WJC 2024 discussion thread

alfredoh2009

8 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

With Germany beating Finland, there's a good chance Finland doesn't make it out of the round robin.  Interesting tournament so far.

Four out of five teams make it into the playoff round so the bar is not very high. 😊 Most likely Finland just needs to beat Latvia, but they might end up facing the US in the first round.

20 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Four out of five teams make it into the playoff round so the bar is not very high. 😊 Most likely Finland just needs to beat Latvia, but they might end up facing the US in the first round.

Correct, forgot it's the top 4 in each group for some reason I thought it was top-3 in each group.

Mesar 3pts 2gms

Canadiens prospect Mesar looks dominant at World Juniors so far | Offside (dailyhive.com)

Canadiens: Filip Mesar Is Showing A Big Step In His Development At World Juniors (awinninghabit.com)

"Mesar, despite being on the smaller side, seems to have kept a close eye on Habs head coach Martin St. Louis's highlight tapes, because he has been just as tenacious as Marty. Smart hits, quick passes and having his head up scanning constantly have been Mesar's bread and butter."

USA vs Swiss in couple hours, How will lil Lane do? Will Fowler get the start?

4 hours ago, DON said:

6'2" 214lb Fowler gets the start in net for USA.

21 saves on 24 shots in an 11-3 victory. Maybe the US defence was getting sloppy in the third period? (I didn't watch so it's just a guess.)

Hutson 18:22 TOI, two shots, +0 (!).

On Lane Hutson…

https://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey/2023-12-27/championnat-mondial-junior/pendant-ce-temps-lane-hutson.php

The head coach of the American team, David Carle, does not seem worried about Hutson's ability to defend. He even uses it when outnumbered.

“I had been told about his offensive potential,” he told reporters the day after the match against Norway on Wednesday, “but I was surprised by his desire to limit the opponent's time and space. in defensive territory. The more I work with him on a daily basis, the more I appreciate his defensive game. We should talk more about this aspect of his game, but I understand that his offensive exploits attract more attention. »

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

My initial impressions after watching Hutson for the first time was that he makes a whole bunch on high danger plays and I’m not sure that will fly in the NHL. 

The reversal of the penalty on the hit on Beck is odd, and even more odd when you listen to the referee explaining it to the Canadian coach.  

it was a bare minimum 2, but should of been a 5 without a suspension.  There’s no way that’s not a penalty for boarding.  Justifying it’s not a penalty because Beck is turning and leaning forward.  Beck didn’t put himself into the boards without being hit, so it makes no sense that the responsibility was completely taken off of the Swedish player.

Mesar 1g+1a in 22:51--that's the second-highest TOI on the team.

The US game not finished yet but Hutson has 15:13 of TOI through two periods, highest on the team. Only one assist, though.

Czechia deserved to win that game.  They played a great defensive game. 

Canada deserved to lose.  They didn't show up until the 2nd period and hit the net, seriously. 

33 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Czechia deserved to win that game.  They played a great defensive game. 

Canada deserved to lose.  They didn't show up until the 2nd period and hit the net, seriously. 

Too many cute passes that didn’t connect. Czechia did do a good job of boxing their net but Canada was sloppy. 

I've skipped the tournament and only watched highlights. I am disappointed for the Canadian team but happy for the other teams who seem to have successfully attain a great level. It bodes well for hockey.

7 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Canada just wasn't good enough this year. 

Bedard, Fantilli, Wright, Korchinski, Benson all could be in the tournament though, but arent as they are in the NHL. 

So yes, Team Canada wasn't good enough. 

But we are gonna hear a bunch of bullshit about how other countries have caught us in hockey talent, and it isn't true, cause in terms of talent, Canada is still producing. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Canada just wasn't good enough this year. 

To win gold? Maybe not, to win that game? Yeah they were.  They were playing cute hockey.  Cute passes, cute shots and cute plays. 

By 5 minutes in the third I got so sick of hearing Gord Miller say "JUST WIDE!"  They were too busy trying to pick corners and not making the goalie make a save.  You'll never score a goal by not hitting the net.  Make the goalie make the save.  I'd love to see the stat of how many times they missed the net.  Sure, some were from Czechia clogging up in front of the net, but a lot were just misses.

59 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

To win gold? Maybe not, to win that game? Yeah they were.  They were playing cute hockey.  Cute passes, cute shots and cute plays. 

By 5 minutes in the third I got so sick of hearing Gord Miller say "JUST WIDE!"  They were too busy trying to pick corners and not making the goalie make a save.  You'll never score a goal by not hitting the net.  Make the goalie make the save.  I'd love to see the stat of how many times they missed the net.  Sure, some were from Czechia clogging up in front of the net, but a lot were just misses.

That's what I meant, not good enough to win gold but good enough to go farther than they did. In one game anything can happen and your analysis is indicative of a team that didn't have the horses offensively. 

If they had the players that Commandant mentioned in a previous post than the result today likely would have been different and they would have been a much bigger threat to win the gold. 

I'm bummed Canada lost but I'd say they should have won that game.  Honestly, I always dislike seeing the Czechs win because they usually seem to be the least deserving team when they do.  ex:  their 1st 2 goals were fairly weak and the winning goal with 11 secs left was a fluke.

At 1 point in the 3rd the announcer said that 14 out of the last 17 shots were Canadas. Plus, like mentioned they missed the net a bunch.  Canada dominated about 35 mins of the game and out chanced the crap out of them but failed to score.

I get that this is tournament play so shit happens, but don’t like commentators saying how this is better for world hockey, yada yada when in reality the much poorer team is moving on. Canada dominated the flow of play for last 40 minutes.

shots were totally lopsided and o zone possession time as well. Canada couldn’t capitalize so they lost which is fair but the overall

level of hockey heading into medal rounds is significantly lower with Czechia moving forward. Canada appeared to need some more time together, bringing individuals together right before tournament leads to individual style of play.  More time to get habituated would have lead to a lot more finishing.

regarding commentators, 

Not sure how that is better for world hockey. I get the idea that it spreads around attention, money, etc but viewership is obv gonna be way down and having tried to watch other games (non US or Canada) it was almost a challenge to pay attention to the tedium, and lower quality. Obv some other strong teams but not all of them are.  Sweden obv quite strong.