Game 81 - Montréal vs Detroit - 7:00 pm - April 15, 2024

GHT120

17 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Chairot is the same Dman that loves to shoot the puck but can’t hit the net. 

Fond memories friend. 

And he can still block shots, too.

12 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Whew

Habs lose the next one in regulation and it’s settled with pick #5. 

Exciting game for sure

Whew is right. Detroit would have been eliminated with only 1 point tonight and they would have likely mailed it in tomorrow. I expect a better effort from Detroit tomorrow night. 

Gally has had a strong second half of the year. Gives me hope that he can contribute to a winning team next year!

What a dramatic finish with Gostisbehere leaping to keep the puck in and Raymond sniping the tying goal. Happy for Detroit, I'd rather see them make it than Washington.

Nice to see Hutson get on the scoresheet, but too bad we didn't get a powerplay opportunity for him to work his magic. He did look pretty slippery on his scoring play!

What are we going to do with this logjam of defensive prospects? Five years ago we would have killed for just Jordan Harris, let alone all the others ahead of him.

Caufield 4 shots.

Gallagher with his14th- 15th goals and him pushing Hutson up, for his assist was funny.

Nice goal by Barron.

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Hutson was fun to watch, but as dangerous as he was offensively, there were some rookie adventures in the Habs end too. 

I’ll take it any day of the week. 

The kid has mad stick handling skills. 

On a side note, he legit looks like he’s 16yrs old. 

16 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Right now it's fun. 

Going forward he has some things to work on and might need to start in the AHL next year. 

And I’m totally cool with that. 

Curious to see how Mallioux does tomorrow..

13 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Good result. But I gotta say, I want to see next year's team be a LOT better at holding leads.

I'm not sure they can be much worse when it comes to that.

39 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Agreed. But I would not be surprised at all if we are, a year from now, rending our garments over key blown leads that were the difference between making and missing the playoffs.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

The way Detroit had us hemmed in our zone in the third was ridiculous. I think they hit the post or crossbar around 8 or 9 times during the 2nd and 3rd periods. It really highlighted our weakness on D.

Being able to hold leads is dependent on capability, and IMO our D still sucks. I get we were missing Guhle who is probably our best all round Dman, but we still suck on D even with him, and I think we will continue to suck on D until guys like Savard or Kovachavic are used as strictly bottom pairing 6th/7th dman and not playing in the top 4.

How far our D progresses is going to depend on the pace that our current young Dmen (Guhle, Harris, Barron, Wifi), continue to progress and whether at least one of Hutson, Reinbacher, Mailloux are viable options as upgrades in our top 4.

lastly, having Dach (and hopefully one other acquired scoring threat on the second line should help us not be in trouble as much when a line other than the Suzuki line is out there. 

we can’t have a lineup where Ylonen, Pezatta, RHP, and Anderson are in the lineup on the same night. I’ll also add that Dvorak also looked like crap last night. We had no answer for Larkin last night and it was pretty impresssive the way Raymond scored the winner after taking some pretty hard hits.

If we have an infusion of talent and a substantial upgrade  in the middle six (from our roster I think that would only be Dach, Newhook, and Roy), and the Armia-Evans-Gallagher is the the 4th line, we can make a push to be a playoff team. But that means we basically need one legit scorer for the second line, and 2/3 of the third line.

lots to like with the young players we have, but still a lot of holes to fill.

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

The way Detroit had us hemmed in our zone in the third was ridiculous. I think they hit the post or crossbar around 8 or 9 times during the 2nd and 3rd periods. It really highlighted our weakness on D.

(...)

If we have an infusion of talent and a substantial upgrade  in the middle six (from our roster I think that would only be Dach, Newhook, and Roy), and the Armia-Evans-Gallagher is the the 4th line, we can make a push to be a playoff team. But that means we basically need one legit scorer for the second line, and 2/3 of the third line.

... weakness on D, made worse by the absence of Guhle and Xhekaj. But at least on D, I think we can expect steady improvement over the next handful of years as our prospects mature into NHL players, and then grow their skills in their first few years in the league.

Forwards are more challenging. Top line (Caufield, Suzuki, Slafkovsky) looks good. Dach, Newhook and Roy could potentially be a second line, or else give us a strong 3C (if we have another top-six winger from somewhere).

Bottom-six, though, we have the three you identified (Armia, Evans and Gallagher), plus Dvorak and Anderson. RHP? Heineman? Probably none of Pezzetta or Ylonen, unless as a 13th forward. I expect Beck and Mesar will need time in the AHL, as will likely any 2024 draft pick. That's not a super-encouraging bottom six, no matter how you arrange it, so we would need to hope that Hughes can trade picks and/or D prospects for some credible forward strength. Or sign Monahan to a reasonable UFA contract.

28 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

... weakness on D, made worse by the absence of Guhle and Xhekaj. But at least on D, I think we can expect steady improvement over the next handful of years as our prospects mature into NHL players, and then grow their skills in their first few years in the league.

Forwards are more challenging. Top line (Caufield, Suzuki, Slafkovsky) looks good. Dach, Newhook and Roy could potentially be a second line, or else give us a strong 3C (if we have another top-six winger from somewhere).

Bottom-six, though, we have the three you identified (Armia, Evans and Gallagher), plus Dvorak and Anderson. RHP? Heineman? Probably none of Pezzetta or Ylonen, unless as a 13th forward. I expect Beck and Mesar will need time in the AHL, as will likely any 2024 draft pick. That's not a super-encouraging bottom six, no matter how you arrange it, so we would need to hope that Hughes can trade picks and/or D prospects for some credible forward strength. Or sign Monahan to a reasonable UFA contract.

I-M-O this summer is not the time to be signing 9 UFA forwards ... unless (in the I win the LottoMax tonight fantasyland) Reinhart, Marchessault, Guentzel or Monahan want to accept a VERY Habs-friendly contract ... OR ... HuGo somehow manage to clear out some of the dead/dead-ish wood, bad contracts and are looking for "bridge veterans".

They need to see how Roy develops at the NHL level ... whether/how soon Heineman and/or 2024-1st-rounder might be NHL ready ... how Mesar / Beck / Baby Xhekaj / Tuch do in the AHL ... whether a Dach/Newhook-ish "draft trade" pans out ... so next year HuGo et al can plan for 25-26 and beyond without having spots blocked by "try to make the playoffs in 24-25" signings ... I'm not expecting a real playoff push until 25-26.