2023 Development Camp

GHT120

• Upvote 1

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/montreal-canadiens-announce-development-camp-roster-schedule/

"The camp will have several guest coaches Max Bohlin (Rogle BK - Sweden), Andrew Antsanen (First Nations), Philippe Roy (Shawinigan Cataractes - QMJHL), Geoff Grimwood and Rylan Ferster (Victoria Grizzlies - BCHL) as well as Evan Dickson and Kirk MacDonald (Dubuque Fighting Saints - USHL)."

On 7/1/2023 at 10:31 AM, DON said:

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/montreal-canadiens-announce-development-camp-roster-schedule/

"The camp will have several guest coaches Max Bohlin (Rogle BK - Sweden), Andrew Antsanen (First Nations), Philippe Roy (Shawinigan Cataractes - QMJHL), Geoff Grimwood and Rylan Ferster (Victoria Grizzlies - BCHL) as well as Evan Dickson and Kirk MacDonald (Dubuque Fighting Saints - USHL)."

what a great idea!

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

what a great idea!

That does seem brilliant. Since we are condemned to French/bilingual coaches, the Habs should have as intricate an understanding as possible of the Quebecois coaching ecosystem. Good thinking by HuGo 👍

18 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That does seem brilliant. Since we are condemned to French/bilingual coaches, the Habs should have as intricate an understanding as possible of the Quebecois coaching ecosystem. Good thinking by HuGo 👍

Only one of those coaches is out of Quebec though.  I dont know if the others are bilingual though.

28 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Only one of those coaches is out of Quebec though.  I dont know if the others are bilingual though.

Oops. Silly me. I guess that’s true.

I am intrigued by the guy from Sweden in particular. I’ve always had a feeling - not sure how rational it is - that the Habs should be more open to coaches and managers from Europe, because they’re more likely to be bilingual and match Montreal’s more ‘European’ vibe.

That's notable, one more youngster for Laval next season.  They're going to be a really young team as things look right now.  (That could change with some more experienced signings of guys on AHL deals.)

Rohrer is actually 161 to 173, not the other way around but the rest are accurate.

Some great interviews. Always enjoy listening to Owen Beck as he is such a thoughtful articulate young man. David Reinbacher seems like such a humble, mature and decent young guy. Lane Hutson is very well spoken as well.  Terrific young men and easy to cheer for. 

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

That's notable, one more youngster for Laval next season.  They're going to be a really young team as things look right now.  (That could change with some more experienced signings of guys on AHL deals.)

Rohrer is actually 161 to 173, not the other way around but the rest are accurate.

Hutson needs to add some muscle 

46 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Hutson needs to add some muscle 

He has at least one more year at Boston University ... more time-for/focus-on off-ice training than in junior.

3 hours ago, DON said:

Interviews

All very well spoken young men.

18 minutes ago, DON said:

Stu Cowen;

"Hey Lane Hutson answer me this, do you get tired of answering questions about your size?"

Stu .... Stu .... Stu

xx1gFvpobfEz8oZKsQ0EpbcwBeLYkEhkY=

Both McCagg and Marinaro say Mailloux stood out as by far the most NHL-ready prospect, mentioning his great size, speed, puck-handling and physicality. 

Engstrom also receives high praise.

Marinaro is a radio talking-head and dont think anyone considers him knowledgeable about hockey, would they? 

Sure Mailloux has good aspects (skating, shot, big), but he is a d-man so he needs to be able to defend and that is his big weakness.

Some say defense is easy to teach...but try and tell Sheldon Souray, MAB or Chris Wideman that.

Not sure who here feels he 'should' be in the Habs lineup this Oct, but likley small % are expecting that. I hope he plays a full season in the AHL, improves and does great there.

Engstrom seems a solid 2 way d-man and he says he knows physicality is what he needs to work on, which seems about right, from reports anyways.

Struble is the opposite and physicality is his calling card (from what i have read anyways), rest of game not so great.

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/montreal-canadiens/prospects/focus-on-struble-roy-dobes-engstrom-on-day-3-of-habs-development-camp

3 hours ago, DON said:

Marinaro is a radio talking-head and dont think anyone considers him knowledgeable about hockey, would they? 

Sure Mailloux has good aspects (skating, shot, big), but he is a d-man so he needs to be able to defend and that is his big weakness.

Some say defense is easy to teach...but try and tell Sheldon Souray, MAB or Chris Wideman that.

Not sure who here feels he 'should' be in the Habs lineup this Oct, but likley small % are expecting that. I hope he plays a full season in the AHL, improves and does great there.

Engstrom seems a solid 2 way d-man and he says he knows physicality is what he needs to work on, which seems about right, from reports anyways.

Struble is the opposite and physicality is his calling card (from what i have read anyways), rest of game not so great.

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/montreal-canadiens/prospects/focus-on-struble-roy-dobes-engstrom-on-day-3-of-habs-development-camp

Marino is a podcast talking head ... left TSN690 to join BPM91.9Sports with Jean-Charles Lavoie ... didn't last long ... seems to have a few decent contacts but I-M-O his hockey knowledge trails far behind anyone on TSN690 and most of the frequent posters on this site ...

his massive and undeserved EGO demands that he try to place himself "in the picture" for these interviews ... so I would take any opinion he offers with so many grains of salt that your blood pressure will be a serious problem.

12 hours ago, DON said:

interviews

Once. again ... well spoken young men ... this seems to be a pattern.

27 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Marino is a podcast talking head ... left TSN690 to join BPM91.9Sports with Jean-Charles Lavoie ... didn't last long ... seems to have a few decent contacts but I-M-O his hockey knowledge trails far behind anyone on TSN690 and most of the frequent posters on this site ...

his massive and undeserved EGO demands that he try to place himself "in the picture" for these interviews ... so I would take any opinion he offers with so many grains of salt that your blood pressure will be a serious problem.

I disagree... hes had alot of people on his new podcast including big guns like Gorton Hughes and countless contributors... to dismiss his personal opinion outright completely would be wrong as well

The fact he and McCagg both saying Mailloux is most NhL ready at development camp should be considered.

Is there someone else who you would consider more NHL ready and actually seen them at camp?

1 minute ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I disagree... hes had alot of people on his new podcast including big guns like Gorton Hughes and countless contributors... to dismiss his personal opinion outright completely would be wrong as well

The fact he and McCagg both saying Mailloux is most NhL ready at development camp should be considered.

Is there someone else who you would consider more NHL ready and actually seen them at camp?

Tony?

Kidding ... I hope.

That people go on his podcast is not (IMO) a measure of his hockey knowledge ... it just means he is successful at drawing viewers and thus good PR for the Habs and others ... and "most ready", if correct, hardly translates to any good chance of making the team.