2023/2024 season playoff discussion

Leafs or Bruins?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins that series?

• Boston
    • Leafs

I am surprised more people taking the Avs as Winnipeg is going into the playoffs on a heater and has far better goaltending. I will be very surprised if the Avs win that series. I think Boston/Toronto is a toss up. I think the Leafs superior talent wins out here. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think the Leafs superior talent wins out here. 

Let's hope not.

EA NHL 24 simulator has the Canucks vs Bruins in the Finals with Vancouver winning in 7 🤪 Naturally this has caused considerable amusement on my Facebook feed.

And someone made fun of me guessing Aves as likely favorites.:D

Aves superstar skaters vs Vezina calibre goalie.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Let's hope not.

EA NHL 24 simulator has the Canucks vs Bruins in the Finals with Vancouver winning in 7 🤪 Naturally this has caused considerable amusement on my Facebook feed.

I hope not too but what I think and what I hope are often two different things. 

58 minutes ago, DON said:

And someone made fun of me guessing Aves as likely favorites.:D

Aves superstar skaters vs Vezina calibre goalie.

Don't forget Drouin is hurt.  LOL

Winnipeg has some pretty good skaters too. 

4 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Playoffs starting tonight…difficult to choose between Toronto and Boston because I want them both to lose. 

Still a leaf loss in the first round would be sweet. 

This pic is fan votes about series winners:

IMG_0383.jpeg

Man choosing who to win in this series is like deciding whether you’d rather have cancer or a brain tumour! That said, as much as I hate the bruins, I don’t want to ever see the leafs win anything other than the longest streak without a cup award!

12 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Man choosing who to win in this series is like deciding whether you’d rather have cancer or a brain tumour! 

No it's not. It's an easy decision.  I find it easy to cheer for the Bruins in this series. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Fells weird to be cheering for Boston.

Doesn’t feel weird at all. 

I loathe Toronto like I loathe nothing else in the world. 

May they PLEASE annihilate them. 

Again. 

4 minutes ago, Helmethead said:

Doesn’t feel weird at all. 

I loathe Toronto like I loathe nothing else in the world. 

May they PLEASE annihilate them. 

Again. 

That pretty much sums up how I feel. Not the 1st time I have cheered for Boston in the playoffs and as long as they keep playing the Leafs in the playoffs, it won't be the last time.  Doesn't feel weird at all. 

It’s amazing to watch the leafs lose in the playoffs. 

I think it’s a mistake to play one of the highest skilled players in the NHL, Mathews with two lunch pail type players. 

I get spreading your talent around so it’s tougher to shut everyone down but you’re wasting generational talent IMO. 

Maybe Nylander takes a spot there. 

Just now, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That pretty much sums up how I feel. Not the 1st time I have cheered for Boston in the playoffs and as long as they keep playing the Leafs in the playoffs, it won't be the last time.  Doesn't feel weird at all. 

Trust me as someone who lives in New England it pains me tremendously. 

However I will root for the bruins 100 times over than having Toronto slay one of their many demons. 

Also, TO better hope nylander is back asap otherwise this reeks of sweep. 

He’s their only proven big game player. 

3 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

There was a time when I wouldn’t hesitate to cheer for the leafs over the bruins - hated when they started beating us with the Moog-Neely-Bourque teams, and even more so with the Chara (nearly decapitated MaxPac), Lucic (still remembering him taking down Komisarik from behind in a playoff series - he’d probably win in a fair fight anyway, which made it even worse), I also loathe Jack Edwards (glad he is done this year), even more then any of the pro-Leaf TSN/sportsnet/hockey night in Canada turds.  If the bruins hadn’t won the year Chara tried to murder Maxpac, I’d probably be rooting for the leafs, so Boston could continue I. Its misery. But that long steak is already over, so I guess id rather have those turds win over the leafs.

