2023 draft, Pick 5: David Reinbacher

tomh009

5 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

If he doesn’t sign an ELC within 2 years, Philadelphia loses his rights.  At that point he would be put back in the draft as he would only be 20.  If by chance he isn’t put back in the draft he becomes a UFA.

I’m not sure if there’s some specific rule that may negate this if he’s signed in the KHL though.

The two-year rule more or less only applies for CHL-drafted players.  (A few international ones as well if they're drafted at 20 but mostly, CHL guys.)  International picks usually get four years as long as their country has signed a transfer agreement with the NHL.  Those that don't - like Russia - can hold their rights indefinitely. 

Michkov has three years left on his deal - if a drafting team could have only secured his rights for two years, he might have gone undrafted this time around.

This is not an attempt to justify the Canadiens picking Reinbacher. It is an attempt to have them justify it. I don’t know if they made the right call, but no one will for at least two years, likely three. If it were me, I would have taken Ryan Leonard at No. 5, and I believe the Canadiens were quite high on him as well. Everyone has a right to their own opinions, but no one can say the Canadiens did not have a fully informed opinion. Every European scout the Canadiens employ — Christer Rockström, Hannu Laine, Tommy Lehman and Michal Krupa — saw him play multiple times, Bobrov said. Martin Lapointe and Bobrov saw him live multiple times. American scouts Billy Ryan and Albie O’Connell saw him play multiple times. Even goalie scout Vincent Riendeau saw him multiple times.

https://theathletic.com/4669733/2023/07/06/canadiens-draft-david-reinbacher-scouting-nick-bobrov/?source=weeklyemail&campaign=602288

• 2 weeks later...

good take on "David 😶 "

I have pitched the idea of managing the roster as am investment portfolio, and in that view I could not agree more on having a mix of "growth potential" and "value" in the prospect pool.

https://www.habsworld.net/2023/07/reflecting-on-the-reinbacher-pick/

Oh no, Reinbacher apparently has Osgood–Schlatter disease and in both of his knees.  That condition is similar to arthritis and it could go away, but it is possible that it gets worse and becomes permanent.  It usually happens to youths when they experience growth spurts, but it can last into adulthood.  

15 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Oh no, Reinbacher apparently has Osgood–Schlatter disease and in both of his knees.  That condition is similar to arthritis and it could go away, but it is possible that it gets worse and becomes permanent.  It usually happens to youths when they experience growth spurts, but it can last into adulthood.  

It seems like there's a 90% chance that it won't effect his career, but it is a little concerning. I wonder how much this would have changed his draft stock if this information was available earlier.

10 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

First, that’s terrible news for the kid on a human level. Hopefully it does indeed go away.

If it doesn’t and ends up affecting him in hockey terms, it’s also all too typical of the Habs’ luck in the post Serge Savard era.

10 hours ago, Neech said:

I wonder how much this would have changed his draft stock if this information was available earlier.

It wasnt?

I would assume the Swiss staff knew he had sore knee(s), would they keep that secret to NHL clubs?

11 hours ago, Neech said:

It seems like there's a 90% chance that it won't effect his career, but it is a little concerning. I wonder how much this would have changed his draft stock if this information was available earlier.

Well I had Osgood Schlatter disease in my early teens and I ended up never playing in the NHL so it looks like a pretty bad sign to me.

Maybe treatment is better now.

5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

We seem to be in rumour territory here https://euro.dayfr.com/sports/amp/546211

DEEP into wild rumour territory ... from your link (for those too lazy to click)

TVA Sports, Nicolas Cloutier, managed to join the staff of Kloten, the club in which evolves the hope of the Canadian.

According to them, the rumors would therefore be false:

“I spoke with his trainer in Switzerland, who has him in contact with Doctor de Kloten, who has been following Reinbacher for him all year. It wasn’t just ‘no’, it was a definite ‘no’ of ‘no, it’s absolutely not la maladie d’Osgood-Schlatter]”

They seem to be denying that he has it, so that is good news.

14 hours ago, Peter Puck said:

Well I had Osgood Schlatter disease in my early teens and I ended up never playing in the NHL so it looks like a pretty bad sign to me.

Maybe treatment is better now.

Sorry to hear you had it.  How bad was it?  Since I heard that news I've read numerous comments from other people that had it and 1 described it as being similar to having a funny bone on their knee.  ex: you bang your knee or fall on it the wrong way and it hurts for a while but after a while it goes away.  Most people that mentioned they had it said it wasn't really that big of a deal and it went away for all of them.   Maybe there is different levels or severity of it.   

13 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

They seem to be denying that he has it, so that is good news.

Sorry to hear you had it.  How bad was it?  Since I heard that news I've read numerous comments from other people that had it and 1 described it as being similar to having a funny bone on their knee.  ex: you bang your knee or fall on it the wrong way and it hurts for a while but after a while it goes away.  Most people that mentioned they had it said it wasn't really that big of a deal and it went away for all of them.   Maybe there is different levels or severity of it.   

It wasn't that big of a deal.  There was mild chronic pain in my knee for a few months.  Then I had to quit sports for a 6 month period (causing me to be cut from a soccer team).  After that I was fine.

Is he more like a RH Guhle?

Good skater, good size, good defending, OK puck skills, but wont ever be putting up 60-70+points/season.

David Reinbacher’s ability to get the puck back should one day help the Canadiens - The Athletic

"Going through this exercise revealed just how many tools Reinbacher has to become a quality NHL defenceman, one that can be a difference-maker in many different areas, just not necessarily the one that involves actually putting the puck in the net."

22 hours ago, DON said:

Is he more like a RH Guhle?

