2023-24 Montreal Canadiens Discussion Thread

GHT120

20 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Need some additional PK skill on the roster, though. We don't have much beyond Armia, Evans and Suzuki now, and the gap will get bigger yet if we trade Armia.

Hopefully HuGo's moves will be with 25/26 and 26/27 in mind, not just 24/25.

6 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Agree with your points but you forgot about the emergence of Joel Armia. Is he ready to blossom? Has he turned the corner?   OK, let's not get too excited. 

If we get a good offer for Armia if move him. He’s got one year left, so if we keep him not a big deal. Gives us a veteran on the bottom 6. I wanted Anderson moved last year when he had a hot spell, but everyone goes gaga over his size and speed, despite major shortcomings- zero consistency or hockey sense and really an inability to gel and play well with anyone - let alone being able to make others around him better!

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Hopefully HuGo's moves will be with 25/26 and 26/27 in mind, not just 24/25.

Id like to see both. We need an other scorer and a healthy Dach to make sure we do have a viable second line. Id even be okay picking up someone that can help Sach progress and be productive, even if it’s only for two years and a longer term scorers is acquired.

2 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

If we get a good offer for Armia if move him. He’s got one year left, so if we keep him not a big deal. Gives us a veteran on the bottom 6. 

I would agree. If he plays well next year then he will have some value at the trade deadline, if not we thank him for his service at the end of the year and move on. 

14 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:
14 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

A late bloomer at age 30! Just goes to show, patient development pays off 🤪

No joke, though, he has played like an absolute stud top-9 forward over the second half. If he continues it into next season, we might be able to move that contract and maybe even get something back.

He has had a terrific 2nd half, don't know what caused the turnaround (time in the AHL, Marty's magic?) but he has always had the skills, just couldn't put it together for any length of time. Hopefully it continues although I am OK if the next 2 games are mediocre for him. 

I can understand why some want to get rid of Armia but I'm unconvinced that is a good idea.  I tend to think Armia's lack of consistency is due to him having a similar issue as Drouin.  Whenever he is on a hot streak it ends due to an injury too.   He's been unlucky that way.  

You're starting to see what I knew he was capable of.  I believe Armia could be a 60+ pt guy and would be a steal on the wrong team because he can be effective on a 2nd line and only makes $3.5 mil.  The Oilers, Pens, and Bruins would be smart to get him.  

I agree 110% with what Tom said:

On 4/5/2024 at 8:50 PM, tomh009 said:

Not going to ask you to like Armia, but there is more to it than that. We say that goaltending is 50% mental and the rest is in your head; much of the same applies to many other pro athletes. Armia wanted to play well, but until he started working with the Habs' mental performance coach, Francois Menard, he could not make it work.

He's nominated because he didn't give up or sulk after being demoted, but worked with Menard to get to the point where he is able to consistently (at least for now) use his skills.

I've said for years they should have a sports psychologist and they now do.  I think he's a big reason for why Armia is productive so I wouldn't get rid of him yet.  

Besides, the Habs could be playoff bound next season and Armia is a playoff performer so it would be good to have his size, skill, and experience.  Plus, the Habs can't really get rid of Armia or Andy until Florian and Tuch can replace their size.  If they are moved before those prospects are ready it would vastly reduce the teams size, strength, and effectiveness - especially in the playoffs.  

59 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

All this talk about Armia is why he got a ridiculous contract in the first place. Let’s not be fooled into giving him another one!

Half a great, surprising season vs. a career of mediocrity. 

I agree on not giving him another contract, let's just make sure he is given all the chances to improve his trade value leading into the trade deadline next year.

59 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Half a great, surprising season vs. a career of mediocrity. 

Similar offense to when acquired.

Just hopes he can stay healthy for a season and maybe even help in playoffs?

Being 32 in 25-26 season, i cant see being in long term Hab plan though.

image.png

26 minutes ago, DON said:

Similar offense to when acquired.

Just hopes he can stay healthy for a season and maybe even help in playoffs?

Being 32 in 25-26 season, i cant see being in long term Hab plan though.

image.png

Yeah he had three okay seasons for a bottom six player followed by three not very good seasons at all. 

Inconsistent effort has been Armia’s calling card too. 

