2023-24 NHL discussion thread

tomh009

It seems like there is more to this story than what we have heard so far.  It isn't entirely alcohol related, although he was drinking at the time.  That Player Assistance Program route won't save him.  

George Laraque claims that he knows exactly what happened as do all media personnel do but none can say because they could be sued.   A Boston reporter made a comment that what happened is similar to the Celtics coach who made derogatory comments along with an inappropriate relationship with a woman.   i.e. Perry might have been cheating on his wife but nobody can say it.  That info adds up and up until now other than the false rumour regarding Bedard's mom Perry's comments of wanting to be with his family and asking for privacy didn't have an explanation.     

Surprisingly, Laraque claims that every NHL team would have terminated Perry and from what we've heard so far it doesn't seem like enough for all teams to dump him.  However,  if Perry was abusing his vet status and me2'ing a young woman staffer that would definitely be enough.

If that is true once Perry is terminated the NHL will either not allow him back or they will force him to enter a program similar to what Mailloux had to do.  Due to his age, depending on what he did he's probably done playing and possibly coaching plus he might be banned from the HOF too.  

40 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

It seems like there is more to this story than what we have heard so far. 

Obviously ... we have actually heard nothing ... only vague rumours of what "insiders" claim to know ... as you say, they have to be cautious ... either to avoid being sued or to protect sources who could be breaching employment confidentiality requirements by releasing details.

42 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

i.e. Perry might have been cheating on his wife but nobody can say it. 

Infidelity is not sufficient cause to terminate a contract ... so EVEN if he was it is at most tangential to his termination.

"I would like to sincerely apologize to the entire Chicago Blackhawks organization, including ownership, management, coaches, trainers, employees, and my teammates. I would also like to apologize to my fans, and my family. I am embarrassed and I have let you all down,” Perry wrote.

“As a result of my actions, there has been speculation and rumours. I am sickened by the impact this has had on others, and I want to make it clear that in no way did this situation involve any of my teammates or their families. Most importantly, I want to directly apologize to those who have been negatively affected and I am sorry for the additional impact to others it has created. My behaviour was inappropriate and wrong.

“I have started working with experts in the mental health and substance abuse fields to discuss my struggles with alcohol and I will take whatever steps necessary to ensure this never happens again.  I hope to regain the trust and respect of everyone who has believed in me throughout my career.

“Once again, I am deeply sorry."

Corey Perry's official statement published by TSN.

Seems pretty clear whatever the incident was, it was alcohol was definitely a factor.

The TSN post referenced above by TurdBurglar

Good for Corey ... taking responsibility and burying the ridiculous rumours started by Internat <bleeps>.

Interestingly, the Blackhawks have yet to acknowledge it on their Twitter account.

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I also take what Laraque says with a huge grain of salt.  He's been caught pushing false rumours before and isn't exactly a credible source. 

Agreed ... he seems to LOVE having his name "out there".

20 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Infidelity is not sufficient cause to terminate a contract ... so EVEN if he was it is at most tangential to his termination.

Umm, just be clear are you actually suggesting that a 20 year vet that's a Cup winner and future HOF can abuse their position of power over a young influential female staffer and exploit and coerce her into giving him sexual favours and that would be fully ok and not a reason to terminate because he is married?  

22 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Umm, just be clear are you actually suggesting that a 20 year vet that's a Cup winner and future HOF can abuse their position of power over a young influential female staffer and exploit and coerce her into giving him sexual favours and that would be fully ok and not a reason to terminate because he is married?  

Ummm you are adding a whole lot of details that are no where to be found in any of the reports you cite. 

If true this would change things, but there is nothing to suggest that this is the case at this point in time.  There is no point in spreading these types of rumours without some sort of credible report. You'd think that lesson would have been learned after many people dragged Mrs. Bedard's name through the mud and made posts on twitter that spread a rumour that could jeopardize her marriage. 

What you are suggesting would also classify as sexual assault or statuatory rape, and since everyone involved has said that what Perry has done is not a criminal matter, it seems that your assumptions here are out to lunch. 

22 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

That, ***if*** it happened, is HUGELY different from infidelity ... nice try though ... I think/hope you know the difference.

