2023-24 Montreal Canadiens Discussion Thread

GHT120

13 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Umm, ROY, cough, cough, choke!

Roy was likely the worst ... but Gomez was entirely voluntary, by an experienced NHL GM ... the Roy trade was made by an almost "virgin" GM with a gun to his head.

Is bound to get one.

Maybe he needs to fight... kidding. 4th line for a game or three?

Analysis: The Josh Anderson dilemma - EOTP (habseyesontheprize.com)

"Despite their 9-10-2 record, the Habs are actually playing better hockey at five-on-five than last year. Looking at both underlying statistics and actual goals for and against, the Canadiens could actually be a potential playoff bubble team — when Anderson is off the ice."

image.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DON said:

I love that Pollock piece for its historical memory 👍 Great job there!

• Like 1

A story on clickbait site Hockey30 today reminded me that Monahan had a US$15,000 bonus put in his new contract if he plays 26 games, bringing the total up to US$2 million.

He is mired in a 7-game pointless and 12-game goal-less stretch ... some, here and elsewhere, have wondered if he is again playing through an injury ... while $15K is a pittance compared to his $1.985M base salary (less than 1%), the "ego" aspect that got it included in his contract *** might *** be driving him ... hopefully not ... but if he doesn't tell anyone about a nagging injury, even a medical/training staff with a new mandate could do little about it.

These stats don’t look very good!!!

Stu Cowan @StuCowan1

If #Habs end up getting shut out tonight it will be 23 games without a goal for Josh Anderson, 22 games without a goal for Jake Evans, 18 games for Tanner Pearson, 13 games for Sean Monahan, 11 games for Christian Dvorak and nine games for Brendan Gallagher.

#HabslO

9 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Stu Cowan @StuCowan1

If #Habs end up getting shut out tonight it will be 23 games without a goal for Josh Anderson, 22 games without a goal for Jake Evans, 18 games for Tanner Pearson, 13 games for Sean Monahan, 11 games for Christian Dvorak and nine games for Brendan Gallagher.

#HabslO

#veteranleadership

16 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

#veteranleadership

Didn’t MB say one of the reasons he got Weber was that the impact of his leadership would be felt years after he was gone🙄

5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

A story on clickbait site Hockey30 today reminded me that Monahan had a US$15,000 bonus put in his new contract if he plays 26 games, bringing the total up to US$2 million.

He is mired in a 7-game pointless and 12-game goal-less stretch ... some, here and elsewhere, have wondered if he is again playing through an injury ... while $15K is a pittance compared to his $1.985M base salary (less than 1%), the "ego" aspect that got it included in his contract *** might *** be driving him ... hopefully not ... but if he doesn't tell anyone about a nagging injury, even a medical/training staff with a new mandate could do little about it.

I don't think pushing himself to earn a $15K bonus at the risk of affecting his next contract is driving him here.  He's been off for a long time when you consider how long he was out at the end of the year.  I think fatigue is part of the issue here.

7 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

3.15 average salary 

image.png

Ok! Trusting it’s the right call. Best thing to me is perhaps the 3 goalie rotation is nearing an end. It’s easier to let Primeau walk with Monty & Allen signed for next year.  

12 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Stu Cowan @StuCowan1

#HabslO

I really think the loss of Dach (I know I have said it before) really messed things up offensively. I think everything was lining up with Dach as the #2 center. Hopefully they can get an offensive dynamo in the next draft. 

6 minutes ago, revvvrob said:

Ok! Trusting it’s the right call. Best thing to me is perhaps the 3 goalie rotation is nearing an end. It’s easier to let Primeau walk with Monty & Allen signed for next year.  

Agreed, I think it's a reasonable deal and I have little doubt Monty would have got at least that had he gone the UFA route. 

I highly doubt they are signing him today, to trade him in the near future.  An immediate trade would kill a lot of the goodwill HuGo have with player agents.

This is just saying that in 2 or 3 years if the Habs have another goalie option, they can trade him.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

I highly doubt they are signing him today, to trade him in the near future.  An immediate trade would kill a lot of the goodwill HuGo have with player agents.

This is just saying that in 2 or 3 years if the Habs have another goalie option, they can trade him.

The ONLY way it ***could possibly*** work is if it was discussed during the contract negotiations ... But I highly doubt it was or that a trade will happen.

An indirect impact of the Montembeault extension is that it ***MIGHT*** change Allen's interest in being traded ... He has a 7-team NTC (becomes a 3-team next July 1st) and I recall previously seeing reports that Hughes had assured Allen he has no intention to trade him ... but knowing that Montembeault is now clearly the Habs' near-term #1, Allen may be open to a deal and at least consider waiving his NTC if a deal emerges with those 7 teams and to releasing Hughes from his "assurance".

No predictions on what a deal might be.

25 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

An indirect impact of the Montembeault extension is that it ***MIGHT*** change Allen's interest in being traded ... He has a 7-team NTC (becomes a 3-team next July 1st) and I recall previously seeing reports that Hughes had assured Allen he has no intention to trade him ... but knowing that Montembeault is now clearly the Habs' near-term #1, Allen may be open to a deal and at least consider waiving his NTC if a deal emerges with those 7 teams and to releasing Hughes from his "assurance".

No predictions on what a deal might be.

I don't think Monty's extension will change anything from Allen's perspective as he has never really been the #1 here. He started as a back up to Price and never really established himself as a #1 after, had some good stretches and certainly a very good #2 and a great team guy. I think it will be way easier to trade Allen next year because of his contract BUT they can't carry 3 goalies forever either. Someone has to go. 

If we believe this post, that 15 out of 20 goals allowed by Primeau this season were on his glove side, then it is easy to deduce that Allen is not being traded and that the coaching staff has lots of work to do

Canadiens Recall Mitchell Stephens (prohockeyrumors.com)

"Stephens is the highest-scoring player among the likely call-up options for the Canadiens at this stage. Team points leader Joshua Roy, selected 150th overall in 2021, is still just 20 years old. The Canadiens likely want to keep Roy with Laval to aid in his development. Second-leading scorer Brandon Gignac is not signed to an NHL contract, while Sean Farrell, who’s tied with Stephens in points, is out indefinitely with an injury sustained this week."

Tonight’s lines seem to be new ideas. 

I like Marty a lot and think he is perfect for a young team but his lines stink. He’s like a gambler trying to win back his money by losing even more money. 

Anderson in Slafkovsky’s spot stinks. Slafkovsky has been great. Stop trying to get Anderson going. 

image.png

24 minutes ago, DON said:

Alex Newhook out 10-12 weeks with a high ankle sprain - Habs Eyes on the Prize

I suppose it will provide an opening for Ylonen or some other young'ish' winger.

Like I said:

Newhook was a Habs young player starting to put it together. 

Therefore, he was destined to suffer a very serious injury.

QED