2023-24 NHL discussion thread

tomh009

It's hard to believe after their recent struggles but the Flyers could still make the playoffs if the following happens. 

1) Montreal beats Detroit in regulation in 1 of their 2 remaining games

2) Pittsburgh loses one of their remaining 2 games in regulation

3) Philly beats Washington in regulation. 

Good on MAF

• Upvote 1

An interesting point from "32" Thoughts: A note on every playoff series and award vote:

39. Time to update the Nov. 1 stat. Avid readers know that I keep track of who is more than four points out of a playoff position after games on that date. This year, one of those teams (Edmonton) recovered, while Calgary, Pittsburgh and San Jose missed. In 82-game seasons during the salary-cap era, 10 of 70 teams in that hole made the playoffs. Can’t start poorly, kids. 

Something to keep in mind going forward.

Didn't see this coming ... but he was the last coach (14 seasons ago) to get them to the playoffs. 

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Didn't see this coming ... but he was the last coach (14 seasons ago) to get them to the playoffs. 

I had to double check the source because I thought this is impossible but there it is. 

Didn't see that coming 

40 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Maybe hiring former coaches of the same team will become a new trend. I wonder what Therrien is up to??

I hope Dominique Ducharme isn't holding his breath.

MSL is now 7th in NHL-HC seniority

11 minutes ago, Helmethead said:

By Wednesday at noon I reckon. 

It wouldn't shock me if the Leafs come up with a big effort tomorrow night and force game 6 (I am assuming that's the team you are referring to).  They seem to play better when no one expects them to and are more relaxed on the road. 

59 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It wouldn't shock me if the Leafs come up with a big effort tomorrow night and force game 6 (I am assuming that's the team you are referring to).  They seem to play better when no one expects them to and are more relaxed on the road. 

I can see this scenario but I can also see a world where Toronto comes out hot with lots of chances but Boston rolls down the ice and scores. 

Leafs give up and fold - waiting for the inevitable coaching change. 

I expect Boston is coming to play, they were outstanding last game. 

13 hours ago, dlbalr said:

There's a good chance he'll be sixth soon enough.

$64K Question for TO may be whether Treliving gets to fire Keefe or does Pelley can Shanahan first and put everything/one else on hold pending the hiring of a new President.

I always remember Game 7 of the first round in 2021. Going into that game, I had a lot of trepidation - surely the Leafs’ firepower would come out blasting and they’d bring everything they had. 

Instead they were limp noodles who had already given up. Defeated by the Trident and Carey Price.

There seems to be something fundamentally wrong with this core, between the ears.

Hopefully Boston puts ‘em out of their misery and we can stop worrying about a Leafs Miracle Run for another year.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

$64K Question for TO may be whether Treliving gets to fire Keefe or does Pelley can Shanahan first and put everything/one else on hold pending the hiring of a new President.

Very much a possibility.  I could also see a clean house scenario where all three go.

21 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Very much a possibility.  I could also see a clean house scenario where all three go.

All this talk about a total house cleaning in Toronto is bad karma. It almost guarantees a Leaf victory tonight. I will wait for another Bruin victory before I say too much.