1 minute ago, TurdBurglar said:

He's not a member of their organization anymore, so there's no reason for them to acknowledge it.

Other than it ALL having to do with their organization ... but I can understand them wanting to sweep it under the rug and have nothing more to do with it.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I despise Laraque's "insider" junk, he is still riding the coattails of his brief stint as a Hab.

2 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Is it just me or does anybody else think that the Canucks got Zadorov at a pretty cheap price? I know Calgary didn't have to retain any salary but still seems cheap.  A great pick up for the Canucks. 

That he publicly asked for a trade must also have been a factor ... but you would think Conroy would/could/should have gone to the team(s) with the next best offer(s) and said "can you beat a 2026 3rd and Chicago's 2024 5th* with no salary retained?" ... maybe they couldn't/wouldn't.

* - virtually a 4th

Zadorov has had one outlier season where he put up any kind of offensive numbers, otherwise he's just a big guy who isn't particularly good at handling the puck or starting the transition.  He's really not much more than a Ben Chiarot type, a 4/5 defenceman who seems to get overrated by GMs.

More GMs are recognizing this and not paying the Chiarot price for these players. 

Another factor is that his salary isn't something a lot of teams can fit in under the cap.  The Canucks did this a day after dumping Beauvillier's 4million contract on Chicago, so they were one of the few teams to be able to fit him in without Calgary having to retain or take money back. 

This had to be the best offer for him, Calgary who started really slow is now back in the playoff chase and the Canucks are ahead of them in the standings and their second biggest rival after Edmonton, so they likely didn't give them any discount. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Zadorov has had one outlier season where he put up any kind of offensive numbers, otherwise he's just a big guy who isn't particularly good at handling the puck or starting the transition.  He's really not much more than a Ben Chiarot type, a 4/5 defenceman who seems to get overrated by GMs.

More GMs are recognizing this and not paying the Chiarot price for these players. 

Another factor is that his salary isn't something a lot of teams can fit in under the cap.  The Canucks did this a day after dumping Beauvillier's 4million contract on Chicago, so they were one of the few teams to be able to fit him in without Calgary having to retain or take money back. 

This had to be the best offer for him, Calgary who started really slow is now back in the playoff chase and the Canucks are ahead of them in the standings and their second biggest rival after Edmonton, so they likely didn't give them any discount. 

Only yesterday I was listening to Canucks media debating whether management would sit on the cap space acquired by the Beauvillier salary dump, or act quickly to spend it. Lo and behold.

5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Laraque is a jackass.

5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

The TSN post referenced above by TurdBurglar

Good for Corey ... taking responsibility and burying the ridiculous rumours started by Internat <bleeps>.

Interestingly, the Blackhawks have yet to acknowledge it on their Twitter account.

That makes two key veteran Habs from the 2021 run who have subsequently admitted serious substance abuse issues. I don’t know what to make of that, but…it’s interesting.

8 hours ago, DON said:

Poor Sabres, will they ever be a good team.

image.png

I don't want to resurrect the old tank/no tank debate, but Buffalo shows that tanking is not a panacea, while LA shows you can rebuild as a contender without tanking. Just saying.

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don't want to resurrect the old tank/no tank debate, but Buffalo shows that tanking is not a panacea, while LA shows you can rebuild as a contender without tanking. Just saying.

No matter which route you go you need good management, good scouting and good player development. 

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Except forthe fact La also tanked

Edited by Commandant

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

No matter which route you go you need good management, good scouting and good player development. 

Yes, and luck helps too. You can develop all the great kids you want, but if, for example, they keep suffering catastrophic injuries it won't make a lick of difference.

5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Did they? They hardly have any top-5 picks in recent years

5th, 2nd, 8th overall picks in 2019, 2020, 2021.

They also added extra picks and prospects in those years by trading away vets.

Some bad years had to happen for them to build one of the best prospect systems in the NHL.

What they have proven is that you can miss on those picks and still be good via depth as Turcotte (5th) looks like a bust, and Byfield (2nd) looks like a third liner now and maybe a 2nd liner one day.  The only star they got out of the picks looks to be Brandt Clarke.

But the success is still do in part to tanking cause the extra picks and prospects have created hits and a deep roster.  That comes from trading away many productive vets.