Hoffman gone, Petry and Casey DeSmith and picks in.

Meller93

A look at Petry's possession numbers (from Dobberhockey. The orange bubble suggests he did drop off a bit given that he wasn't facing particularly hard competition & that he had a mix of offensive and defensive zone starts. Still, given his status as a RHD who is still producing some offence, I could see Petry fetching something decent on the market. 

If he's with the Habs in the fall, I suspect MSL will give him enough opportunity to look enticing and get a nice return

image.png

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

If Cap friendly is right, Petry is a better offensive option than any of the available  UFA RDs. I say he is traded before the season starts:

image.png

31pts in 61 gms last year wasnt horrible.

But, am guessing also with still no announcement from the Habs on Welcome Back Jeffery!, Petry must be gone before opening day.

4 minutes ago, DON said:

But, am guessing also with still no announcement from the Habs on Welcome Back Jeffery!, Petry must be gone before opening day.

That is a perceptive observation, my friend. Usually Habs social media is prompt with stuff like that. 

It all depends on the return, but personally I like the idea of Petry giving some breathing room to our prospects at RD. Trading him closer to the deadline would be my play as GM (unless he really doesn’t want to be here).

24 minutes ago, DON said:

Nothing for DeSmith, either, just the thank-you posts for Hoffman and Pitlick.

Several folks noted lack of Habs press on Petryi didnt think of it.

So which eastern team isnt on his no trade list and could use a cheap RH depth in for a pick? Bruins, Rangers?

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That is a perceptive observation, my friend. Usually Habs social media is prompt with stuff like that. 

I wonder if it has something to do with giving Petry some time to absorb the trade before Hughes discusses with Jeff his the future, if any, with the Habs.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Nothing for DeSmith, either, just the thank-you posts for Hoffman and Pitlick.

Suspect it may just be pending Petry (i.e., what does he want to do, do they want to do with him) ...  they can't welcome DeSmith and not also welcome Petry.

54 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Suspect it may just be pending Petry (i.e., what does he want to do, do they want to do with him) ...  they can't welcome DeSmith and not also welcome Petry.

They need to clear  5.1mil in cap space before the start of the season. Flipping them both would help. So I really don't see Petry or DeSmith on the opening day roster unless Armia or/and Dvorak gets moved. Or Allan and Petry get moved and we keep Desmith. Then that would put us under the cap. 

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

They need to clear  5.1mil in cap space before the start of the season. Flipping them both would help. So I really don't see Petry or DeSmith on the opening day roster unless Armia or/and Dvorak gets moved. Or Allan and Petry get moved and we keep Desmith. Then that would put us under the cap. 

That is to not have to LTIR Price ... which I hope they will not have to do.

But HuGo seems to be all about maximizing return ... ***if*** Petry is OK with returning to Montreal (we saw what happened when he wasn't) and there aren't great offers on the table then I expect Petry to start the season in Montreal ... whether he even makes it to the trade deadline is another matter (i.e., Hughes tends to make deals once he is offered the value he has in mind).

Allen or De-Sith will undoubtedly be gone ... frankly I don't care which.

I would imagine another question that would need to be answered prior to a Petry trade is if they believe Barron is ready for the NHL full time.  I don’t mean it would keep Petry in Montreal, but might change what could be targeted in a return.  Maybe a veteran RD that Petry is an upgrade over.

I'm still marvelling at this trade. We dumped a bunch of deadwood for a decent pick, and a decent player who could fetch another decent pick (or more). We basically got value out of thin air and cleared up much needed space at forward, jettisoning a useless bum (Hoffman) in the process. 

9 minutes ago, Neech said:

I'm still marvelling at this trade. We dumped a bunch of deadwood for a decent pick, and a decent player who could fetch another decent pick (or more). We basically got value out of thin air and cleared up much needed space at forward, jettisoning a useless bum (Hoffman) in the process. 

I like the trade too but we got the 2nd round pick basically to take on the 2nd year of Petry's contract. If he only had 1 year left then it would be a much better deal but you have to pay to gain cap space and that's what Pittsburgh did. I can only imagine what Montreal would have to give up to get rid of Gallagher's contract. 

If Petry plays well in Montreal than his value will go up and it could turn out to be a great trade.  I like the fact the 2nd round pick is 2025 as I heard an analyst say the 2025 draft will be much better than 2024 but it's really too early to say that I think. 

18 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I like the trade too but we got the 2nd round pick basically to take on the 2nd year of Petry's contract. If he only had 1 year left then it would be a much better deal but you have to pay to gain cap space and that's what Pittsburgh did. I can only imagine what Montreal would have to give up to get rid of Gallagher's contract. 

If Petry plays well in Montreal than his value will go up and it could turn out to be a great trade.  I like the fact the 2nd round pick is 2025 as I heard an analyst say the 2025 draft will be much better than 2024 but it's really too early to say that I think. 

