2024 NHL Entry Draft

2 hours ago, Neech said:

True enough, we'll see if they use a high value pick on a Russian rather than a late-rounder. My complaint was more about the general anti-Russian bias of this era, where Russians have been passed over and excluded. Demidov doesn't seem to be on our radar based on the previous posts in this thread. Michkov would have gone before Will Smith fifteen years ago. 

Lol this catty personal shot is out of nowhere.

Intended as more sarcasm than catty ... but I 100% misread your post as more Habs/Michkov-centric, not the more general comment you intended.

2 hours ago, Neech said:

My complaint was more about the general anti-Russian bias of this era, where Russians have been passed over and excluded. Demidov doesn't seem to be on our radar based on the previous posts in this thread. Michkov would have gone before Will Smith fifteen years ago.

Fifteen years ago Putin wasn't really a factor, and the draft-age Russians were not signing long-term contracts with KHL teams.

8 hours ago, Commandant said:

Why are all russians off limits?  They preferred Reinbacher over Michkov but drafted Bogdan later.  I dont know we have enough evidence to say that this management is anti russian.

The Habs are not anti-Russian and they are not exactly off limits in that sense and its not just the Russians either but basically all Euros in the 1st rnd of this draft.  Whats the Habs window to be a contender exactly? Most people claim the next 2-3 years.  Therefore, why draft a player that they have an immediate need for but will take a minimum of 4-5 years to be ready?  ex:  the 17-18 y/o EU's will play in EU for 3+ yrs and then play AHL for 1-2 yrs.   Any NA player could be ready in 2-3 years.  The Habs don't have time to wait for 1st rnd picks that will take 4-5 yrs.

The Habs can wait for Bogdan but they cannot wait for years to get the sniper they need ASAP.

Why is a Euro taken in the top 10 going to need 4-5 years to be ready, while the NA will be ready in 2?

What is this theory based on, cause looking at NHL drafts of top 10 talent, its just not the case that they take 4-5 years. 

In fact, most who take longer than that end up busts. 

2 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Getting players over from the top European leagues and getting them from the KHL are two totally different kettles of fish.

Yes

With transfer agreements i have no idea why a team would need to wait 4-5 years for Euros taken top 10.

9 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Many mock drafts have Silayev in the top 5. Still hoping Lindstrom falls far enough so we can take him.

6'7" kid who hits a bit & can skate OK, i couldnt see too many GMs passing on him before he goes.

How would this choice be received if Hughes took another d-man in the top ten and didnt pick a forward, trade up/down, or simply trade pick for one.  

Ranked #5 by CONSOLIDATED RANKING
Ranked #10 by ELITEPROSPECTS.COM
Ranked #2 by TSN/BOB McKENZIE
Ranked #3 by TSN/CRAIG BUTTON
Ranked #15 by THN/FERRARI
Ranked #2 by THN/KENNEDY
Ranked #6 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
Ranked #3 by FCHOCKEY
Ranked #5 by DAILY FACEOFF
Ranked #2 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (EU Skaters)
Ranked #4 by SPORTSNET/COSENTINO
Ranked #5 by SPORTSNET/BUKALA
Ranked #7 by RECRUIT SCOUTING
Ranked #11 by DOBBERPROSPECTS
Ranked #8 by DRAFT PROSPECTS HOCKEY
Ranked #17 by SMAHT SCOUTING
Anton Silayev - Stats, Contract, Salary & More (eliteprospects.com)

5 minutes ago, DON said:

... How would this choice be received if Hughes took another d-man in the top ten and didnt pick a forward, trade up/down, or simply trade pick for one ...

I think the reaction to HuGo drafting another defenceman with their 1st should depend on who is available and what else they do at/around the draft (i.e. trades) ... but, realistically, many will instantly go absolutely NUTS.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I think the reaction to HuGo drafting another defenceman with their 1st should depend on who is available and what else they do at/around the draft (i.e. trades) ... but, realistically, many will instantly go absolutely NUTS.

Agreed,it would likely depend on other moves they make. They do need a forward more and I hope they draft a forward BUT if you have a chance to draft a guy who you are convinced would be an absolute stud 1st pairing defenseman than you have to really consider it as those guys are hard to find. From what I have read there are some really good defensemen available this year. Some people also love Sam Dickinson.

12 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Agreed,it would likely depend on other moves they make. They do need a forward more and I hope they draft a forward BUT if you have a chance to draft a guy who you are convinced would be an absolute stud 1st pairing defenseman than you have to really consider it as those guys are hard to find. From what I have read there are some really good defensemen available this year. Some people also love Sam Dickinson.

Yup, if then used Jets pick & a young d-man to add another young skilled forward, kinda like the Dach-Newhook deals, then folks might 'chill'?

3 hours ago, DON said:

6'7" kid who hits a bit & can skate OK, i couldnt see too many GMs passing on him before he goes.

How would this choice be received if Hughes took another d-man in the top ten and didnt pick a forward, trade up/down, or simply trade pick for one.  

