2023-24 Montreal Canadiens Discussion Thread

GHT120

8 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Friedman tweeting that Lindstrom is on waivers. 

Freeing up a roster spot for a big trade no doubt (hoping so anyway). 

Probably tired of having 8 d and 12 fwds.

Want to be 7 and 13.

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

If he clears, it would improve the rocket.

just for that reason I am happy; also, it is unfair for him not to be playing to keep the hope of continuing being a professional hockey player 

6 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

If by a big trade you mean Harvey-Pinard trades the comfy confines of the press box while on injured reserve for the sights and sounds from the bench, you might get your wish.  Pretty sure this is to open up a roster spot for his activation while keeping Heineman up for a few more days until Pearson returns.

54 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

If by a big trade you mean Harvey-Pinard trades the comfy confines of the press box while on injured reserve for the sights and sounds from the bench, you might get your wish.  Pretty sure this is to open up a roster spot for his activation while keeping Heineman up for a few more days until Pearson returns.

You are certainly correct. 

I'm itching to get the trades started and knowing trades likely won’t happen until the deadline makes me itchier every day. 

7 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

You are certainly correct. 

I'm itching to get the trades started and knowing trades likely won’t happen until the deadline makes me itchier every day. 

I hear you, I think Hughes is a very patient guy waiting for the right deal to come along. It's always fun to speculate about trades. 

At least won all games when leading in 3rd period, i guess.

"The Habs seem to play their best hockey with a one-goal lead, which is quite frustrating, knowing what happens when they get the second, or third. When up by two goal, they are expected to allow 66.1% more goals than league average, and score 31.1% less. It gets even worse when the lead is three or more, where they should expect a whopping 81.5% more goals against compared to league average, while scoring 54.4% less. When they’re up two, they stop playing, but when they get to three or more, they leave the building."

The Montreal Canadiens need to learn how to play with a lead - Habs Eyes on the Prize

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DON said:

At least won all games when leading in 3rd period, i guess.

"The Habs seem to play their best hockey with a one-goal lead, which is quite frustrating, knowing what happens when they get the second, or third. When up by two goal, they are expected to allow 66.1% more goals than league average, and score 31.1% less. It gets even worse when the lead is three or more, where they should expect a whopping 81.5% more goals against compared to league average, while scoring 54.4% less. When they’re up two, they stop playing, but when they get to three or more, they leave the building."

The Montreal Canadiens need to learn how to play with a lead - Habs Eyes on the Prize

Very strange stats! 

Why is this happening? Surely it doesn’t come down to the Habs stop playing when they have a two goal lead. 

We saw a three goal lead evaporate the other day and we’ve seen it all season long. 

Seems bizarre to me 

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

Suzuki is a legit #1c

He won’t win the Selke this year, but these kind of numbers should start to establish his rep as something other than a “pretty good” C who is over-hyped because he plays in Montreal, which is, I believe, how many people think of Slick Nick.

He’s taken a step forward this season, it seems. Which is great, because we need him to be elite or near-elite if the rebuild is ever to succeed.

on less D sitting in the press box eating hot dogs for the Habs:

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

He won’t win the Selke this year, but these kind of numbers should start to establish his rep as something other than a “pretty good” C who is over-hyped because he plays in Montreal, which is, I believe, how many people think of Slick Nick.

He’s taken a step forward this season, it seems. Which is great, because we need him to be elite or near-elite if the rebuild is ever to succeed.

No he wont this season but his defence is improving, as is his offence.  70 point guy with Selke level defence is a #1 guy.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

He had no NHL future, i'm glad he isn't taking up a spot from one of our Laval D

... and I think we are now down to 45 contracts, right?

Wonder why it seemed Hughes didnt want to waive him? He surely didnt have a future as a Hab and they dont need a depth guy, do they.

57 minutes ago, DON said:

Wonder why it seemed Hughes didnt want to waive him? He surely didnt have a future as a Hab and they dont need a depth guy, do they.

I don't think Hughes likes giving players away with nothing in return ...

1 hour ago, DON said:

There was no reason to waive him until RHP needed the roster spot.  Why do it before you have to? More injuries could happen.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

There was no reason to waive him until RHP needed the roster spot.  Why do it before you have to? More injuries could happen.

He didn’t have to waive him yesterday either but I think he saw the opening on Anaheim’s roster with the drysdale trade. 

Wouldn’t hold it past him. 

Just now, BCHabnut said:

Does ylonen have another gear? I'd like to see him play with some good offensive players for a while. Whenever he gets the puck I see skill.

I agree he should be moved up the lineup at least to try it. 

Habs record last 5 years;

63-80 at home.

62-102 on road.

I guess bit better record at home, but still seems poor (even with crappy seasons).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DON said:

Habs record last 5 years;

63-80 at home.

62-102 on road.

I guess bit better record at home, but still seems poor (even with crappy seasons).

I'm confused.

How have we played 21 more road games?