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

There was a time when I wouldn’t hesitate to cheer for the leafs over the bruins - hated when they started beating us with the Moog-Neely-Bourque teams, and even more so with the Chara (nearly decapitated MaxPac), Lucic (still remembering him taking down Komisarik from behind in a playoff series - he’d probably win in a fair fight anyway, which made it even worse), I also loathe Jack Edwards (glad he is done this year), even more then any of the pro-Leaf TSN/sportsnet/hockey night in Canada turds.  If the bruins hadn’t won the year Chara tried to murder Maxpac, I’d probably be rooting for the leafs, so Boston could continue I. Its misery. But that long steak is already over, so I guess id rather have those turds win over the leafs.

This sums it up for me. My hate of the bruins comes from decades (minus the last ten years) of intense competition against a worthy (dirty) foe. The hate of the leafs is based only on the media and their fan base. If I was hate cheering properly, I would be hate cheering against boston, because I truly hate many players who have played for them. Including rat boy and their president Neely. And a huge list of their alumni. I don't actually hate anyone on TO. I actually like Matthews. But I still want boston, who I have reason to hate, to beat the leafs just so the media and fans can be let down. They won't shut up, but at least I can revel in their pain.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

The hate of the leafs is based only on the media and their fan base. If I was hate cheering properly, I would be hate cheering against boston, because I truly hate many players who have played for them. Including rat boy and their president Neely. And a huge list of their alumni. I don't actually hate anyone on TO. I actually like Matthews. But I still want boston, who I have reason to hate, to beat the leafs just so the media and fans can be let down. They won't shut up, but at least I can revel in their pain.

The media and fan base is more than enough for me. I never had anything against Cam Neely, tremendous power forward, the kind of player any team would want. It's true Jack Edwards is a huge homer, can't stand him but not a fan of Reaves either, acted like a big tough guy with Arber out of the lineup. 

In hockey terms the BBs are I-M-O the far greater rival ... but I don't have to put up with nearly as many obnoxious BBs fans if they win ... AND ... I don't have to put up with having their win stuffed down my throat by Boston media the way I/we will have to live with media from the centre of the universe crowing like they've "won the Cup ten years in a row" if they win in the first round ... the issue for me is less hockey-related and simply TORONTO-related.

The leaf board over at HF is complete chaos 🎉🥳🎉

I hope for a sweep 🧹 

I also hope that the leafs start the game with Reeves again and the Bruins score on their first shot again. I hope the leafs give 20+ minutes to their fourth line

Keefe is a terrible coach 

I heartily endorse the general sentiment. The Bruins are an authentic rival, and a truly great (and duly hated) opponent over the years; the Leafs are a creation of the TO hype machine. No amount of suffering is too much for them. And I know that if they win, we will NEVER hear the end of it - celebrated over and over on HNIC and the national media as the Greatest Day in Hockey History, universally beloved, blablablablah. Over and over, year after year, until we die.

No thanks.

The two worst things that could possibly happen to me as a hockey fan are these:

1. The Habs fold and leave town. 

2. The Leafs win the Cup.

I'm pulling for the Bruins 100% in this series. I'll cheer against them thereafter. 

• Like 2

I'm hoping for a Bruins sweep, with all 4 games being lopsided .  I want maximum pain and suffering for the Leafs and their fans, creating absolute chaos for the Leafs organization over the offseason.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

It’s amazing to watch the leafs lose in the playoffs. 

I think it’s a mistake to play one of the highest skilled players in the NHL, Mathews with two lunch pail type players. 

I get spreading your talent around so it’s tougher to shut everyone down but you’re wasting generational talent IMO. 

Maybe Nylander takes a spot there. 

Pretty sure they tried to force that pairing for a couple of season and Matthews and Nylander don't mesh well on a line together.  Nylander is too much of a shooter to be with Matthews.  I think the idea was, in the absence of Marner, put Matthews with 2 players to grind it out for him and get him the puck. 

3 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

I'm hoping for a Bruins sweep, with all 4 games being lopsided .  I want maximum pain and suffering for the Leafs and their fans, creating absolute chaos for the Leafs organization over the offseason.

Last one in OT so the Leaf's fans can cry about how the league and refs are against Toronto.

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Keefe is a terrible coach 

Well, i hope he stays there for the rebuild. But imagine will clean house if lose in 1st round.

• tomh009 changed the title to 2023/2024 season playoff discussion