2023-24 Montreal Canadiens Discussion Thread

GHT120

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Amongst fans and media ... not likely amongst most NHL general managers.

Guy is fairly young, mobile for his size, good shot AND 6'4" 240lbs with anger issues... makes GMs drool.:devil:

27 minutes ago, DON said:

Guy is fairly young, mobile for his size, good shot AND 6'4" 240lbs with anger issues... makes GMs drool.:devil:

I wasn't saying that he is not a very interesting prospect ... just that the added hype value (i.e., his fighting) doesn't influence GMs the way it does fans and media, I-M-O.

15 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I wasn't saying that he is not a very interesting prospect ... just that the added hype value (i.e., his fighting) doesn't influence GMs the way it does fans and media, I-M-O.

He has alot of hype not only for fighting.

I think there is a big risk he will never have as high value in a trade as now. Doesnt meant we have to trade him though.

2 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

I think there is a big risk he will never have as high value in a trade as now. Doesnt meant we have to trade him though.

Yeah, if he pans out to be just a bottom pairing plug then we'll have missed out on a decent return. I'd rather bet on him though. It would be awful to see him thrive somewhere else.

5 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

Hence, a very interesting prospect

6 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

I think there is a big risk he will never have as high value in a trade as now.

Agree ... that is the nature of ALL prospects who have yet to either succeed or fail.

6 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

Doesnt meant we have to trade him though.

Also agree ... THAT is why HuGo get paid what they get paid, to make those tough decisions ... AND ... ultimately to be accountable for those decisions.

2 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

Agree.

8 hours ago, DON said:

Which NHL first lines have been the best and worst in the 2023-24 season? - The Athletic

"The Canadiens’ first line was surrendering 3.27 goals against per hour when we did this exercise last season but has shaved that down to just 2.26 this year."

I would be curious if the turnaround happened when Slafkovsky joined that line. 

Slafkovsky transition game and forecheck is strong 

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I would be curious if the turnaround happened when Slafkovsky joined that line. 

Slafkovsky transition game and forecheck is strong 

Salfkovsky has helped but Suzuki has also played at close to Selke levels (he wont get votes but thats where he is playing).  Caufield has also improved in his own end to where hes not a huge liability 

I think author noted 14-22 being better defensively this year, but their offense still put them in like 27th place of 1st lines.

Baby steps.

The Athletic ranked the top NHL waiver claims since the start of the 2021 season. Montembeault ranked second (behind only Connor Ingram), and Kovacevic sixth.

Three goalies in the eleven selections (Wedgewood was the third, at eighth) showing that goalies are hard to figure out even after they have played some NHL games.

• Like 2

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/canadiens-slafkovsky-guhle-part-of-group-committed-to-accelerated-development/

Good to see the boys are still putting in extra work, in another lost season, playoff wise

“I’ve always wanted to get better,” Slafkovsky said on Thursday. “But seeing my game improve and feeling the change has made me want to do even more.”

Odd ball question;

Who is a better skater; Matheson or Guhle?

Sometimes i see Guhle really stand out, while Matheson obviously more confident/experienced and carries the puck more end to end a lot more, at present.

I am not sure?

3 hours ago, DON said:

Odd ball question;

Who is a better skater; Matheson or Guhle?

Sometimes i see Guhle really stand out, while Matheson obviously more confident/experienced and carries the puck more end to end a lot more, at present.

I am not sure?

Commandant is the best evaluator of skating, he can tell for sure. IMHO it is Matheson, he seems to be more quick although both seems to be as mobile.

Guhle has really improved his skating since being drafted and its a plus for him.

Matheson was probably the best skater on the team for most of the season, however he has been overtaken but not by Guhle.

The best skater on the team right now? Brandon Gignac.  He can fly.  

• Upvote 1

OK thanks Ben, did seem like Guhle's mobility or quickness was better.

And seemed to of learned to keep head up or to not put himself in vulnerable spots as much, avoiding taking big hits.

Slafkovski (and Bedard) both got smoked with head down, reaching for a loose puck this year, but hope another learning for him.

Slafkovski still seems to be playing smarter all over the ice, being big and strong helps (like when Tom Wilson laid good lick on him vs Caps). Starting to remind me of his Olympic/World Championship pre-draft highlights/hype, leaning on opponents along boards and using his size to protect puck.

1st line stood out in Jan;

HW 3 Stars: January 2024 – HabsWorld.net

53 minutes ago, DON said:

I'm not a huge Todd fan, but he makes a good point here regarding the Slaf pick. I was worried that HuGo were outsmarting themselves by not making the obvious choice, but it seems they were crazy like a fox. Slaf's progression this year has been impressive.

The conventional choice would have been the favourite, Shane Wright. Going outside the box earned Hughes and the Canadiens a death stare from the immature Wright — but Slafkovský’s week-to-week improvement this season has him leading his entire draft class in games played with 89, in goals with 13 and in points with 32.

Today Wright, who dropped to fourth in the draft, is tied for 43rd in the AHL in scoring with 32 points and tied for 12th in goals with 18.

There are others, from the 2022 draft like Logan Cooley, Cutter Gauthier (who has already blown up on the Flyers without playing in the NHL) and Conor Geekie. We’ll take Slafkovský, thank you very much.

Sending Anderson to Laval, simply aint an option and would never happen this year i assume? Or healthy scratched to start maybe in order?

1 hour ago, DON said:

Sending Anderson to Laval, simply aint an option and would never happen this year i assume? Or healthy scratched to start maybe in order?

It's hard to healthy scratch a forward right now; with three goalies, the most forwards they can have up at any time is 13.  (And with Gallagher being suspended, they only are at 12.)  Can't see the Habs going the waiver route with him though.