No thanks 

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I agree on not giving him another contract, let's just make sure he is given all the chances to improve his trade value leading into the trade deadline next year.

Of course if he regresses to his norm he tanks his trade value.

I can't stand Therrien, but even a stopped clock is right twice a day. Asked about Drouin, he commented that with him, "there's always something." Some injury, some issue, some problem - some excuse.

Same pattern with Armia. When everything goes just so, he can be tremendous. But when it doesn't go just so - when he gets a hang nail or whatever - whoops, he vanishes.

Maybe something transformative occurred this year. Anything is possible. But it would be folly to make longer-term decisions based on 6 months of aberrant performance. The plan has to be to trade him - whether now, or later, or at the deadline.

Even at his best he's a third liner.

I dont believe we should give a guy who is going to be 32 years old when the contract even starts... and is an inconsistent bottom line player... a contract extension.

1.) At his age hes not part of the rebuild.

2.) Hes already not the fastest guy... and hes hitting the age curve.  If he loses a step that contract is a disaster 

Nope trade him as a rental now just to get him off the books.

20 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Maybe something transformative occurred this year. Anything is possible. But it would be folly to make longer-term decisions based on 6 months of aberrant performance. The plan has to be to trade him - whether now, or later, or at the deadline.

The deadline will give Hughes another six months or so of data. And it's not like waiting will risk the Habs losing a first-rounder in trade value anyway, so my prediction is that Hughes will not trade Armia in the summer. Unless, of course, he were to acquire a better player for that role at the same time.

13 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I dont believe we should give a guy who is going to be 32 years old when the contract even starts... and is an inconsistent bottom line player... a contract extension.

I think that is the key point. It's not like he is a guy who is 25/26 entering his prime years.  Injuries increase with age. He will be 31, almost 32 when his contract expires and he will be looking for one more good payday before he retires and it won't be from us. 

23 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think that is the key point. It's not like he is a guy who is 25/26 entering his prime years.  Injuries increase with age. He will be 31, almost 32 when his contract expires and he will be looking for one more good payday before he retires and it won't be from us. 

His birthday is May 31st.  So he will be 31 next month and 32 when the contract expires next year.

100% agree. Going forward we have to be thinking longer term of contracts to Slafkovsky, Guhle, in another two to three years, Dach, Hutson, Reinbacher, Newhook, wifi.

we can’t be giving contracts to guys like Armia and Anderson people get sucked into becuase of a size fetish, but have no track record for consistent production. The only consistency is long periods of inconsistency.

im not opposed to keeping Armia until the next deadline, or end of year if we are battling for a playoff spot (highly u likely unless our young D including at least two of Hutson/Reinbacher/Mailloux progress and are big Reinbacher on D, young forwards continue to progress, Dach is healthy AND we get another solid second line scorer.

only way I’d even consider resigning Armia is if it’s for thr original $1.5-$2m I said I’d be willing to sign him for after our cup run. If he wants more - Sayanara!

Congratulations to Logan Mailloux for being called up to the NHL.

8 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Congratulations to Logan Mailloux for being called up to the NHL.

Hoping the Habs pair Mailloux with Hutson. They can score four goals and let in six, it would be perfect. 

Yes I know it’s not happening 

• Like 1

Josh Anderson points by months this season:

Oct: 1
Nov: 1 
Dec: 9
Jan: 2
Feb: 3
Mar: 2
Apr: 2

If Anderson has a similar season next year then I hope he doesn’t see top 6 minutes. I hope he sees fourth line minutes. 

Those are terrible stats 

12 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Josh Anderson points by months this season:

Oct: 1
Nov: 1 
Dec: 9
Jan: 2
Feb: 3
Mar: 2
Apr: 2

If Anderson has a similar season next year then I hope he doesn’t see top 6 minutes. I hope he sees fourth line minutes. 

Those are terrible stats 

He knows he sucked. From HEOTP

Josh Anderson has no excuses for his play this season.

#Habs Josh Anderson: "at the end of the day I don't really have any excuses for the way I played this year" – Anderson says he now has a lot of time to reflect on this season and has a lot to work on this summer to get back to the player he knows he can be next year.

— Priyanta Emrith (@HabsInHighHeels) April 17, 2024

"It will be a big summer for me, no question." – Josh Anderson

• Upvote 1