2023-24 Montreal Canadiens Discussion Thread

GHT120

20 hours ago, DON said:

"...and as coach Martin St. Louis said after Sunday’s practice at the Bell Centre, “You can’t help but stop from time to time and say, ‘Imagine if we had Kirby?’”

How Dach, Canadiens are keeping injury from becoming wasted development opportunity (sportsnet.ca)

It’s a natural question, and MSL’s approach of bringing him into the coaches’ pre-scout meetings is absolutely brilliant. It exemplifies how he is different from the normal NHL coach (always concerned with maintaining their authority and position, more boss than mentor) - and how well-suited he is to the Gen Z culture. It also shows how willing he is to think outside the box.

That being said, I fret a bit about the way Habs fans (and even those affiliated with the team) tend to act as though Dach is a proven key contributor. While he is, without question, structurally important to the rebuild, it remains an open question whether he can establish himself as a consistent top-6 C in the NHL. And also whether he can stay healthy. He has not definitively answered either question yet.

• Like 1

Nothing is for certain--not even Suzuki and Caufield, one never knows--but I think Dach has shown enough that I'm comfortable that he has the potential to be a key contributor. Now, we still need to realize the potential, but it's certainly far closer than that of a potential top-ten draft pick in this year's draft.

I watched Mike Johnson and Craig Button talking about when its time for the habs to compete and Button said its time to aim for playoffs next season. Made me think and then Ill just throw it out here.

If we dont win the draft lottery would it be worth sending our 7-8th overall pick to the pens for a salary retained Sid Crosby including a conditional 1st next year (the worst of our two pics) if he resigns/we win the cup. Maybe them taking Armia or maybe Gallagher as well if possible...

46 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Nothing is for certain--not even Suzuki and Caufield, one never knows--but I think Dach has shown enough that I'm comfortable that he has the potential to be a key contributor. Now, we still need to realize the potential, but it's certainly far closer than that of a potential top-ten draft pick in this year's draft.

I think he has shown enough talent wise, a lot of potential, for me it's a question of whether he can stay healthy. 

47 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

I watched Mike Johnson and Craig Button talking about when its time for the habs to compete and Button said its time to aim for playoffs next season. Made me think and then Ill just throw it out here.

If we dont win the draft lottery would it be worth sending our 7-8th overall pick to the pens for a salary retained Sid Crosby including a conditional 1st next year (the worst of our two pics) if he resigns/we win the cup. Maybe them taking Armia or maybe Gallagher as well if possible...

I think it's still a little too early to be making trades like that. You make that trade when you are a legitimate cup contender, don't think the Habs are there yet even with a Crosby. 

I can see trying to become a bubble team next season - but the path toward that likely lies in a trade for a talented young FW, in return for some combinations of picks/young D/prospects. Not Crosby.

45 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think it's still a little too early to be making trades like that. You make that trade when you are a legitimate cup contender, don't think the Habs are there yet even with a Crosby. 

Mostly agree with you ... but it might be the ONLY opportunity to get Sid ... if he ends up elsewhere (and with a NMC he isn't being traded anywhere he doesn't want to go) and wins a Cup he might well re-sign there in the summer of 2025.

34 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Mostly agree with you ... but it might be the ONLY opportunity to get Sid ... if he ends up elsewhere (and with a NMC he isn't being traded anywhere he doesn't want to go) and wins a Cup he might well re-sign there in the summer of 2025.

It's also a very tough call for Dubas to make. I think he has 2 choices:

1) go hard for the cup

2) do a complete rebuild not a reset as MB called it

I don't think there is any in between with the aging core they have. Given that they traded for Karlsson I think Dubas has picked option 1 so I don't think he is trading Crosby anytime soon. 

2 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It's also a very tough call for Dubas to make. I think he has 2 choices:

1) go hard for the cup

2) do a complete rebuild not a reset as MB called it

I don't think there is any in between with the aging core they have. Given that they traded for Karlsson I think Dubas has picked option 1 so I don't think he is trading Crosby anytime soon. 

Agreed ... although I am not certain it will be Dubas' call ... I expect it will rest with the Fenway Sports Group and/or Sid himself.

3 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think he has shown enough talent wise, a lot of potential, for me it's a question of whether he can stay healthy. 

Thats where i am too.  Dach, if healthy, is 100% a top 6 NHLer.  The health concerns me.

Pens have a few big contracts for older guys.

I am not interested in Crosby now, but maybe after next year when is a UFA i suppose would be a fun addition. 

But kinda hope he retires as a Penguin.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Pens have a few big contracts for older guys.

I am not interested in Crosby now, but maybe after next year when is a UFA i suppose would be a fun addition. 

But kinda hope he retires as a Penguin.

I want the Habs to sign him to short contracts and see if he can help the Habs hoist the cup. Like Spezza did with the leafs - those type of contracts. 

On another note, lines from practice today which translates to game lines most of the time:

Canadiens lines at practice:
Ylönen (for Caufield)-Suzuki-Slafkovský
Roy-Newhook-Anderson
Armia-Evans-Gallagher
Pezzetta-Gignac-Pearson

Matheson-Savard
Struble-Guhle
Xhekaj-Kovacevic/Harris

I've complained about Anderson before. The facts are that for most of the season Slafkovsky has made EVERY line that he plays on better. Contrast that with Anderson who for most of the season has made EVERY line that he plays on worse. 

Anderson is not earning his ice time and he belongs on the 4th line. Let him find his game and work his way back up. Let everyone else have their shot at those top 6 minutes and see if anyone can produce more than Anderson. 

Armia turned his game around when he had to re-earn his spot and he is playing significantly better. Perhaps limited minutes on the 4th line would similarly motivate Anderson. 

