Habs Pre-season 2023-2024

alfredoh2009

Regarding some of the cap talk, having done some number crunching, I think we're going to see a 'split the difference' situation.  Montreal won't go with Price on offseason LTIR but rather Dvorak.  That means the target to get to is $4.45M above the cap which would only take a couple of AHL assignments to get to.  Price could then go on in-season LTIR from there.  That will mean they won't have to waive any veterans which I think is what management's preference will be.

As for tonight's game, Ottawa just recalled six guys from the minors so it won't be their full 'A' lineup for this one.  Or as it turns out, anywhere close to it.

Imama and MacEwen in there tells me they think it's going to be a chippy one.

19 minutes ago, DON said:

Caufield offense?

I say 35g.

I did guess a correct 26 last season; but, hope crystal ball way off this season, he fills the net and gets 50, being the 1st Hab since 1989-90 to do that.

Fantasy Focus: Cole Caufield – HabsWorld.net

I think he’s a special talent and will, if he stays healthy, and provided Suze also stays healthy and therefore keeps feeding him the puck with those brilliant cross-seam passes, crack 40. 50 is not out of the question. Maybe I’m too optimistic. It’s hard to know because as Habs fans, we are completely unused to seeing elite offensive talent come up from within the system, so we have little experience of it.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Imama and MacEwen in there tells me they think it's going to be a chippy one.

I like Steve Warne (despite him being a Sens fan) but the "one last chance to impress" characterization of the Sens lineup is either political level spin-doctoring or an admission that the Sens are looking for a couple of goons.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I think he’s a special talent and will, if he stays healthy, and provided Suze also stays healthy and therefore keeps feeding him the puck with those brilliant cross-seam passes, crack 40. 50 is not out of the question. Maybe I’m too optimistic. It’s hard to know because as Habs fans, we are completely unused to seeing elite offensive talent come up from within the system, so we have little experience of it.

Yeah in recent times Pacioretty is the closest but without looking it up, he probably averaged 30 per season with almost 40 once. 

Caufield I believe will be a 40 goal guy that tops out at 50. Much will depend on how terrible our PP will be. 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Yeah in recent times Pacioretty is the closest but without looking it up, he probably averaged 30 per season with almost 40 once. 

Caufield I believe will be a 40 goal guy that tops out at 50. Much will depend on how terrible our PP will be. 

And if any/how many of our D prospects turn out to be elite offensively. Need a quarterbacks on the backend, and not just a playmaking centre to get to 50.

46 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

And if any/how many of our D prospects turn out to be elite offensively. Need a quarterbacks on the backend, and not just a playmaking centre to get to 50.

This is a great point and it’s absolutely true. 

I think HuGo realize this because we are a team of puck moving Dmen to support the rush but we also have Matheson, Mailloux and I’m going to add Xhekaj to that list of PP quarterback options - not sure Guhle fits that bill. 

I’m happy with the Dmen that we have in our system and who knows what Reinbacker will bring on top of it all. 

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

You are so right.

That said, CC was on something like a 46-goal pace before going down last season. So he did OK without that PP QB.

Guhle is obviously the best bet among the current crop to become this QB; maybe Reinbacher, eventually.

43 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

You are so right.

That said, CC was on something like a 46-goal pace before going down last season. So he did OK without that PP QB.

Guhle is obviously the best bet among the current crop to become this QB; maybe Reinbacher, eventually.

Matheson if healthy will be the QB for now.  

For future I don't think its either Guhle or Reinbacher, they are all around types, there is some offence there but its of the good, not great variety....  the future QB PP will be a competition though, Lane Hutson, Mailloux, Engstrom, Bogdan, seem to be the early candidates. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

You are so right.

Agreed that he was on a great pace. But it’s a LONG season. I remember that one year Laine was on a 70 or so goal pace and than barely was over 30. To actually get to 50, you have to have multiple guys setting you up. If you don’t teams adjust.

im hoping that the Suzuki-Caufield will get a regular third wheel that is a serious scoring threat. That will also create more room for Caufield if their is more than one option on that line.

im starving for some habs to get to 50 goals and 100 points- its been far too long!

Not a great period for Norlinder and Xhekaj.  Norlinder was soft on an in-zone play that eventually led to Ottawa's goal (he whiffed in coverage a second time on the play before it went in) and Xhekaj deciding to go way out of position in transition on a two-on-two led to the breakaway.  That's a major fundamental mistake that he should know by now not to do. 

44 minutes ago, DON said:

How has Heineman looked?

He laid out MacEwan with a decent hit ... MacEwan went to the dressing room with a shoulder/elbow(?_) problem

47 minutes ago, DON said:

How has Heineman looked?

I think he's helping his cause.  He had the good hit mentioned above but there's some pace to his game.  Having said that, if he can't crack the top 12, he's probably better off going to Laval so that might work against him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DON said:

Armia! dumb penalty and what are they gonna do with him?

Nothing.  He's going to be a regular this year in the bottom six just like usual.

Another tough night for Montembeault.  Preseason goaltending performances aren't predictive of anything but none of him, Allen, or Primeau impressed in the six games.

45 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Nothing.  He's going to be a regular this year in the bottom six just like usual.

Will help in the Celebrini race i suppose.

Harris seemed to have a tough game.

Newhook is quick.

1 hour ago, Plutarch said:

Those goalie stats are pretty wild.

Yeah, but as another goalie once said, "it's the preseason. Chill."

I enjoyed the HW 10 Thoughts. One question - Jake Evans is good on the draw. Does that help him in terms of securing a roster spot on this C-heavy squad, or does Monahan's excellence make him redundant (at least until Monahan gets hurt)?

I also agree, Slick Nick should shoot more. Teams already fear his wrister from the circle, and emphasizing that would have the ironic side-effect of making Caufield even more dangerous because other teams would be terrified of "playing the pass."

How many more cuts do they have?

Ten thoughts: Habs close out the preseason with a win over the Sens – HabsWorld.net

"Really, Suzuki needs to shoot more, even if there happens to be a player named Caufield on the ice with him."

Canadiens Takeaways: Slafkovsky adapting, Suzuki hot in the dot, Xhekaj tearing twine (sportsnet.ca)

"With a goal and an assist in Saturday’s game, Nick Suzuki finished the pre-season with seven points in four contests.

It didn’t seem to matter that there was a revolving cast of wingers on his right side, as four different ones auditioned for the role; Suzuki was able to dominate just the same."

Bottom Six Minutes: Mattias Norlinder makes the team? - Habs Eyes on the Prize

14 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Agree, Armia is on the team until somebody is stupid enough to trade for him ... my expectation is that he will be bottom 3 regular, with occasional shifts up to fill-in for various reasons ... my unrealistic hope is that he EARNS regular 3rd-line minutes, with occasional top 6 and PP time ... allowing Hughes, at some point, to move him for a similar AAV expiring contract, or MAYBE an expiring worse contract and a pick/prospect if LTIR cap-space makes it possible.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... Jake Evans is good on the draw. Does that help him in terms of securing a roster spot on this C-heavy squad, or does Monahan's excellence make him redundant (at least until Monahan gets hurt)?

Neither Monahan or Newhook are playing 4C ... Evans is the 4C (*) and the top 3 centres are Suzuki and 2 of 3 from amongst Dach, Monahan and Newhook, with the other going to Top 6 wing.

* - Once Dvorak returns I expect the "start the season" 3C moves to the wing and they hope Dvorak can play well enough to trade.