2024 NHL Entry Draft

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

... stars are aging and should be traded while the market value is still relatively high.

The Pens "stars" (Crosby, Malkin, Rust, Letang, Karlsson), as well as Carter have NMCs ... so they have to be willing to be traded.

6 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

The Pens "stars" (Crosby, Malkin, Rust, Letang, Karlsson), as well as Carter have NMCs ... so they have to be willing to be traded.

They would likely be willing if they were going to a contender. They should trade them all this summer and do a complete rebuild. That way their 2nd round pick next year will be a good one. 

9 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

They would likely be willing if they were going to a contender. They should trade them all this summer and do a complete rebuild. That way their 2nd round pick next year will be a good one. 

Rust and Karlsson maybe (although Erik's 3 more years @ $10M AAV would likely be the hardest to move) ... but Crosby, Letang and Malkin may well want to be "Pens for life", unless they are going to a team with a close friend with whom they want to play (e.g., Crosby with MacKinnon in Colorado).

5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I feel sorry for Dubas ... he is between a rock and a hard place ... an aging roster of stars ... just out of the wild card ... ownership seemingly not open to a rebuild ... not a lot of roster flexibility in so much as they have 6 players with NMCs and 4 with M-NTCs ... Pens do have $12.7M in cap space (14 players signed). 

Are you kidding me?  I agree with PK - not sure what Dubas is getting paid $7m for???

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C512h0KM1G6/?igsh=bDFsd3J3c3Zxb253

7 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I just said it would be easier to move up with Winnipeg's pick than their own ... predicted nothing.

Just asking your opinion, not saying good/bad.

I am predicting a trade of that pick, but only going on Hughes 1st 2 draft dealings thats all.

He said he did try and trade up the 1st year but no takers, so seems pretty likely he will be again be trying to swing some kind of deal(s) in 2 months.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Are you kidding me?  I agree with PK - not sure what Dubas is getting paid $7m for???

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C512h0KM1G6/?igsh=bDFsd3J3c3Zxb253

The thing I don't get with Dubas is that he doesn't seem to know which way to go. He trades for Karlsson which seems to indicate he is going all in with an aging core and then he trades Guentzel who is still in his prime for young players/picks at the deadline??  Is he all in or doing a rebuild??  I think you have to do one or the other not a bit of both. 

Awesome,  now to get greedy we need Vancouver to beat Winnipeg in a nothing game for both teams tomorrow night. Winnipeg can pass the 2 Florida teams in points with a win.  Then we need Winnipeg to lose in the 1st 2 rounds but they seem to have found their game at the right time. 

As long as the 2 lotteries are won by teams ahead of the Habs they might be able to get Lindstrom or Iginla for sure if they want him.   

At 1 point I was wondering if Hughes might surprise everybody and draft another d-man, but he has since said that he wont.  I pondered if that was intentional misdirection but I doubt he would publicly lie about it.   However, imagine the scenario that Celebrini, Demidov, Lindstrom, and Iginla are all taken before the 5th pick.  That could possibly change things.

No matter what happens they will get a great player.

I hope this is the last season we are hoping to end up 5th from the bottom in a long time. Lets hope its wild card battle next year. I want to hope for wins.

6 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

As long as the 2 lotteries are won by teams ahead of the Habs they might be able to get Lindstrom or Iginla for sure if they want him.   

At 1 point I was wondering if Hughes might surprise everybody and draft another d-man, but he has since said that he wont.  I pondered if that was intentional misdirection but I doubt he would publicly lie about it.   However, imagine the scenario that Celebrini, Demidov, Lindstrom, and Iginla are all taken before the 5th pick.  That could possibly change things.

No matter what happens they will get a great player.

He just.said yesterday that if D was the clear best player, hed take him.

What are you talking about?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

My only complaint is that June 28 is too far away. I want to know now 🥳

Well, on May 6th or 7th will find out what spot.

Jets vs Aves, i think it is, assume Aves will be favored?

Montreal Canadiens Draft Lottery Odds Officially Locked In (msn.com)

First Overall: 8.5 percent

Second Overall: 8.6 percent

Third Overall: 0.3 percent

Fourth Overall: N/A

Fifth Overall: 24.5 percent

Sixth Overall: 44 percent
Seventh Overall: 14.2 percent.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

He just.said yesterday that if D was the clear best player, hed take him.

What are you talking about?

That's what he said, he also said in an interview with Servalli not that long ago that if the best player was a Left Defensemen they "might" consider trading down. 

I think the bottom line is that Hughes is a smart cookie and will keep all options open. Everything he says is carefully measured as most teams like to keep information about who they might draft hidden to maintain maximum leverage in case of any trading.  Just glad the Coyotes won last night.