2023-24 NHL discussion thread

tomh009

2 hours ago, DON said:

Come on Leafs, empty the tank! You got picks left.

image.png

I hope they trade this year’s first round pick too. Leafs will be in trouble in a few years. Their prospect depth is poor and they don’t have and haven’t had many picks for a while. 

3 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

They could offer a 1st from another year or one of their top prospects.  And if that guaranteed winning a cup I am sure they would do it in a heartbeat. But a GM also has to think about the future and the Leafs have traded away so many picks that I don't blame Treliving for being a little cautious. 

No trade EVER guarantees a championship; by that logic there would never be any deadline deals.

Being 2nd best GF/Gm and 20th in GA/Gm this season, and going into the playoffs with a WEAK defence corps and mediocre goaltending isn't likely a winning formula.

I have to wonder how long a GM who has never won a Cup, and a Team President who has made the second round once in 9 full seasons, can survive on "the future".

TBH I kind of respect the Leafs' determination to break through with this core. I mean, they DO have a frigging powerhouse crop of FWs and they do finish consistently top-5 to top-10. No doubt they see themselves very much like Yzerman's Wings were before they finally won: a strong team that kept falling short in the playoffs but eventually got there. The longer this goes on, though, the likelier it becomes that they are the 2020s version of Joe Thornton's San Jose Sharks, i.e., an elite team that never makes it.

43 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

No doubt they see themselves very much like Yzerman's Wings were before they finally won: a strong team that kept falling short in the playoffs but eventually got there. 

95/96 Wings had Konstantinov, Fetisov, Lidstrom and Coffey as its D core ... 96/97 lost Coffey but had the rest ... 2000/01 had Fischer, Duchesne,  Chelios and Lidstrom ... don't see that level of defence core on the Leafs.

15 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Those trades can really come back to bite you. The Leafs gave up a 1st and a 4th for Nick Foligno 3 years ago.  How did that turn out?  Foligno played a total of 7 regular season games and 4 playoff games amassing a total of ZERO goals and 5 assists. I almost felt bad for the Leafs. Almost. 

While I wait for tye Canadiens to become relevant again I take solace in watching the Leafs find new creative ways to blow up like the Hindenburg. 

I would never, ever feel sorry for that franchise or their fan base. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Helmethead said:

I would never, ever feel sorry for that franchise or their fan base. 

Neither would I, that was said a little tongue in cheek. Heaven forbid we ever have to deal with the leaf fan base if they ever win a cup. That would be simply awful. I might have to move somewhere where they don't care about hockey. 

53 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

8 years x $11.6 million AAV for Elias Pettersson

Done deal, Suzuki is going to put up more points next season than Petersson and Suzuki is also going to maintain EXCELLENT defensive play too - all for much less $

More points than Petersson is a little optimistic BUT if Nick can score 75-80 pts/year and we know he plays both ends of the ice then his contract of 7.8M/year is excellent value. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

More points than Petersson is a little optimistic BUT if Nick can score 75-80 pts/year and we know he plays both ends of the ice then his contract of 7.8M/year is excellent value. 

The contract is fair value for an elite, franchise #1C. 

I’m happy for Vancouver, really. This is one traumatized fan base (although also a fairly stupid one, on the whole) and, while I’ve ranted and raved against them over the years, I sort of feel they’ve suffered enough.  And as a hockey fan, I love the troika of Pettersson, Hughes, and Demko - splendid players, each of them.

As for Suzuki, he is not going to outscore Pettersson, who is a true, star offensive talent of the sort the Habs have not had since Guy Lafleur. (Not that he is as good as Lafleur!). But yes, with his rise to PPG production and elite two-way acumen, Suzuki will be the franchise cornerstone for the next 6-7 years and a defining player of the rebuild. Hopefully the Habs can do for him what they never did for Koivu, i.e, put him in a legitimate position to win the Stanley Cup. 

• Like 1

Suzuki has improved every year and Suzuki improves despite not having quality wingers. 

2024/2025 will be the first season that Suzuki has two legitimate wingers in Caufield and Slafkovsky for an entire season. Unless Marty insists on destroying that line with Anderson again. 

Suzuki is going to hit 80 something points this season and that is with playing with Anderson for too many games. 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Suzuki has improved every year and Suzuki improves despite not having quality wingers. 

2024/2025 will be the first season that Suzuki has two legitimate wingers in Caufield and Slafkovsky for an entire season. Unless Marty insists on destroying that line with Anderson again. 

Suzuki is going to hit 80 something points this season and that is with playing with Anderson for too many games. 

We may also need one of Caufield/Slafkovsky to play with Dach.

I'm not 100% sure it's valid to point to Slick Nick's linemates. He's played a lot with CC and a lot with Slaf. Those are quality linemates. Besides, has Pettersson benefitted from stupendous linemates every single night? His linemates over the last two, 100-point seasons have included names such as Hoglaander, Conor Garland, and Ilya Podkolzin (now in the minors). Not to slag Suzuki, just to say that I don't think this excuse holds too much water.

44 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm not 100% sure it's valid to point to Slick Nick's linemates. He's played a lot with CC and a lot with Slaf. Those are quality linemates. Besides, has Pettersson benefitted from stupendous linemates every single night? His linemates over the last two, 100-point seasons have included names such as Hoglaander, Conor Garland, and Ilya Podkolzin (now in the minors). Not to slag Suzuki, just to say that I don't think this excuse holds too much water.

Agreed ... Suzuki is becoming an elite two-way 1C ... but Pettersson is an ELITE offensive 1C. 

woaw, what a wasted career

Extended and appointed GM of the Laval Rocket

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Extended and appointed GM of the Laval Rocket

who was the Laval Rocket GM before his appointment.

Someone was surely working the phones to help the farm time, right ? 😮

11 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

who was the Laval Rocket GM before his appointment.

Someone was surely working the phones to help the farm time, right ? 😮

I think Hughes in title although I'm pretty sure Sedgwick had a pretty good hand in things down there.  This felt more like formalizing a lot of what was already in place unofficially.  Looks better on paper if/when he looks to go after a GM job of his own as that's what's probably next.

13 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Would have loved the Habs to do the  Walker deal for Johansen + 1st.

Who do we have equivalent to Walker?

17 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Who do we have equivalent to Walker?

Nothing straight up, but since it's  Walker + 5th  for  Johansen + 1st,  maybe the Avs would have settled for  Savard + 3rd/late 2nd  instead. 

But I guess, they'd probably be more interested in the dman they get than the value in the pick along with him. 

Walker is much more of a puck moving defenceman than Savard, he's also UFA this summer and the salary cleared for next year is entirely free, while Savard would be on their books next season. 

I am very surprised Tampa is taking 25% of Henrique's cap hit for a 4th round pick. I thought Tampa would be a buyer but maybe not as they are using up cap space for nothing that will help them this year. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I am very surprised Tampa is taking 25% of Henrique's cap hit for a 4th round pick. I thought Tampa would be a buyer but maybe not as they are using up cap space for nothing that will help them this year. 

With Sergachev on LTIR, TBL still has $5,927,083 in cap space ... more than enough for David Savard ... :devil: