Connor McMichael - Evgeny Kuznetsov - T.J. Oshie
Sonny Milano - Nicklas Backstrom - Tom Wilson
Beck Malenstyn - Aliaksei Protas - Anthony Mantha

Rasmus Sandin - John Carlson
Martin Fehervary - Nick Jensen
Hardy Haman Aktell - Trevor van Riemsdyk

Darcy Kuemper

1_9.gif

Lines are from last game aside from the defence.

Cole Caufield - Nick Suzuki - Rafael Harvey-Pinard
Tanner Pearson – Alex Newhook - Juraj Slafkovsky
Josh Anderson - Sean Monahan - Brendan Gallagher
Michael Pezzetta - Jake Evans - Jesse Ylonen

Mike Matheson - David Savard
Jordan Harris - Johnathan Kovacevic
Arber Xhekaj - Justin Barron

Jake Allen

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Ovechkin with 0 goals in 3 games.

He's due for a breakout game. Dollars to doughnuts it will be at the Bell Centre on the big stage 🤮

Zero shots in his last two games as well which I believe is a first for him.  He might be slightly motivated for this one.

31 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Lines are from last game aside from the defence.

Cole Caufield - Nick Suzuki - Rafael Harvey-Pinard
Tanner Pearson – Alex Newhook - Juraj Slafkovsky
Josh Anderson - Sean Monahan - Brendan Gallagher
Michael Pezzetta - Jake Evans - Jesse Ylonen

I assume Armia will be replacing Pezzetta ... maybe.

Just now, dlbalr said:

Zero shots in his last two games as well which I believe is a first for him.  He might be slightly motivated for this one.

Let's see whether it's that, or whether Father Time is finally catching up with him.

16 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Let's see whether it's that, or whether Father Time is finally catching up with him.

I wouldn't mind seeing Gretzky's record stand, if I'm being honest 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Gretzky's record stand, if I'm being honest 🤷‍♂️

I feel the same way, nothing against Ovechkin as he has been great for the game. I just don't need to hear a certain dictator bragging about it. 

Guess Armia's re-call is more to have a spare forward with them for the road trip.

8 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Guess Armia's re-call is more to have a spare forward with them for the road trip.

It's just good to have an extra body in case someone gets hurt in the warm-up or gets sick before the game.  Honestly, I thought they might call up a defenceman as well in case but they didn't have the roster spot to do it unless they put Guhle on IR.  The fact they're not doing so suggests he won't be out long.

12 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I'd have thought so too but St. Louis said no, he's sitting tonight.

Good that Armia sits, but is anyone else disappointed he was called up?  I know he scored 4 goals (1 empty net) & 1 assists in 4 AHL games, but I would rather have called up Joshua Roy (5 goals, 4 assists) in 4 games.  He was dominant in his last game, scoring 5 points.

The Habs braintrust said Armia was injured during training camp, so he did not get a fair chance to show what he can do. I am hoping this call up is his last chance, and when he eventually plays without any effort like he usually does, then he should be permanently assigned to the farm team.

54 minutes ago, habscout said:

Good that Armia sits, but is anyone else disappointed he was called up?  I know he scored 4 goals (1 empty net) & 1 assists in 4 AHL games, but I would rather have called up Joshua Roy (5 goals, 4 assists) in 4 games.  He was dominant in his last game, scoring 5 points.

The Habs braintrust said Armia was injured during training camp, so he did not get a fair chance to show what he can do. I am hoping this call up is his last chance, and when he eventually plays without any effort like he usually does, then he should be permanently assigned to the farm team.

With young players, you want them to get consistent minutes, not get yo-yo'ed back and forth.  Roy isn't NHL-ready after just four AHL games and this is a short-term recall with Dvorak due back in a couple of weeks.  It makes more sense for the promotion to be a veteran where they don't care if he sits.  If Roy is still lighting it up after a couple of months, then it's time to consider making room for him and giving him a look.  We're a long way from that point.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

With young players, you want them to get consistent minutes, not get yo-yo'ed back and forth.  Roy isn't NHL-ready after just four AHL games and this is a short-term recall with Dvorak due back in a couple of weeks.  It makes more sense for the promotion to be a veteran where they don't care if he sits.  If Roy is still lighting it up after a couple of months, then it's time to consider making room for him and giving him a look.  We're a long way from that point.

Agreed, give Roy some time in the AHL, build his confidence at that level. Absolutely no need to rush him. 

I'm not upset that Armia was recalled.  I'm hopeful the disgrace of him being sent to the AHL lights a fire under him and gets him going and then they might be able to trade him.

I want to see Roy and other youngsters too but they need a better solution for dealing with Armia's contract.

29 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Honestly, I thought they might call up a defenceman as well in case but they didn't have the roster spot to do it unless they put Guhle on IR.  The fact they're not doing so suggests he won't be out long.

I was hoping for that Norlinder might get a few games and it seems like that isn't happening, but it is definitely good news that Ghule wont be out long term.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Brian, I'm sure you're right that the Habs will treat Roy that way.  Maybe if he keeps up a good scoring rate and the rest of his game is solid, he may get a call up around the half way point of the season.

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

It's just good to have an extra body in case someone gets hurt in the warm-up or gets sick before the game.  Honestly, I thought they might call up a defenceman as well in case but they didn't have the roster spot to do it unless they put Guhle on IR.  The fact they're not doing so suggests he won't be out long.

I just hope they learned a lesson from last year and won’t be rushing guys back!

3 hours ago, habscout said:

I’m disappointed that he was called up, but I don’t want Roy to be called up YET. Let him dominate and when he comes up, it should be when he is closer to staying up. It’s too early in the year to bring young guys up for a game or two. Let them prove themselves. I’d rather they bring up a guy like Andersson (if he earns it), or Norlindar if we need a dman.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

100% agree.

It took a while (the shots were 2-1 Washington 13 minutes in) but eventually, something resembling a hockey game broke out.  Allen was sharp in the second half of the period when the Caps found their skating legs.  And somehow the Habs scored on the power play, lots of surprises in this one.

5 hours ago, habscout said:

Roy needs AHL time IMO.  4 games is not enough.  He will get his.chance but let him get his feet wet in pro hockey before rushing him up.

• tomh009 changed the title to Game #4 Oct. 21, Capitals vs Canadiens, 7 PM