It helps that RD is a position of need, and if we have to keep Petry he'll be useful for us. I guess the deal will look worse if he's still on the cap next year and we're having trouble unloading him.

8 minutes ago, Neech said:

It helps that RD is a position of need, and if we have to keep Petry he'll be useful for us. I guess the deal will look worse if he's still on the cap next year and we're having trouble unloading him.

Agreed, it takes a little less pressure off the young defensemen. I think he will be easier to unload next year. 

If you retain 50% on Petry, I dont think hes that hard to move now.  

Even with his disappointing year in Pittsburgh, he was worth more than 2.34 million.  And the acquiring team will be hoping its a one year blip and he bounces back.

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

Even with his disappointing year in Pittsburgh, he was worth more than 2.34 million.  And the acquiring team will be hoping it’s a one year blip and he bounces back.

I expect Petry is quite valued at 2.34 around the league. 

Two years for a second pair RD that still put up some points in Pittsburg for 2.34 a season is frigging great. 

I think Petry is gone soon but if not then pair him with Xhekaj and I bet he rebounds. 

46 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Even with his disappointing year in Pittsburgh, he was worth more than 2.34 million.  And the acquiring team will be hoping its a one year blip and he bounces back.

I agree, retaining 50% makes him a lot easier to move.  It depends whether Hughes minds having 2.34 million in dead cap space for a couple years. It might be better just to play him for a while and hopefully his value increases. 

43 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I think Petry is gone soon but if not then pair him with Xhekaj and I bet he rebounds. 

I have a feeling Petry starts the year in Montreal but Hughes seems to be a busy guy, he might have something up his sleeve. I agree with Arber as a partner, think they would be a great fit. One guy to move the puck and the other to look after the physical stuff. 

I like that the discussion here has shifted a bit toward the scenario that sees Petry actually playing games for us for a while. He can be a valuable buffer for our RD prospects, giving them breathing space to develop properly rather than being thrown into the deep end before they’re ready. 

I’ll admit, though, that such an approach seems out of character for HuGo. Their development approach seems to be “what the hell, throw the kid into the NHL.” So, while I kind of hope Petry spends most of the season with us (trading him closer to the deadline would probably increase his market value to boot), I’m doubtful that it will happen.

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

What would be likely return, another 2nd?

9 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

If Petry dresses, am guessing Matheson-Guhle-Harris will be the starting 3 LH; and Xhekaj would be best to get PP time in Laval...till injuries happen with Habs.

1 hour ago, DON said:

If Petry dresses, am guessing Matheson-Guhle-Harris will be the starting 3 LH; and Xhekaj would be best to get PP time in Laval...till injuries happen with Habs.

I think you could get a 2nd and a 3rd... or 2nd and prospect.

If he starts the season with Montral and plays well he might be worth a 1st.

A top 4 D fo less than 2.5 million and another year of that, should be valuable

1 hour ago, DON said:

Makes sense 

I was considering that Petry played best when paired with Edmundson and Xhekaj can fill that role. 

Someone is getting traded or Barron and Xhekaj starting in Laval?

Matheson

Ghule

Harris

Xhekaj

Barron

Petry

Savard

Kovasevic

Wideman 

Injuries will happen but we aren’t going to carry 9 Dmen on the roster. 

57 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Makes sense 

I was considering that Petry played best when paired with Edmundson and Xhekaj can fill that role. 

Someone is getting traded or Barron and Xhekaj starting in Laval?

Matheson

Ghule

Harris

Xhekaj

Barron

Petry

Savard

Kovasevic

Wideman 

Injuries will happen but we aren’t going to carry 9 Dmen on the roster. 

We don’t have to worry about waivers for Xhekaj, but wouldn’t Barron have to go through waivers now? I thought he was too old to be exempt? Isn’t this his 4th pro season?

14 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I see Ghule with Petry

Mattheson with Savard

Harris with Barron

Kovacevic as the 7th Dman. 

Wideman to Laval. 

Not sure with Xhekaj, but they could keep 8.

I would take Xhekaj  full time over Petry all day long. Team plays bigger with him in the lineup.  Last year you saw the difference when he was in the lineup we won games and players played better. Without him we lost more games and the team didn't have that same effect.

Right now their is a log jam at d especially if  Reinbacher makes the team.

Guhle 

Reinbacher 

Harris 

Barron 

Kovacevic 

Savard 

Matheson 

Xhekaj 

Petry 

Wideman 

That's 10 D I agree Wideman will play in Lavel. Question mark will be how well Reinbacher plays in preseason and training camp.  But let's say he start's in Lavel too , it still leaves us with 8 D. With the youth movement and rebuild I just don't see how you play Petry over Xhekaj.