Ranked #5 by CONSOLIDATED RANKING
Ranked #10 by ELITEPROSPECTS.COM
Ranked #2 by TSN/BOB McKENZIE
Ranked #3 by TSN/CRAIG BUTTON
Ranked #15 by THN/FERRARI
Ranked #2 by THN/KENNEDY
Ranked #6 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
Ranked #3 by FCHOCKEY
Ranked #5 by DAILY FACEOFF
Ranked #2 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (EU Skaters)
Ranked #4 by SPORTSNET/COSENTINO
Ranked #5 by SPORTSNET/BUKALA
Ranked #7 by RECRUIT SCOUTING
Ranked #11 by DOBBERPROSPECTS
Ranked #8 by DRAFT PROSPECTS HOCKEY
Ranked #17 by SMAHT SCOUTING
Anton Silayev - Stats, Contract, Salary & More (eliteprospects.com)

I hate the draft by need approach. Last year was a forward heavy draft and we passed on Michkov and Leonard. This year if a dman is clearly better than the available forwards, I’d still take the dman.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DON said:

Yup, if then used Jets pick & a young d-man to add another young skilled forward, kinda like the Dach-Newhook deals, then folks might 'chill'?

I’d rather do that as well, but with the top 5 picks, you should be going after a can’t miss top line forward, or top pairing dman. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Thats exactly why I think Guhle could be traded.  Any d-man picked in the top 10 would likely be as good as Guhle if not better.

Silayev will likely go top 3.  I've heard him described as a cross between Chara and Pronger.

Personally, I want Lindstrom though.  I've heard him being compared with Lindros.

I don't know a ton about Celebrini because its unlikely the Habs will get him but I find it hard to believe that he's the consensus for the 1st over all pick.

It seems there would be a good chance that Silayev and Lindstrom could have better careers.  I get the same impression with Tiggy being a dark horse and I think he'll be better than numerous forwards that are ranked higher than him.

51 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I don't know a ton about Celebrini because its unlikely the Habs will get him but I find it hard to believe that he's the consensus for the 1st over all pick.

You might be the only one wondering if Celebrini is the consensus top pick.  It's pretty much a lock that he's the number one pick and I don't think it's all that close.

39 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

You might be the only one wondering if Celebrini is the consensus top pick.  It's pretty much a lock that he's the number one pick and I don't think it's all that close.

I know he is a lock at 1st so I realize he must be the #1 guy.  My point is that is surprising when Silayev will be a beast and Lindstrom is being compared to Lindros.  In other draft years it seems like both of those guys could easily be 1st over all picks. 

It doesn't seem plausible that a Chara/Pronger hybrid and a Lindros aren't considered a consensus top 3 picks.  It's seems unreal that somebody is higher than them, so Celebrini must be insanely good or the scouts are all wrong - which is unlikely. 

12 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I know he is a lock at 1st so I realize he must be the #1 guy.  My point is that is surprising when Silayev will be a beast and Lindstrom is being compared to Lindros.  In other draft years it seems like both of those guys could easily be 1st over all picks. 

writers like to use "descriptions" to give people an idea of the style of player, not as predictions/projections of NHL performance ... as much as based on what I've read I like Lindstorm, I haven't seen anyone project him as being the second-coming of Lindros.

2 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Thats exactly why I think Guhle could be traded.  Any d-man picked in the top 10 would likely be as good as Guhle if not better.

Silayev will likely go top 3.  I've heard him described as a cross between Chara and Pronger.

Personally, I want Lindstrom though.  I've heard him being compared with Lindros.

It seems there would be a good chance that Silayev and Lindstrom could have better careers.  I get the same impression with Tiggy being a dark horse and I think he'll be better than numerous forwards that are ranked higher than him.

Do you actually watch these players play?  You seem convinced on things but I dont know how many games of theirs you are actually watching.  The views are out there.

Comparing players to Lindros

Wondering if Celebrini is really the number 1.

Like i dont know what to say to these things.

9 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Do you actually watch these players play?  You seem convinced on things but I dont know how many games of theirs you are actually watching.  The views are out there.

Comparing players to Lindros

Wondering if Celebrini is really the number 1.

Like i dont know what to say to these things.

I'm not questioning that Celebrini is #1, I'm surprised he's ranked so much further ahead than 2 players that are being compared to be the next Pronger/Chara and Lindros.  

I'm not making any comparisons at all, I'm simply repeating what I've heard other people say about them.  

Who is the Russian F in the top 5 by most scouts being compared to?  Is he touted as the next Bure or Datsyuk?  Is Helenius being touted as the next Selanne?  

It seems odd to me that Silayev and Lindstrom aren't ranked higher and locks in the top 3.  

2 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

The Flyers traded the smaller Forsberg for the bigger, stronger Lindros. How did that deal work out for them? If we win the lottery, we should be taking the smaller Celebrini.

Just now, Sir_Boagalott said:

I'm not making any comparisons at all, I'm simply repeating what I've heard other people say about them.  

Take the comparisons that various media types use with a large grain of salt ... as I said above, they are to "paint a picture" of what type/style of player to expect ... NOT projections/predictions of what the player will be in the NHL ... a site like Elite Prospects gives a nice cross-section of opinions ... Lindstrom ranges from #3 to #14 ... the "average" is 6th.

BTW, I ignore Central Scouting because of their split lists for North American Skaters, European Skaters, /North American Goalies and European goalies ... why not split skaters into forwards and defenceman as well?

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

The Flyers traded the smaller Forsberg for the bigger, stronger Lindros. How did that deal work out for them?

Well ... Forsberg won 2 Cups and Lindros won zero ... but Lindros score 100+ more goals.