2023/2024 season playoff discussion

Leafs or Bruins?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins that series?

• Boston
    • Leafs

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I heartily endorse the general sentiment. The Bruins are an authentic rival, and a truly great (and duly hated) opponent over the years; the Leafs are a creation of the TO hype machine. No amount of suffering is too much for them. And I know that if they win, we will NEVER hear the end of it - celebrated over and over on HNIC and the national media as the Greatest Day in Hockey History, universally beloved, blablablablah. Over and over, year after year, until we die.

No thanks.

The two worst things that could possibly happen to me as a hockey fan are these:

1. The Habs fold and leave town. 

2. The Leafs win the Cup.

I'm pulling for the Bruins 100% in this series. I'll cheer against them thereafter. 

I tried to find something in your statement I could even marginally disagree with but I couldn't.   If (heaven forbid) the Leafs win the cup my use of any type of media will plummet substantially. 

2 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Schadenfreude is a miserable trait to have but I will admit to being guilty of this when it comes to a certain hockey team and their fan base. Guilty as charged, maybe I am just a miserable human being? 

Nah, you're just a true-bleu-blanc-et-rouge Habs fan 😉 Welcome to the nether regions of the soul, brother!

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Nah, you're just a true-bleu-blanc-et-rouge Habs fan 😉 Welcome to the nether regions of the soul, brother!

The leafs annual playoff meltdown makes us missing the playoffs so much more palatable. 

2 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Pretty sure they tried to force that pairing for a couple of season and Matthews and Nylander don't mesh well on a line together.  Nylander is too much of a shooter to be with Matthews.  I think the idea was, in the absence of Marner, put Matthews with 2 players to grind it out for him and get him the puck. 

I get the thinking behind it but you gotta play talent with talent. Imagine playing Gallagher and Armia with Suzuki instead of Slafkovsky and Caufield?

42 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I get the thinking behind it but you gotta play talent with talent. Imagine playing Gallagher and Armia with Suzuki instead of Slafkovsky and Caufield?

Not quite the same situation.  The point of why Matthews and Nylander don't play together is both are shooters.  Theoretically, every shot taken by one is potentially a shot less by the other.  By separating them, they aren't interfering with each other's chances, and you're making another line more dangerous. 

Plus it's a chance for Matthews to prove the criticisms wrong, that he is the driving force on his line not that he needs to be part of a duo, unlike McDavid.  We all know how much All-Leafs-nation loves to try to make Matthews appear just as good or better than McDavid.  Plus Keefe is the type of coach to feed into that instead of whats best for his team (not resting Matthews in gas 82 AND pulling the goalie for no other reason than to get Matthews a goal).

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

Not quite the same situation.  The point of why Matthews and Nylander don't play together is both are shooters.  Theoretically, every shot taken by one is potentially a shot less by the other.  By separating them, they aren't interfering with each other's chances, and you're making another line more dangerous. 

Plus it's a chance for Matthews to prove the criticisms wrong, that he is the driving force on his line not that he needs to be part of a duo, unlike McDavid.  We all know how much All-Leafs-nation loves to try to make Matthews appear just as good or better than McDavid.  Plus Keefe is the type of coach to feed into that instead of whats best for his team (not resting Matthews in gas 82 AND pulling the goalie for no other reason than to get Matthews a goal).

Sorry friend I left you the wrong impression from my original post. I wasn’t advocating for Nylander it was just that he is injured and returning at some point. 

Mathews is clearly a scorer but he isn’t a scorer like MaxPac nope he is an elite scorer, generational talent. 

My original point is about playing an elite scorer like Mathews with two low skill guys. Guys that crash and work the net and boards but aren’t passers. 

I just don’t think it’s wise but I could be wrong. 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Yikes 😱 

Jets turned that around quick 

I think the Jets win this in five, Hellebucyk is just so much better than anybody the Avs can throw in there.  The Jets are also pretty deep in goal scorers. 

7 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

The Jets, Avs game is hard and fast hockey - it’s glorious 

Jets can’t handle the transition speed of Colorado so far. 

Fun game 

Avs dominated the game but their goalies couldnt make a save.  Gonna have to solve that quick.

9 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think the Jets win this in five, Hellebucyk is just so much better than anybody the Avs can throw in there.  The Jets are also pretty deep in goal scorers. 

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

Avs dominated the game but their goalies couldnt make a save.  Gonna have to solve that quick.

You do have to wonder what would have happened last night if Jake Allen was traded to Colorado instead?

Really exciting game to watch and first round of playoff hockey is always outstanding. 

There is some crazy talk in this thread.

GO LEAFS GO  in round 1.  F**K  Boston !!!

And then, go whoever will face the Leafs in round 2.    F**K the Leafs !!!

39 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

No, no, no.  We can't have the Leafs gaining confidence from beating their arch nemesis in the playoffs. Who knows what could happen after that.  The sooner they get eliminated, the easier I can sleep. 

56 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

If we were in the 1990’s I might agree with you but for right now, screw the leafs and their entire organization. 

3 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

You got the script flipped mon ami!!!

I'm 40 yo.   I've never seen the Leafs have any success, I've never been upset at the Leafs for beating us.

I will never understand the hate until they elimintate us.   This is why I want them to clear Boston.  Once this is done,  they can get beaten by anyone else, but I don't want the Bruins anywhere near another Stanley Cup. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

I'm 40 yo.   I've never seen the Leafs have any success, I've never been upset at the Leafs for beating us.

I will never understand the hate until they elimintate us.   This is why I want them to clear Boston.  Once this is done,  they can get beaten by anyone else, but I don't want the Bruins anywhere near another Stanley Cup. 

yes, I don't that  little puk :1vomit: Marchand anywhere near the cup.

1 minute ago, alfredoh2009 said:

yes, I don't that  little puk :1vomit: Marchand anywhere near the cup.

He has already bathed in that cup and I blame Vancouver for letting that injustice happen. 

We can’t have that majestic trophy be further soiled by leaf stink. 

• Like 1

They need Anntunen (illness) to get healthy and fast.

Provstesov hasnt been good, yes it was arizona but his sv% was in the 870s for his career.

If antunnen can play, he should.

50 minutes ago, Commandant said:

They need Anntunen (illness) to get healthy and fast.

Provstesov hasnt been good, yes it was arizona but his sv% was in the 870s for his career.

If antunnen can play, he should.

Prosvetov wasn't much better in Colorado than in Arizona considering the quality of the roster in front of him.  He also has one foot out the door already as a KHL contract for next season is believed to be in place.  If that's what they have to turn to, they're in deep trouble.

• tomh009 changed the title to 2023/2024 season playoff discussion