Summer 2023 Off-season

DON

1 hour ago, DON said:

Way-too-early predictions for the NHL 2023-24 season: Stanley Cup winner, dark horse, playoff field, awards, more - The Athletic

Some dont think Habs will contend next year (Zero votes for making playoffs also).:D

image.png

***IF*** correct, 7.5% chance at #1 pick ... in a non-generational player year, just like 2022.

19 minutes ago, DON said:

instead of 28th, i expect some improvement this season and am guessing will have no realistic chance at #1 

Agree. I expect us to be in the mix for a playoff spot for much of the season, although I strongly doubt that we’ll actually make it over the line. 

20 minutes ago, DON said:

Seems like a very fair assessment. I found the concluding statement to be a bit out of sync with what preceded it, though - disproportionately negative compared to what went before.

56 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Agree. I expect us to be in the mix for a playoff spot for much of the season, although I strongly doubt that we’ll actually make it over the line. 

I can’t see that unless there is a huge drop of in the Metro. For us not to finish last in that Atlantic would be a surprise and we’d really need to have a lot of kids exceeding expectations. Boston would also have to lose both Bergeron and Krejci without getting any one to to fill their loss.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

For us not to finish last in that Atlantic would be a surprise and we’d really need to have a lot of kids exceeding expectations.

Not having an injury-riddled team would make a big difference already.

Anyway, the regular-season prediction contest will come soon enough, and we can all cast our own predictions.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Not having an injury-riddled team would make a big difference already.

Anyway, the regular-season prediction contest will come soon enough, and we can all cast our own predictions.

I do tend to be an optimist about such things, but I’d imagine a 15-point improvement is within reach if we stay healthy. Think an extra three or four wins from internal improvement and an extra three or four from not being injury-decimated. Seems reasonable? That would put us well under the playoff bar at 83 points, but close enough to be part of the ‘bubble team’ pack for a goodly chunk of the season (depending on how the wins cluster, of course). 

Wow, this sounds crazy: 

Slaf has been training all summer with mostly remote help of a Czech trainer that is using fairly new highly sophisticated scientific techniques.  The trainer says that he discovered Slaf had numerous previously unknown metabolic deficiencies and the biggest was his respiratory system.  The trainer is helping with "economy of movement" and claims that Slaf has increased his lung capacity by 20% - which is an insane amount.

The trainer also has Slaf working on Neuro Tracking where you focus on numerous things at the same time.  ex:  think the puck, your linemates, and the defenders.  Slaf has been wearing Terminator looking sun glasses that help with judging distances and increasing response times.

How big of a difference will all this fancy technology make?  Who knows, but it sounds like it could be huge.

Article:  https://www.tvasports.ca/2023/07/13/juraj-slafkovsky-transforme-par-la-science

22 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Wow, this sounds crazy: 

Slaf has been training all summer with mostly remote help of a Czech trainer that is using fairly new highly sophisticated scientific techniques.  The trainer says that he discovered Slaf had numerous previously unknown metabolic deficiencies and the biggest was his respiratory system.  The trainer is helping with "economy of movement" and claims that Slaf has increased his lung capacity by 20% - which is an insane amount.

The trainer also has Slaf working on Neuro Tracking where you focus on numerous things at the same time.  ex:  think the puck, your linemates, and the defenders.  Slaf has been wearing Terminator looking sun glasses that help with judging distances and increasing response times.

How big of a difference will all this fancy technology make?  Who knows, but it sounds like it could be huge.

Article:  https://www.tvasports.ca/2023/07/13/juraj-slafkovsky-transforme-par-la-science

This stuff makes my leary - you don't hear about other stars engaging in this quackery. It seems like Slaf has deficits that could be addressed with more conventional coaching. But we'll see the results on the ice. At least he seems like a hard worker.

9 hours ago, Neech said:

This stuff makes my leary - you don't hear about other stars engaging in this quackery. It seems like Slaf has deficits that could be addressed with more conventional coaching. But we'll see the results on the ice. At least he seems like a hard worker.

There was a time when nutrition and weight training were considered "quackery".

6 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating, let’s see how he looks in the training camp.

He wont have opponents trying to take his head off, when he has his head down or is admiring a pass in training camp.

That was his biggest flaw, self preservation (similar to Guhle).

33 minutes ago, DON said:

He wont have opponents trying to take his head off, when he has his head down or is admiring a pass in training camp.

That was his biggest flaw, self preservation (similar to Guhle).

agree on his biggest flaw, also maturity

11 hours ago, Neech said:

I'd also consider that this is the craziness of Montreal... and it's mid July and here we all are. Obsessed with Les Glorieux and the state of last years #1 or Reinbacher or the Newhook deal.... sh*t even Galchenyuk is a hot topic and he's been gone for years now

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I'd also consider that this is the craziness of Montreal... and it's mid July and here we all are. Obsessed with Les Glorieux and the state of last years #1 or Reinbacher or the Newhook deal.... sh*t even Galchenyuk is a hot topic and he's been gone for years now

more like "a topic" than anything even near lukewarm

9 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

more like "a topic" than anything even near lukewarm

Maybe a "tepid topic".

• Upvote 1

On 7/18/2023 at 10:26 PM, Neech said:

Well, there is the funny thing about all leading cutting edge research: only 1 person is doing it until it becomes proven that it works and then others start doing it too.

Besides, there are other athletes using Neuro tracking:

image.png

Did anyone else see the Leafs player doing his pregame warmup in the playoffs? I believe it was ROR.  His teammates were laughing at him when they'd see him juggling balls against a wall.  Well, juggling grows your brain - all athletes should learn how to juggle.  That neuro tracking effectively accomplishes the same.  

Plus, there is also a level of secrecy involved - you wouldn't publicly tell all your secrets about what you are working on so others could steal your ideas and then take credit for your work.  

8 minutes ago, DON said:

I guess still in need of top pairing RH-d and depth.

Canadiens: Age-Specific Right-Shot Defensemen To Target Via Trade (awinninghabit.com)

Of the three players listed in there, only one might (and I mean might) actually have a shot at being available.  Philly isn't moving Attard, they're probably going to want to see if he can develop with them first.  The Kings just moved out two righties, giving Spence a legitimate chance to break camp with them next season.  That leaves Boqvist who would be costing a pretty sizable amount to get in a trade and isn't remotely in the same category as the other two other than the fact he's not particularly good in his own end.