Monahan Traded to Winnipeg for 2024 1st+

26 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

While Monahan is having a slightly better season this year (4 more goals, one fewer assist), since 19/20 Lindholm has significantly out-performed Monahan ... that may have been in large part due to injuries, but GMs care about such things.

But lindholm is 4× the defensive player... without the injuries and with more offensive upside

It would have been kind of funny had the Habs also reacquired their 2024 2nd round pick from the Jets. That is a well traveled pick...first to AZ, then to LA, then to the Jets.

• Like 1

If someone told me when the season started we would get a 1st + for Monahan I would have been surprised.    If we waited until the deadline we could have got someone to pay a little more but also had a chance of him getting injured and receive nothing.  I’m happy with the return.  Another way to think about is which player will sign for more on the open market after this year.  I feel Lindholm will get a couple more million per year and a few extra years of term.  Kinda shows the confidence teams have in them.  But that’s just my opinion. 

• Like 1

2 1st round picks for some cap space and no salary retained. That is some great asset management. I reckon the 2nd half may be worse than the 1st half. Evans is a 4th line centre, not a 2nd line.

10 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I wonder if there is another “damaged goods” C out there that some team will pay us to take off their cap, and yet will help us at C - ? 🤔 Can lightning strike twice? 

I obviously have no idea what Hughes is up to but my gut feeling is that the Habs are not trading anyone else this year. 

I expect the Habs to take on a cap dump or be a retention mule this deadline. 

I also expect that Hughes will use our considerable assets to net us a serious top 6 forward this offseason. 

Exciting times 

10 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I wonder if there is another “damaged goods” C out there that some team will pay us to take off their cap, and yet will help us at C - ? 🤔 Can lightning strike twice? 

Jack Rostolvic CBJ ?

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Jack Rostolvic CBJ ?

You need to find a struggling, overpaid centre on a playoff team, not a non-playoff one.  

The idea would be the playoff team wants out of the contract so they have cap space to add someone else.

54 minutes ago, Commandant said:

You need to find a struggling, overpaid centre on a playoff team, not a non-playoff one.  

The idea would be the playoff team wants out of the contract so they have cap space to add someone else.

@dlbalr mentioned elsewhere Ryan Johansen, Radek Faksa and Tyson Jost.

With Faksa playing 4th line minutes, Dallas might well be happily rid of him ... but I don't know that they would pay a "Monahan-ish premium" to do so ... with another year on his contract a trade would depend on whether Dallas would "give" would be enough to make it worth HuGo's while ... unless a trade was expanded ... but not certain what the Habs have that the Stars would want.

Johansen has been a but for the Avs but unless they first find an upgrade at centre it seems unlikely they trade him ... but Habs could be useful "3rd team" in such a trade ... but again, there is another year on his contract with a $4M AAV ... but would Colorado both "pay-the-price" for an upgrade at centre and for the Habs to take on Johansen?

Jost is playing in Rochester, he is only costing the Sabres $850K on the salary cap ... AND ... the salary cap is not an issue for them ... so unless Pegula wants to be rid of his actual salary, it could either be a minor "NHL trade" (i.e., late/later round pick) or an "AHL trade" that gives the Americans something they need to compete with Laval for a playoff spot ... a pick seems unlikely ... Jost was never had faceoff success in the NHL so I can't see the rest of the season being an audition as a possible 24/25 4C, which could then have allowed Evans to be dealt after the season.

Edited by GHT120
Added Jost

33 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Jost is playing in Rochester, he is only costing the Sabres $850K on the salary cap ... AND ... the salary cap is not an issue for them ... so unless Pegula wants to be rid of his actual salary, it could either be a minor "NHL trade" (i.e., late/later round pick) or an "AHL trade" that gives the Americans something they need to compete with Laval for a playoff spot ... a pick seems unlikely ... Jost was never had faceoff success in the NHL so I can't see the rest of the season being an audition as a possible 24/25 4C, which could then have allowed Evans to be dealt after the season.

My idea with Jost is a future considerations type of trade.  Here's a warm body that can play down the stretch without taking away from Laval's roster while Pegula saves a few bucks (not inconsequential for a lower-budget team).  I'm not even thinking of him as a longer-term potential audition, just a short-term field filler that costs nothing to acquire and puts less stress on Laval for their playoff push.

54 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

My idea with Jost is a future considerations type of trade.  Here's a warm body that can play down the stretch without taking away from Laval's roster while Pegula saves a few bucks (not inconsequential for a lower-budget team).  I'm not even thinking of him as a longer-term potential audition, just a short-term field filler that costs nothing to acquire and puts less stress on Laval for their playoff push.

Agreed ... the unknown is what, if any, premium does Buffalo place on Rochester making the playoffs and how much do they feel that Jost helps that if it is a goal ... hence my reference to the possibility of an "AHL trade".

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Agreed ... the unknown is what, if any, premium does Buffalo place on Rochester making the playoffs and how much do they feel that Jost helps that if it is a goal ... hence my reference to the possibility of an "AHL trade".

Their GM was given a directive to cut the AHL payroll this season and then Buffalo wound up waiving and assigning Comrie, Bryson, Stillman, and Jost down.  Playoffs aside, I think they'd rather save the money first and foremost since the Amerks are way over budget.  They also have enough depth that Jost or no Jost, they should be a playoff team.

Not that is all important; but, two The Athletic folks who rated of deal gave Hughes an  A+.

... and Jets C+ or something

I think the only complaints on deal i heard at all, were from some HabsFans initially expecting more.

Now, Four 1st round picks in next 2 years, Hughes must be licking his chops and thinking of options it gives him to add a young blue chip forward.

https://habather.ca/2024/02/03/in-the-monahan-trade-hughes-gave-habs-fans-something-to-cheer-about/

5 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Their GM was given a directive to cut the AHL payroll this season and then Buffalo wound up waiving and assigning Comrie, Bryson, Stillman, and Jost down.  Playoffs aside, I think they'd rather save the money first and foremost since the Amerks are way over budget.  They also have enough depth that Jost or no Jost, they should be a playoff team.

In that case ... "futures" away ... I'd prefer to leave as many players in Laval for as long as possible.

Id definitely take Jost for futures.  Hes the most attractive of the three options for me due to the expiring contract.

The other two are both signed for next year, so its absolutely about getting an asset with them in order to take the contract on.  Not sure what that is but they have negative value.