Good skater, good size, good defending, OK puck skills, but wont ever be putting up 60-70+points/season.

David Reinbacher’s ability to get the puck back should one day help the Canadiens - The Athletic

"Going through this exercise revealed just how many tools Reinbacher has to become a quality NHL defenceman, one that can be a difference-maker in many different areas, just not necessarily the one that involves actually putting the puck in the net."

I hope so. That would be good for Hutson, or Harris if he starts scoring.

Like one of Guhle-Mailloux or Guhle-Barron may be good pair in the future.

27 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Harris has never been a big scorer.  Hes a smart defender and can move the puck through the neutral zone but hes not going to be a scorer.  He will always be underrated like Kulak was 

The problem is, then, that he's like a camel passing through the eye of a needle when it comes to becoming a legit top-4 defender. Small D-man, sometimes overwhelmed down low, can skate and move the puck but not directly generate offence. I see the value in a guy like that. But it's hard to imagine a player of that profile being a top-4 defender on a contending club. If this is right, then Harris's ceiling is basically as a #5 on a strong team, though he may do honourable service in the top-4 as we transition. Or am I missing something?

5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

If this is right, then Harris's ceiling is basically as a #5 on a strong team, though he may do honourable service in the top-4 as we transition. Or am I missing something?

But if our bottom pairing is as good as other teams' second pairing, I see that as a big plus.

At the moment, though, we have a lot of D prospects--more than I remember having in a very long time--and it's not clear yet where they will fit, and who will be moved. I expect Hughes doesn't know yet, either, but maybe he will after this season.

5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The problem is, then, that he's like a camel passing through the eye of a needle when it comes to becoming a legit top-4 defender. Small D-man, sometimes overwhelmed down low, can skate and move the puck but not directly generate offence. I see the value in a guy like that. But it's hard to imagine a player of that profile being a top-4 defender on a contending club. If this is right, then Harris's ceiling is basically as a #5 on a strong team, though he may do honourable service in the top-4 as we transition. Or am I missing something?

Harris is 5'11 and 189 pounds

Here are recent cup winners who played at or over 20 minutes a night on cup winners. 

I haven't included anyone who was on their team's number 1 PP. 
I also have only gone to cup winners.... if we want to go strong team and include finalists or final four teams, I'm sure I can add more. 

Samuel Girard was a top 4 Defenceman on a cup winner.... 5'10", 

Vince Dunn on St. Louis

Dmitry Orlov in Washington

Trevor Daley is 5'11" won two cups in Pittsburgh playing over 20 minutes a game both years.

Johnny Oduya in Chicago.... 6'0" 191 lbs

Dennis Seidenberg 6'0 199

slava voynov 6'0 194 on those kings teams

Thats the last decade. I'm not going back any farther. 

Being a 4 or a 5, he can do that and be a part of a cup winner. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Harris is 5'11 and 189 pounds

Here are recent cup winners who played at or over 20 minutes a night on cup winners. 

I haven't included anyone who was on their team's number 1 PP. 
I also have only gone to cup winners.... if we want to go strong team and include finalists or final four teams, I'm sure I can add more. 

Samuel Girard was a top 4 Defenceman on a cup winner.... 5'10", 

Vince Dunn on St. Louis

Dmitry Orlov in Washington

Trevor Daley is 5'11" won two cups in Pittsburgh playing over 20 minutes a game both years.

Johnny Oduya in Chicago.... 6'0" 191 lbs

Dennis Seidenberg 6'0 199

slava voynov 6'0 194 on those kings teams

Thats the last decade. I'm not going back any farther. 

Being a 4 or a 5, he can do that and be a part of a cup winner. 

The question is , do we have room for Harris and Hutson, if Hutson doesn’t isn’t a top pairing dman? Not one that needs to be answered now, but maybe a question on another couple of years.

26 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

The question is , do we have room for Harris and Hutson, if Hutson doesn’t isn’t a top pairing dman? Not one that needs to be answered now, but maybe a question on another couple of years.

Colorado had Toews and Girard and won a cup.  LA had Doughty, Chicago had Keith.  Apitt had Letang. I didnt include these guys as i didnt include guys who are top PP QBs but none are huge defencemen.

If Hutson makes it (and i think he will), he will be that premium offensive weapon.

Bottom line though

If 5 of your defencemen come from the following group

Matheson, Guhle, Reinbacher, Mailloux, Xhekaj, Barron, Kovacevic

all of whom are 6'2 and bigger.... you aren't going to have a size issue if you have two of

Hutson (5'9), Harris (5'11) and Engstrom (6'0) on the squad too. 

You can have 5 guys 6'2 and bigger and 2 guys 6'0 or smaller in a 7 man unit. (and that's with 3 of these players no longer around either through trade or through just not making it). 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

that is my read on Harris too. I prefer wifi better as a #5.

11 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

yes. There is time to make those evaluations. I just hope that all prospects get lots of playing time so that the evaluations are based on in-game play

At this juncture, we should be just delighted that we have such a mass of legit prospects and young players on the blueline. It’s an embarrassment of riches. I don’t know which, if any of them, will become elite - Guhle, Reinbacher, and Hutson seem to be the best bets - but it seems clear we are going to have a deep back end with guys who have a nice mix of skill sets.

The keys, of course, will be making the right managerial decisions about which players to keep, and how to use them. On the latter, I think we can be reasonably confident that MSL - unlike many coaches - will play to guys’ strengths and not try to bang square pegs into round holes. As for the wider question of knowing who to keep and who to move, remember when Gainey let both Ron Hainsey and Francois Beauchemin (!!) go for nothing on waivers? Let’s not have a repeat, LOL.