2023-24 Montreal Canadiens Discussion Thread

GHT120

9 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

well, I am still hoping Roy wins that spot. Anderson is signed until 2027. Dach and Newhook play a fast aggressive game, from all the other options on wing, Anderson is there by default unless Roy is fully healed and wins that spot.

Dvorak and Armia are both UFAs after next season. I would play them together on the 3rd line and rotate a winger there. Anyone, whoever best helps them get points or be scored on less. That's the money line from which at least two will be traded at the deadline.

Evans can center the remainders and be an awesome 4th liner.

It would be great if Roy won the spot, or a legit top 6 winger was added, but I wouldn't saddle the second-line with Anderson by default ... the idea is to have a productive second-line to support the Suzuki line ... because Armia is a pending UFA and possible trade deadline chip I would look to raise his value and play him with Dach and Newhook before Anderson ... I might even play Gallagher there ahead of Anderson because at least he will bring effort and a willingness to go to the net ... Anderson has to earn his way up from the 3rd line and I-M-O even earn his right to not drop to the 4th line (or Laval) ... Evans remains a very good, and very expensive, 4C.

Just now, GHT120 said:

It would be great if Roy won the spot, or a legit top 6 winger was added, but I wouldn't saddle the second-line with Anderson by default ... the idea is to have a productive second-line to support the Suzuki line ... because Armia is a pending UFA and possible trade deadline chip I would look to raise his value and play him with Dach and Newhook before Anderson; I might even play Gallagher there ahead of Anderson because at least he will bring effort and a willingness to go to the net ... Evans remains a very good, and very expensive, 4C.

I prefer playing Anderson over Gallagher on the second line.

Armia has never successfully been a top-6 forward. He does great on a third line and that is where I would look to up Armia’s value.

I am not as adverse towards Anderson; he is a useful player if the coaching staff uses him to his strengths instead of re-inventing him… but I digress 

4 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I prefer playing Anderson over Gallagher on the second line.

Armia has never successfully been a top-6 forward. He does great on a third line and that is where I would look to up Armia’s value.

I am not as adverse towards Anderson; he is a useful player if the coaching staff uses him to his strengths instead of re-inventing him… but I digress 

Even when he was scoring, Anderson was always essentially a solo-act on whatever line he played ... but we all have (or have had) players in whom we have more faith than do others ... I-M-O, if Armia continues his decent play the rest of this season, he deserves to begin next season "ahead" of Anderson (even if they end up on the same line).

It is not about Armia deserving to move up. I do not know if you know the saying: “People raise to their level of incompetence” 

Armia’s level is 3rd line winger 

9 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

well, I am still hoping Roy wins that spot. Anderson is signed until 2027. Dach and Newhook play a fast aggressive game, from all the other options on wing, Anderson is there by default unless Roy is fully healed and wins that spot.

Based on how he has been playing, and his recent line assignments, I really don't thing Anderson is any kind of lock for the second line. Either Roy or Armia would be ahead of him already, maybe even RHP.

Anderson played 12:41 against the Oilers, much less than Armia (18:40) or Newhook (17:40). Even Gallagher got more ice time than Anderson.

53 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Have you not noticed our second line's (Roy, Newhook and--yes--Armia) play recently? It's the best it has been since the Dach injury, and the coaching staff has been rewarding it with more ice time, too.

Jeff Gorton said on @sickpodnhl that he is currently in Montreal while others are accompanying #GoHabsGo  on their road trip. He says that he and others are working to try and do "some college free agents stuff" and that "good teams find good NCAA fa."

Sounds like a long shot but perhaps Gorton finds a future star. 

2 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Based on how he has been playing, and his recent line assignments, I really don't thing Anderson is any kind of lock for the second line. Either Roy or Armia would be ahead of him already, maybe even RHP.

Anderson played 12:41 against the Oilers, much less than Armia (18:40) or Newhook (17:40). Even Gallagher got more ice time than Anderson.

To add to this are the very negative game stats from Anderson. The stats clearly show that ANY line that he plays on does significantly worse than when Anderson isn’t on that line. 

Why give prime minutes to a player like that?

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Why give prime minutes to a player like that?

Not for last couple weeks.

Healthy scratch maybe in the near future?

image.png

44 minutes ago, DON said:

Not for last couple weeks.

Healthy scratch maybe in the near future?

image.png

Even with Roy out, with Allen gone they do now have a "14th forward" who could slide in for a game or two without impacting Laval ... it could also be a prelude to Armia-ing him (i.e., "earn a roster spot or get waived" next training camp).

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Have you not noticed our second line's (Roy, Newhook and--yes--Armia) play recently? It's the best it has been since the Dach injury, and the coaching staff has been rewarding it with more ice time, too.

you are right, I have not watched a Habs game in over two weeks.

I don’t have a clue how he is playing. All I know is that I would play the boat anchor contract on a second line in hopes that what happened with Monahan happens again and that the asset can be shipped out. 
Next season is a long way in thaw future; the Habs will be very different then

9 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Anderson really is not Monahan, though. Monahan made his linemates better, while Anderson ...

I read you, I get it

I just hope, and hope for the best in people 

7 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Jeff Gorton said on @sickpodnhl that he is currently in Montreal while others are accompanying #GoHabsGo  on their road trip. He says that he and others are working to try and do "some college free agents stuff" and that "good teams find good NCAA fa."

