Gignac on waivers, White claimed

Canadiens claim Colin White from Pittsburgh; place Brandon Gignac on waivers  | Montréal Canadiens (nhl.com)

Seems like a bit of an odd minor move to me, but what do I know. I guess they feel the need for a little more veteran FW experience in the organization.

5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Canadiens claim Colin White from Pittsburgh; place Brandon Gignac on waivers  | Montréal Canadiens (nhl.com)

Seems like a bit of an odd minor move to me, but what do I know. I guess they feel the need for a little more veteran FW experience in the organization.

I think they expect Gignac to clear thanks to the two-year contract (with $150K minimum) that he signed.

Barry, err, Colin White is a centre as well so I assume they need Gignac in Laval and thus White will fill in.

8 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It does seem like an odd move. White was a very good prospect at one point but that was a long time ago. He has shuffled around a lot. Obviously Hughes must think he is an upgrade over Gignac or there are other moves coming. 

2 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I think they expect Gignac to clear thanks to the two-year contract (with $150K minimum) that he signed.

Barry, err, Colin White is a centre as well so I assume they need Gignac in Laval and thus White will fill in.

I wonder if they're concerned that the team has looked unduly terrible since losing Monahan and want White to help stabilize the situation at C a bit. Makes sense, especially if Gignac clears.

7 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That makes sense. Laval could really use Gignac. 

I would lean more to the "help Laval" side and less to "meets a Habs need" side ... although MSL/Hughes will undoubtedly speak to what White "brings" when asked ... loonnngggg-shot, an Evans trade is in the works.

14 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

It’s hilarious that he plays tonight against his old team. 

Didn't we have a similar trade like that? Sharks or Kings a few years back. Seem to remember an old trade where they just had to change locker rooms.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I wonder if they're concerned that the team has looked unduly terrible since losing Monahan and want White to help stabilize the situation at C a bit. Makes sense, especially if Gignac clears.

Not sure White is really a stabilizer.  Honestly, I'm not sure he's a better player than Gignac.  

1 hour ago, huzer said:

I seem to remember minor rumblings around the Habs signing White after the Sens bought him out. Not there's any relevancy of that story to the waiver claim today. 

That was largely speculative with Hughes being his old agent.

43 minutes ago, huzer said:

Didn't we have a similar trade like that? Sharks or Kings a few years back. Seem to remember an old trade where they just had to change locker rooms.

Glen Metropolit - claimed from Philly Feb. 27/09, played against Philly for Montreal that same night.  How I remembered the player is beyond me (I had to look up the date just to be sure).

3 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Glen Metropolit - claimed from Philly Feb. 27/09, played against Philly for Montreal that same night.  How I remembered the player is beyond me (I had to look up the date just to be sure).

I liked him. Can’t remember if he was overpaid, but I thought he was a solid 4th liner with ability to move up the line up. Slow though, I think.  Maybe selective memory.

Mike Johnson on TSN690 this afternoon ... Colin White is a legitimate NHL player ... average skating, average speed, average skills, but a legitimate NHL player

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Mike Johnson on TSN690 this afternoon ... Colin White is a legitimate NHL player ... average skating, average speed, average skills, but a legitimate NHL player

A few years ago, that was the case but there's a reason he had to settle for a two-way deal and cleared waivers earlier in the year.  He wasn't even doing much in the minors this season let alone being a legitimate NHL player.  He's this year's Chris Tierney, a warm body. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I liked Metro! Wasn’t he used on the PP, though, to the general rage of the fanbase? I forget if it was him or someone else. He had a cool name to boot.

Wasn't he like our leading pp points guy one season haha

3 hours ago, Plutarch said:

Wasn't he like our leading pp points guy one season haha

Points, no, but he was tied for the lead in PPGs with Gionta (10) in his lone full season with the Habs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Points, no, but he was tied for the lead in PPGs with Gionta (10) in his lone full season with the Habs.

I remember people on this board absolutely eviscerating The Count for using him on the PP so much. My rebuttal was that he was the only guy who reliably went to the net, so he got the gig. 🤷‍♂️

It seemed weird to me that he couldn’t get another contract after a season in which he played a useful role on the Habs and got 16 goals, but I guess that’s life when you’re a 30+ journeyman.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2024 at 2:46 PM, BCHabnut said:

I liked him. Can’t remember if he was overpaid, but I thought he was a solid 4th liner with ability to move up the line up. Slow though, I think.  Maybe selective memory.

I don’t like him, because die some idiotic reason he was in the PP. good in the draw, but should be about the last choice for the PP!!!

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don’t like him, because die some idiotic reason he was in the PP. good in the draw, but should be about the last choice for the PP!!!

How can he be the "last choice" for the PP on a team on which he tied for PP goals?

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

How can he be the "last choice" for the PP on a team on which he tied for PP goals?

Here we are re-litigating this argument, LOL. 

I was convinced at the time that Metro was being used on the PP because he was the only damned player on the entire team that actually went to the net and was willing to stand in front of it on the power play. It wasn’t a case of The Count being a village idiot - more like, his other players just were not giving him what he needed in that capacity. And look, the guy got 16 goals that year, so it’s not like he was cement hands out there.

Finally: the Habs were 2nd overall in PP that year! Obviously JM was doing something right. https://www.covers.com/sport/hockey/nhl/statistics/team-powerplay/2009-2010

8 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Here we are re-litigating this argument, LOL. 

I was convinced at the time that Metro was being used on the PP because he was the only damned player on the entire team that actually went to the net and was willing to stand in front of it on the power play. It wasn’t a case of The Count being a village idiot - more like, his other players just were not giving him what he needed in that capacity. And look, the guy got 16 goals that year, so it’s not like he was cement hands out there.

Finally: the Habs were 2nd overall in PP that year! Obviously JM was doing something right. https://www.covers.com/sport/hockey/nhl/statistics/team-powerplay/2009-2010

Not re-litigating his use ... ideally, he should not have been, which was reflected in his never playing in the NHL again ... just stating the obvious that if he tied for PP goals lead there obviously weren't better choices available ... not "support" for Metro, rather a reminder of how bad that team was (5th fewest goals scored in the NHL that season).

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

a team with Markov, as QB should have no issues scoring. The team had Pleks, the squid, Gionta, the two Kostitsyn brothers - and the count was on ragging Sergei from the first practice with the team.  Maxpac wanted to stay in the minors rather than play in the plugging line when the count was the coach. Benoit chicken legs was also in the doghouse for the entire duration under the count. Basically, all of the young players we had were being held to a MUCH higher standard than the veteran - particularly the Gomez who was being paid $7m+ but couldn’t even put up 60 points. There were a LOT of better options then metro!