Game #42 - Nashville at Montreal 7pm est

Yea pollls!  

13 members have voted

1. 1. What season will the Habs make the playoffs?

• 2023/2024
    • 2024/2025
    • 2025/2026
    • OH DEAR MAYBE 2030

2 minutes ago, Neech said:

I like how Carey has become the Man in Black now.

Love the ovation for Slaf. Also seeing some positives from Barron. Playing with seven D is nice if it means sitting one of our dud forwards.

Yep. Barron and Harris are both looking good offensively. 

Good back check by Caufield.  Their back checking often drives me crazy because when they're skating behind a guy with the puck and should be reaching for the guys stick they let up.   

Oh no, I hope Cole didn't get injured on that play.  

It's so unfortunate that the first star in home wins has to endure the cringeworthy on-ice Marc Denis interview. Cole seemed like his dog just died. Slaf was the only one who had fun with it, and that's cause he was brand new to the league and hadn't yet been made into a standard NHL automaton when speaking to the press (which apparently has happened to our Cole, who we know has a lot of personality and used to seem like such a boisterous and exuberant young man).

Very fun game to watch

glad no one got hurt 

Montembeault had a strong game. Solid in the third.

The forwards played great. No complaints here despite affecting the chances of finishing bottom 5

Luc Gélinas has a good list of players that stood out

Good summary,

http://www.habsworld.net/2023/01/habs-leave-it-all-on-the-ice-in-win/

although I would have given a shout out to Drouin who continues to play better. But I am probably the only one that looks for positives from the most disappointing Habs every season

Holy moly, 2 for 3 on the PP...did Markov dress?

19:13 for Evans

Will Ylonen get more than 8:21 next game? Hope so, as i heard Hoffman said he likes the view from the pressbox. 

Wideman played 8:09 too much...swap him out for Schueneman and stick with 7-d.

Xhekaj 7 hits no minor penalties.:clap:

Kovacevic had 3 shots

Harris a quiet 21:23 with 3 shots

39 saves on 42 shots, well done.

14 minutes ago, DON said:

Holy moly, 2 for 3 on the PP...did Markov dress?

19:13 for Evans

Will Ylonen get more than 8:21 next game? Hope so, as i heard Hoffman said he likes the view from the pressbox. 

Wideman played 8:09 too much...swap him out for Schueneman and stick with 7-d.

Xhekaj 7 hits no minor penalties.:clap:

Kovacevic had 3 shots

Harris a quiet 21:23 with 3 shots

39 saves on 42 shots, well done.

Harris is improving. He is smart, mobile and well positioned on the ice. I do not like that he looses board battles too often and seems to get pushed off the puck too often. He also has trouble clearing the front of the net. But he seems like an NHL D for years to come.

Xhekaj was great. I heard from Montembeault that the players did not hear PKs speech before skating out but they felt the energy in the crowd after PK's speech. I doubt Xhekaj heard PK's speech but he seemed energized by the vibe: seems like the type of player that would notch it up in the playoffs

Ylonen played well with Drouin. They both played better whan paired with Dach, Armia or Anderson than others. Ylonen's skating is so fast and smooth! I hope he finds consistency at the NHL level.

This was blacked out in my region, so I had to content myself with YouTube replays of the opening ceremony and then game highlights. PK's speech was pitch-perfect and the triple-low-five with Price at the end...chef's kiss! A nice little reminder of the fun that the joyless turds in management insisted on snuffing out, from the most awesome Habs of their era.

As for the game, to me the really good news is that Slaf has been showing real signs of life. And every time I see Suzuki make an unbelievable cross-seam pass so Caufield can blast that thing in the net, I feel like we're seeing what will become the most iconic Habs play for the next decade. Love it. 👍

That useless bums Dandonov and Drouin had good games also raises a tiny sliver of hope that they could be dumped at the deadline for some sort of return. Maybe Drouin can get on one of his hot streaks just in time for the deadline. I seriously doubt that any GM will bite, but even a 7th rounder would be better than nothing.

Outshot 20-7 in the 3rd, good on Monty to hold the fort. 

Suzuki 22:12, 0 shots (Booo) but 8 for 12 on faceoffs.

Love Ylonen's quickness  A Paul Byron type with a better shot maybe?

Slafkovski's physicality and shot blocking was noticed by the crowd, as was Xhekaj's hit parade.

Edited by DON
2nd thoughts

Arpon Basu's 2nd intermission chat about PK was less than glowing. It definitely had the tone of support for management's decision to trade him for his "off-ice behavior".

Fun game, missed the first. Caufield looked quite strong last night, overall. I think he may have practiced that left circle shot a time or two. Ha!

XG% at 5v5 last night.

Harris 77.5%

Kovacevik 73.8%

Xhekaj 28.93% worst on the team

7 hits without a minor penalty can't be the bar for having a good game.  If you are throwing lots of hits is cause your team doesn't have the puck when you are on the ice.  Not the most helpful thing in the world.

I have to strongly disagree with Luke Gelinas saying Xhekaj had a strong game but not mentioning Harris.  

And for the "watch the game not the stats" folks out there, you can check this very thread where I said Harris was having a good game before looking at these numbers. 

• tomh009 changed the title to Game #42 - Nashville at Montreal 7pm est