Sounds like a long shot but perhaps Gorton finds a future star.

This isn't a bad college free agent class but a lot of players profile as just depth guys as usual.  There's a young defenceman that intrigues me but I think he stays in college.  Collin Graf is one of the top forwards of the group but he's a bottom-six profile.  I'm not against free assets but I'm a bit surprised they're trying to do much in there unless it's of the ATO (for Laval) variety.  The players they're likely to let go by not having contract slots for them I think might be better than a lot of the college free agents out there.

Canadiens lose another heartbreaker that shows their future is in fact bright - The Athletic

Second, Guhle continues to show what he will be as an NHL shutdown defender. Yes, he was victimized by McDavid on the Oilers’ first goal, an opportunity created by a terrible Josh Anderson turnover in his own zone, but Guhle spent a team-high 12:28 on the ice with McDavid at five-on-five and while the Oilers heavily controlled the run of play in that time, ultimately that first-period goal was the only one the Canadiens gave up in that time.

Author also noted McDavid & Suzuki didnt see much head to head action. Oiler coach didnt want to match up top lines.

"So, the Canadiens immediately pulled Matheson and Guhle off the ice right after the faceoff but kept the Suzuki line out there. From that point on, the Canadiens knew that if they sent the Suzuki line over the boards, McDavid was not likely to be coming on the other side because Knoblauch — who noted Tuesday morning just how dangerous the Suzuki line has been for the Canadiens — wanted his shutdown forward line to face them"

(Suzuki needs a scoring 2nd line, hope Dach is that 2nd line centre they need?)

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

This isn't a bad college free agent class but a lot of players profile as just depth guys as usual.  There's a young defenceman that intrigues me but I think he stays in college.  Collin Graf is one of the top forwards of the group but he's a bottom-six profile.  I'm not against free assets but I'm a bit surprised they're trying to do much in there unless it's of the ATO (for Laval) variety.  The players they're likely to let go by not having contract slots for them I think might be better than a lot of the college free agents out there.

Who knows though. He could be looking at college forwards drafted by other teams, that they move for one of our young D.

17 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Who knows though. He could be looking at college forwards drafted by other teams, that they move for one of our young D.

I'm sure there's some of that as well but the quote specifically referenced college free agents stuff which means players who aren't drafted.

5 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I'm sure there's some of that as well but the quote specifically referenced college free agents stuff which means players who aren't drafted.

And are no highly touted "Best outside of NHL" free agent prospects this year to really fight over i assume?

Gorton eh.

Patience is the key in any rebuild, but Rangers owner James Dolan didn’t have much. Just over three years after the New York rebuild started — and two days after the Rangers had been eliminated from playoff contention in the 56-game COVID-shortened season with a 26-21-6 record — Dolan fired Gorton. The Rangers had the youngest roster in the NHL at the time with eight rookies in the lineup.

Stu Cowan: Jeff Gorton is pulling the strings in Canadiens' rebuild | Montreal Gazette

Offseason lookahead: How Habs can keep rebuild on right track | theScore.com

Interesting reference re: Panarin. This management team clearly has an eye on the Big Move that will kick-start the rebuild to the next level - it’s a question of timing. It might or might not be this summer,  but I would not at all be surprised if we do see some really major move(s) before October.

44 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Interesting reference re: Panarin. This management team clearly has an eye on the Big Move that will kick-start the rebuild to the next level - it’s a question of timing. It might or might not be this summer,  but I would not at all be surprised if we do see some really major move(s) before October.

Agreed, it is a question of timing.  They gain some salary space this year with Edmundsen, Alzner and Pearson coming off the books (approx 5.7M) although Monty's new contract at 3.1M kicks in. However they do gain a lot of space after next year with Petry, Allen, Armia and Dvorak all coming off the books (approx 12M) plus the cap is going up so a year from now they should have the funds for a big free agent acquisition if they want to go that route. The wild card is that a lot of the young defensemen will be coming off entry level contracts and will need raises. 

5 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Agreed, it is a question of timing.  They gain some salary space this year with Edmundsen, Alzner and Pearson coming off the books (approx 5.7M) although Monty's new contract at 3.1M kicks in. However they do gain a lot of space after next year with Petry, Allen, Armia and Dvorak all coming off the books (approx 12M) plus the cap is going up so a year from now they should have the funds for a big free agent acquisition if they want to go that route. The wild card is that a lot of the young defensemen will be coming off entry level contracts and will need raises. 

Some of the ELCs will be up for renewal in 2025. As of next season, HughGort will have to show how he wants to structure the salary hierarchy of the Habs. He will have an almost blank slate by then. Isn't Price coming off the books in 2025 too?

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The wild card is that a lot of the young defensemen will be coming off entry level contracts and will need raises. 

Was suggested that Hughes sign Guhle-Slafkovski to long term deals this summer.

I know extra little about contract/cap stuff, but maybe is a good idea?

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It’s easier said than done to get a guy like Panarin to sign. When he went to the Rangers wasn’t his choice either NY or Florida, but he really wanted to go to the Rangers. Can’t see us having that kind of advantage where a big name UFA is available AND we are his first choice.