6 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I want the Habs to sign him to short contracts and see if he can help the Habs hoist the cup. Like Spezza did with the leafs - those type of contracts. 

On another note, lines from practice today which translates to game lines most of the time:

Canadiens lines at practice:
Ylönen (for Caufield)-Suzuki-Slafkovský
Roy-Newhook-Anderson
Armia-Evans-Gallagher
Pezzetta-Gignac-Pearson

Matheson-Savard
Struble-Guhle
Xhekaj-Kovacevic/Harris

I've complained about Anderson before. The facts are that for most of the season Slafkovsky has made EVERY line that he plays on better. Contrast that with Anderson who for most of the season has made EVERY line that he plays on worse. 

Anderson is not earning his ice time and he belongs on the 4th line. Let him find his game and work his way back up. Let everyone else have their shot at those top 6 minutes and see if anyone can produce more than Anderson. 

Armia turned his game around when he had to re-earn his spot and he is playing significantly better. Perhaps limited minutes on the 4th line would similarly motivate Anderson. 

At the start of the year, I dint think it made sense to send Anderson down - we had to hope that he turned things around and increased his trade value. At this point I think we should send him down. At least at the start of the year, it looked like he was trying SOMETIMES, now it looks like he is just collecting his pay check, but isn’t even trying to earn it!

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

At the start of the year, I dint think it made sense to send Anderson down - we had to hope that he turned things around and increased his trade value. At this point I think we should send him down. At least at the start of the year, it looked like he was trying SOMETIMES, now it looks like he is just collecting his pay check, but isn’t even trying to earn it!

Maybe there is a GM out there that thinks he can make Anderson productive. And if there is, maybe we could take back a smaller bad contract ... OK, it's really stretch, I know.

In the meantime, fourth-line minutes would be appropriate. Give the ice time to younger players who need it. (The sad thing is that Anderson is only 29, a year younger than Armia and only two years older than Evans.)

Some players do age out early, and I always said that when Anderson lost a step, it would be bad news, since his one play has been to drive the net by bullying past the D on the outside. But to lose that step at 29? Maybe. I tend to think it has more to do with MSL’s attempt to reconstruct his game, followed by a loss of confidence and, perhaps, general disenchantment on his part (?).

But yeah. 4th line minutes makes sense. I dunno about sending him down - if memory serves, the cap savings would not be all that great, we still have a death of talent at FW, and, unlike Armia, he’s a widely respected veteran. Just doesn’t seem like the type of guy HuGo would do that to, especially if the root cause is MSL’s experimenting on him. 🤷‍♂️

How do you solve a problem like Josh Anderson? It beats me.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

How do you solve a problem like Josh Anderson? It beats me.

Maybe he needs to play on instinct and emotion. Gets screwed up when he has to think. Just say, remember all that stuff I said about changing your game? Don't do it. Go back to what worked for you b4. Crash bang speed instinct. 

7 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Maybe he needs to play on instinct and emotion. Gets screwed up when he has to think. Just say, remember all that stuff I said about changing your game? Don't do it. Go back to what worked for you b4. Crash bang speed instinct. 

But do it on the 4th line because you have not complemented the other players on any line we put you on.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

But do it on the 4th line because you have not complemented the other players on any line we put you on.

9 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

I agree with both of you. Just say: Josh, we need you to play that bulldozer game, just go out and wreak havoc, don't worry about offence. There is a future where he is an effective grinder in the bottom-6. Maybe that should become our new objective with him. 

I always thought of Anderson as a very expensive 3rd line winger that could play up the lineup when hot.

I wonder how well he would play in a line like this:

RHP-Gignac-Anderson

(I know RHP is on ir)

just wondering with a speedy center and an energy winger with 3rd-line talent

Or, for now:

Pearson-Gignac-Anderson

Edited by alfredoh2009

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I always thought of Anderson as a very expensive 3rd line winger ...

At his best he is

... that could play up the lineup when hot ...

Not that he has shown with ANY consistency. 

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Just say: Josh, we need you to play that bulldozer game, just go out and wreak havoc, don't worry about offence. 

That's when Josh can be effective, go out, skate hard, play physical and let things take their course. Don't want him thinking too much. There aren't a lot of guys in the NHL his size that skate as well as he does.  That's part of what makes him so frustrating, he has some great tools but no toolbox and therefore little results.  Don't think too much, go out and play hard. 

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

At his best he is

Not that he has shown with ANY consistency. 

MSL does not know yet how to coach veterans to get their best. I think Anderson is another victim of the learning path the coach is progressing on. I don’t think HughGort or Molson care much on how the veterans perform and the PR shows that.

I am fine this season with that, but starting next season I expect an overall improvement from the organization on that aspect of the handling of the team

43 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

MSL does not know yet how to coach veterans to get their best. I think Anderson is another victim of the learning path the coach is progressing on.

Which veterans (besides Anderson) do you think have suffered from St-Louis coaching? I think Monahan, Matheson, Armia, Kovacevic have all benefited, I think. Savard seems no worse. Gallagher and Pearson?

MSL does not know yet how to coach veterans to get their best. I think Anderson is another victim of the learning path the coach is progressing on. I don’t think HughGort or Molson care much on how the veterans perform and the PR shows that.

I am fine this season with that, but starting next season I expect an overall improvement from the organization on that aspect of the handling of the team

Savard and Matheson seem to be doing fine ... Monahan was doing fine ... Pearson was doing fine before his injury ... Evans is doing fine for "who/what he is" ...Armia is having his best season since 19/20 ... is MSL expected to just tell Anderson to play his one-man game and not bother with defence ... that hardly is progressing the TEAM in their rebuild.