2022-23 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

17 minutes ago, DON said:

One reason, why a win or two wont hurt.

https://theathletic.com/4359668/2023/03/29/sean-farrell-canadiens-debut/

..."It contributed to culture.

St. Louis mentioned after the win in Buffalo on Monday how the bench lit up when Kovacevic was sent over the boards. The guys were fired up, and then one shooter later, Pezzetta had the experience of a lifetime. These are the types of guys teammates like to see get rewarded, and that’s part of culture."

That's a good article and I appreciate what St. Louis is doing and it obviously gains him the respect of the players.  It is good to see them battling hard very night. Culture is important. As a fan it sucks to cheer for them to lose to get a better draft pick but hopefully next year we will be done with that. 

Just now, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That's a good article and I appreciate what St. Louis is doing and it obviously gains him the respect of the players.  It is good to see them battling hard very night. Culture is important. As a fan it sucks to cheer for them to lose to get a better draft pick but hopefully next year we will be done with that. 

I agree with his take. The Habs will not finish bottom 3 regardless how they play.

That is why I would prefer for Ylonen and Harvey-Pinard to be sent down to Laval now, so that Mysak, Heineman, Norlinder, Primeau and the rest of the Rocket get a chance to go on a cup run.

That would help build a winning culture in the organization more than winning any games in the NHL this season

17 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I agree with his take. The Habs will not finish bottom 3 regardless how they play.

That is why I would prefer for Ylonen and Harvey-Pinard to be sent down to Laval now, so that Mysak, Heineman, Norlinder, Primeau and the rest of the Rocket get a chance to go on a cup run.

That would help build a winning culture in the organization more than winning any games in the NHL this season

I hear you and it's a valid argument. Players who have played well in the minors also deserve a shot to see what they can do at the NHL level as that is their dream to play there so it's great to see Ylonen and RHP play well for the Habs.  

39 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Whats your take on St Louis 'seemingly' a bit miffed that "Kent" forced his hand with Farrell. A player that hasnt even practiced with the team yet?

Was Basu reading too much into St Louis's comments?

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I hear you and it's a valid argument. Players who have played well in the minors also deserve a shot to see what they can do at the NHL level as that is their dream to play there so it's great to see Ylonen and RHP play well for the Habs.  

The Habs have 7 games left, the Rocket has 7 games too.

Habs are officially eliminated and are 10 points higher than the 4th worse NHL team (ANA), but only one worst than ARZ

Rocket is 1 point out of the playoffs.

If the Habs were to fall back behind the Ducks, they would have 1% better odds to draft Bedard.

If the Rocket misses the playoffs, the Habs will not get a chance to see how well they perform on a contract year (are they worth resigning?): Harvey-Pinard (RFA), Ylonen (RFA), Teasdale (RFA), Richard(UFA), Stephens (RFA), Beaudin (RFA), Leskinen (UFA), Allard (UFA), Schueneman (UFA), Bowey (UFA)

I hope they throw a life line to the Rocket

2 minutes ago, DON said:

Whats your take on St Louis 'seemingly' a bit miffed that "Kent" forced his hand with Farrell. A player that hasnt even practiced with the team yet?

multiple journalists have reported the reaction from MSL. He was not happy and he let the reporters know

48 minutes ago, DON said:

I think St. Louis was being completely honest and wanted to let the players know who have played hard for him that it wasn't his decision. I think that kind of reaction is more likely to get loyalty from the players than just siding with management's decisions. I think Hughes will understand St. Louis's reaction and it won't have a negative effect on their relationship. That's just my take anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Rocket is 1 point out of the playoffs.

I hope they throw a life line to the Rocket

Just so everyone's clear on this (I know not everyone follows them), Laval is one point out of a play-in spot, not a guaranteed playoff spot.  They'd be the road team in a best two of three series with the winner taking on Toronto in a three in five first round.  Even if they get into the postseason, it could be over in the span of a few days, lifeline or not.  Any extra games are ideal, of course, but it could be as few as two.

• Upvote 2

Panthers play Columbus today...good chance Tkachuk has another big game on scoresheet in a blowout

and Pens get Boston, not good combo.

1 minute ago, DON said:

Panthers play Columbus today...good chance Tkachuk has another big game on scoresheet in a blowout

Assuming he starts, we'll have to count on Bobrovsky ... in his last ten games he has been outstanding three times (0.943, 0.957, 0.969) ... ordinary twice (0.905, 0.909) ... and bad five times (0.808, 0.815, 0.833, 0.846, 0.875).

10 minutes ago, DON said:

Our only hope in Columbus is if the Panthers don’t play hard - maybe they are tired. 

This is the time for the Pens elite, aging core to push the team into the playoffs 🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Our only hope in Columbus is if the Panthers don’t play hard - maybe they are tired. 

This is the time for the Pens elite, aging core to push the team into the playoffs 🤷‍♂️

Or the Bruins deciding they’d rather play the pens over the Panthers in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Or the Bruins deciding they’d rather play the pens over the Panthers in the playoffs.

The Panthers have given the Bruins all kinds of trouble this year. I much much prefer the Panthers not make the playoffs at all (obviously) however if they are going to gain ground than today is a big day for them as both the Islander and Penguins have tough games. 

24 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

That Columbus goalie Elvis can’t spellhisname can sometimes stand on his head. Maybe tonight is that night!

Tonight won't be that night.  Michael Hutchinson is starting and they just recalled three players from the minors, two of which haven't seen any NHL action this season.

38 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Tonight won't be that night.  Michael Hutchinson is starting and they just recalled three players from the minors, two of which haven't seen any NHL action this season.

Unfortunately, that has worked for the Habs on too many occasions this season.

8 minutes ago, DON said:

Big finish.

Savard is gone, i hope they dont play Wideman much more, just so weak.

image.png

actually, playing Wideman may be the right call for the next five games :ph34r:

• Like 2

I'd love to lose all of the remaining games in regulation, but that last game against Boston is probably going to against a lineup with most of their top players being healthy scratches.

46 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

I'd love to lose all of the remaining games in regulation, but that last game against Boston is probably going to against a lineup with most of their top players being healthy scratches.

Good point. That's exactly what Florida did last year when the Habs pounded them 10-2.  Likely need another win or 2 from Arizona. 

Unfortunately the Panthers are looking good to make the playoffs now, three winnable games and then two against teams with likely nothing play for. 

Pittsburgh's schedule is not strong but they probably need 10 of 12 points, and I don't know if they're in form to pull that off.

38 minutes ago, Neech said:

Unfortunately the Panthers are looking good to make the playoffs now, three winnable games and then two against teams with likely nothing play for. 

Pittsburgh's schedule is not strong but they probably need 10 of 12 points, and I don't know if they're in form to pull that off.

Buffalos 4 pts back with two in hand... And playing Florida next... They win that game and they can do it. Also play clb, ottawa, Detroit...

• Upvote 1

• tomh009 unpinned this topic