you want vs a specific prospect means value is lower (it could go up with play).... but thats one factor.  Add in the number of injuries and Mailloux hasn't played that much. 

Add in the fact the market you'd trade him to is limited.  Some teams wont touch him for PR reasons. 

Add in that this draft is better than his year.

Those are three reasons I see him getting a second.

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

I wouldn't move him. I'm not sure how much I want pld even without giving up assets. He's never had a point per game  season. If he's paid according to his performance,  than ya its a no Brainerd, but if they get googoo eyes over the big French centre, it could be a contract mistake.

I am not as high on PLD as some on this forum. Not enough to trade a D prospect like Mailloux which may be as promising as Barron on the right side.

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

We should keep Mailloux - at least for now. As others have said, we are weak on the right side so why trade a promising RD? 

Let’s see if he can keep improving 

even if he only plays to Kovacevic's level, I would keep him. RDs are hard to come by

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

even if he only plays to Kovacevic's level, I would keep him. RDs are hard to come by

His defense "they" say is still seems pretty weak.

https://theathletic.com/4359140/2023/04/04/la-saison-de-logan-mailloux-a-mis-en-lumiere-son-talent-et-le-travail-qui-reste-a-faire/?source=emp_shared_article

"Martin St-Louis reminds us from time to time that defensive play is not a talent, but a choice, the choice to put in the effort to apply the principles required of players. It's just as much within reach of Mailloux, but for the moment, the junior player that he is sometimes abandons any structure to throw himself everywhere, try to deal with the most pressing and lose all notion of positioning. It can be dizzying."

A 6'5" RHD with a CANNON of a shot doesn't come around often. We just need to take our time with the classic Red Wings model and give him at least two FULL seasons in the AHL to shore up his defensive game, and let the negative PR baggage dissipate a bit. If we still want to trade him then, his value will have only gone up.

• tomh009 unpinned this topic