Summer 2023 Off-season

DON

46 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Alex Killorn winds up in Anaheim, 4 years, $6.25M per.  Didn't think he'd sign up for playing for a rebuilding team.

Didn't expect him to get that much for that long, so I guess maybe he "Jerry McGuired" it.

Drouin to Colorado apparently ... one year

Lou Lamoriello likes long-term deals, apparently...

Ilya Sorokin - 8-year extension at $8.25M (I don't mind this one)

Pierre Engvall - 7 years, $3M

Scott Mayfield - 7 years, TBD

Semyon Varlamov - 4 years, TBD (he's a 35-year-old backup)

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Alex Killorn winds up in Anaheim, 4 years, $6.25M per.  Didn't think he'd sign up for playing for a rebuilding team.

I thought he would likely go to a contender as well but when you are a 33 year old forward and are offered 25M over 4 years, it's hard to say no.  I doubt if any contender could have come close to that offer, especially for 4 years. 

If Mackinnon wanted to be reunited with Drouin so badly, we could have at least kept him. :P

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tomh009 said:

This one is done now.

Good for the kid, he will come and haunt us at some point 

5 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Good for the kid, he will come and haunt us at some point 

I love fellow Trifluvians, but he turns 27 in December ... any haunting most likely to be done at the AHL level ... if he doesn't break through to the NHL next season or the year after I could see him returning to Laval for the final few years of his pro career.

43 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

. But there is a reason he has played on 7 different teams. 

He just isnt that good.

I thought I had a decent idea of how LTIR worked, obviously I don’t fully understand it.  How is Toronto $8m over the cap, with $5m in LTIR and still have $3m usable cap space according to CapFriendly?

33 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I thought I had a decent idea of how LTIR worked, obviously I don’t fully understand it.  How is Toronto $8m over the cap, with $5m in LTIR and still have $3m usable cap space according to CapFriendly?

The way I read is that Toronto will be 3.2M over the cap after using LTIR for Muzzin so they have some work to do. They haven't signed Samsonov yet so they will likely pay someone to take Matt Murray off their hands. 

10 hours ago, DON said:

He just isnt that good.

I don't think it's a question of talent. I think he is a guy that has worn out his welcome for various reasons, not sure his defensive game is always appreciated by his coaches.  He got 72 points for the Habs one year but I don't think he was loved in the dressing room. 

15 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The way I read is that Toronto will be 3.2M over the cap after using LTIR for Muzzin so they have some work to do. They haven't signed Samsonov yet so they will likely pay someone to take Matt Murray off their hands. 

Murray is less than 4.7 on their cap. 

seeing as Samsonov is going to cost more than 1.5 million, that isn't enough. 

Obviously Murray will be one move, but there has to be a second (at least) as well. 

53 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

They have negative 3.2 million. 

The way the line breaks work the "-" is on the line above on the capfriendly page. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

For the moment they are OK as teams can be 10% over the cap in the off-season ... only have to cap compliant to play their first game.

38 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't think it's a question of talent. I think he is a guy that has worn out his welcome for various reasons, not sure his defensive game is always appreciated by his coaches.  He got 72 points for the Habs one year but I don't think he was loved in the dressing room. 

That 72 point season was a true outlier ... almost 40% above his next best.

Domi had decent production in Chicago last season (18goals/60games) but only had 2g in 20gms after being traded to Dallas (8/82 pace) ... same story as the previous year when he scored 2 in 19 after being traded to Carolina (although he had been no better with CBJ) ... so it may not be a question of talent but it is a question of production.