Montembeault extended, 3y @ $3.15M AAV

TurdBurglar

49 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I assume this means that Monty is not going to be traded now?  Or does it make him a more attractive trade candidate? 

It's very uncommon for a player to be signed and traded shortly after so I think it's safe to say he won't be traded this season.

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

It's very uncommon for a player to be signed and traded shortly after so I think it's safe to say he won't be traded this season.

I would agree, I think Hughes has made a commitment to Monty and he will be a Hab for a while. 

This signing puts the Habs in the upper echelon of goalie duo salary cap expenditures (not including Carey Price). I have to imagine Allen will find a new address eventually. Interesting side note, one of my son's current bantam coaches is a childhood friend of Jake Allen.

6 minutes ago, huzer said:

This signing puts the Habs in the upper echelon of goalie duo salary cap expenditures (not including Carey Price). I have to imagine Allen will find a new address eventually. Interesting side note, one of my son's current bantam coaches is a childhood friend of Jake Allen.

Its 3.15 for Montrembault and 3.85 for allen.   7 million over 2 goalies is more midpack than upper echelon. 

There are 9 goalies (10 including Price) who individually will have cap hits of 5.5 million or greater next year..... with most backups costing at least 1.5 million, that's already 9 teams who are the same or more than the Habs for their top 2 goalies next year.   Thats without even looking at the cost of a lot of tandems.

10 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Its 3.15 for Montrembault and 3.85 for allen.   7 million over 2 goalies is more midpack than upper echelon. 

There are 9 goalies (10 including Price) who individually will have cap hits of 5.5 million or greater next year..... with most backups costing at least 1.5 million, that's already 9 teams who are the same or more than the Habs for their top 2 goalies next year.   Thats without even looking at the cost of a lot of tandems.

Upper middle, I suppose. I didn't mean top 5, which is probably what could be interpreted as upper echelon. I can't say it's a tandem that gives anyone nightmares, though, which I suppose isn't a major concern at this time.

1 hour ago, huzer said:

Not concerned at this point as Allen only has 1 more year. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Good value deal.  Now to find the other half of the 1a/1b as i dont think that either Allen or Primeau is it.

For now I just hope we can move Allen and give Premieau a better look as an everyday backup

Seems reasonable contract.

I assume he is better than some current back-up and would be picked up if waived to Laval, but what is Primeau's value? Must be pretty low.

Habs sign Samuel Montembeault to 3 year contract extension – HabsWorld.net

Montreal Canadiens sign Samuel Montembeault to three-year contract extension - Habs Eyes on the Prize

• tomh009 changed the title to Montembeault extended, 3y @ $3.15M AAV

I'm definitely glad to hear he has been signed and although I'm not overly happy with the $ amount.  The money isn't too bad but I would have preferred it to be 2.75-3 mil.  However, I am happy that all the analysts were wrong that were predicting Monty's next deal would start with a 4.

I'm unconvinced if this means anything regarding Hughes going with Monty for that time period though.  Numerous teams that are interested in Monty would probably want to know what his cap would be if they got him.  That $ is now known along with the # of years they could have him so any potentially interested teams will have more faith moving forward with a trade.  i.e. other teams might have believed he wanted 4+ mil is and there is a big difference between 9.45 for 3 yrs and 12+ mil for 3 years.  

1 hour ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

That $ is now known along with the # of years they could have him so any potentially interested teams will have more faith moving forward with a trade.

I think you might be alone in thinking he will be traded this year?

He was recently quoted as wanting to stay in Montreal and is a fit, so seems unlikely is a sign/trade thing.

13 hours ago, DON said:

I think you might be alone in thinking he will be traded this year?

He was recently quoted as wanting to stay in Montreal and is a fit, so seems unlikely is a sign/trade thing.

He wants to stay and just signed.  Hughes would destroy his trust with agents and hus ability to sign future deals at good rates (hed have to overpay cause they have no trust in him) if he turned around and traded the guy 5 minutes after signing him.

Funny thing, a lot of Habs fans seem MUCH more skeptical about Montembeault than the rest of the league. He seems widely regarded as a guy who has late-blossomed into being a quality G - exactly my own view. 

Since Monty alone is unlikely to bring back a really high-impact prospect (not because he’s crap, but because G seldom command such a return) I don’t see the rush to trade him. 

You need decent goaltending even on a rebuilding team. Monty is the best of our three. He gives our young defencemen a platform to grow and learn without the team getting lit up night after night. And his three-year term is, to my mind, the key here. We are not committed to him well into the team’s supposed Cup window. In the coming year or two, HuGo can re-assess where we are in our franchise development, and where he is in his career arc, and decide whether to move him out or renew him.

It’s a good contract and there is no need to think in terms of trading him in the short term.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 12/1/2023 at 11:18 AM, Commandant said:

Good value deal.  Now to find the other half of the 1a/1b as i dont think that either Allen or Primeau is it.

What about Juuse Saros ? 

Will Askarov be ready enough at the end of Saros' deal ?

I think the biggest perception issue with Montembeault is one he can't solve, he was a waiver claim that is succeeding Carey Price. He's not Price. He's also behind an inexperience/learning defense. Price was that all-world goalie that could cover for the defensive lapses of the team. Monty is the goalie that is solid when he needs to be, and sometimes can make that spectacular save. 

From my pea brain perspective, I have seen improvement from Monty, and from Primeau (although his improvement is not quite as marked, it is still there). Primeau could end up like Monty, and start to establish himself as a more consistent netminder in another 2-3 years. I'm pretty sure we picked up Monty at around the same point, career-wise, that Primeau is at right now.  They have very similar basic numbers for their age 24 seasons (.886/3.72 vs .891/3.71, not getting into anything more advanced that that).

I like Jake Allen, but I think for the remainder of this season, it should be something like a 60/40 Monty/Primeau tandem to give Primeau more NHL games. Or maybe they've already seen enough, who knows.

1 minute ago, huzer said:

I think the biggest perception issue with Montembeault is one he can't solve, he was a waiver claim that is succeeding Carey Price. He's not Price. He's also behind an inexperience/learning defense. Price was that all-world goalie that could cover for the defensive lapses of the team. Monty is the goalie that is solid when he needs to be, and sometimes can make that spectacular save. 

From my pea brain perspective, I have seen improvement from Monty, and from Primeau (although his improvement is not quite as marked, it is still there). Primeau could end up like Monty, and start to establish himself as a more consistent netminder in another 2-3 years. I'm pretty sure we picked up Monty at around the same point, career-wise, that Primeau is at right now.  They have very similar basic numbers for their age 24 seasons (.886/3.72 vs .891/3.71, not getting into anything more advanced that that).

I like Jake Allen, but I think for the remainder of this season, it should be something like a 60/40 Monty/Primeau tandem to give Primeau more NHL games. Or maybe they've already seen enough, who knows.

we'll , my mashed potato brain agrees with your pea brain perspective.

us vegetables must stick together ! 🥕 🥦 🧅 🍆 🥔