Diamond in the rough

umpalumpa55

Jason Allison would definitely be a project at the second line centre, but i think its a better fit than anything they have tried so far.

66 games played 17 goals 43 assists 60 points

As u can see he is a playmaker...who can also pot at least 15 goals...even in the new NHL as he proved last year. Since kovalev likes to slow down the play alot..allison wont have to keep up anyways :P

The combination of Kovalev and Allison down low, who are both giants, and samsonov blazing (dont mind if i do ;) ) around the offensive zone could definitely be a threat.

He wouldnt even cost that much

:hlogo:

Edited by umpalumpa55

Isn't Allison Maple Leafs-infected?

Anyways, before they decide to add a player I hope that they try everything else. Higgins at center or Samsonov on the first line. Maybe even Radek Bonk on the second line.

After that is done and things are still not working for the second line, then Allison could be an option.

So who do you want to lose for Allison? Pleks Bonk Begin or Koivu?

We don't need a fifth center and I would prefer we keep our youth. I say no please. We are doing fine and Higgins may fit that line. Hope the Bonk line stays as is. It is a great line at closing down the opponents top line.

So who do you want to lose for Allison? Pleks Bonk Begin or Koivu?

We don't need a fifth center and I would prefer we keep our youth. I say no please. We are doing fine and Higgins may fit that line. Hope the Bonk line stays as is. It is a great line at closing down the opponents top line.

Begin plays better on the wing, so I would only play him at centre if we had injury problems to one of our other three centres.

I am neither a fan or a critic of Allison. He could solve our centre problem in one regard. That is, it would be nice to have a BIG center. Allison fits the bill in this regard. Problem is he is clunky on skates.

However, if used sparingly in the offensive zone he might prove valuble still. I would have faith in Bob if he attained him.

Having said that I should also add that I would prefer we solve this Big C problem elsewhere, if it's necessary to even solve it that is.

Why waste money on Allison. The habs are close to the cao anyway. They can make a trade to upgrade the center position. There are a few out there to be traded for. Morrison, Rienprecht, etc. The habs will have to make a move anyway when higgins is healthy.

So...three playmakers on one line?

3>2 :unsure:

I'd try Higgins at C first. I still believe we could have a solid 1-2 punch in Koivu-Higgins.

As a matter of fact, I'd try to find internal solutions before looking outside for help.

Higgins at C will rock.

question is: Higgins > Koivu? :o

I'm not in the "shoot Jason Allison" camp, but, he's not getting any younger, isn't terribly mobile, and hasn't even played now in quite a while. He wouldn't be in "game shape" until March. Haha.

Heck, if all else fails, I'd rather call up Grabovsky to center that line. What's weird is that with all of the people wondering who would center Samsonov and Kovalev, I still don't see anyone wanting to split the two. I think that's the biggest problem on that line.

Anyone but Allison, please.

Allison is worthless 5-on-5. Can't skate anymore.

That is what they said about Yanic.... look at him.

It all depends on how much you pay. I can think of better centers to grab, but if things continue, I think we need someone who can make that line productive. Speed is only one factor, and frankly, the 2nd, line is not that fast, north/south. They go fast, but not straight. :) I suspect that Allison could keep up.

Kind of wish we grabbed Yanic myself. Faceoff guy, good skills, and dirt cheap.

Allison got ripped apart from most of the leafs fans even when he played for them last year. You know it's saying something when that happens. He put some nice assist numbers up, but he is not a great player all around except on the PP. There is a reason the leafs made no effort to bring him back.

Allison is not the answer I know he had good production as Samsonov's centre in the past and is a big guy but just as enforcers have been thrown under the bus for the most part so have big players who can not skate.

Higgins at centre will be tried when he comes back for sure.

as far as being a 'Diamond in the Rough'????? I'd have to say that gem is long passed - he's more like carbon-dated petrified wood......

question is: Higgins > Koivu? :o

I don't think Higgins is better than Koivu. Higgins sucess is directly related to Playing on saku's wing. He wasn't exactly putting up points last year untill he got moved to the top line. Although he could definetly do well on another line because of the confidence he has gained.

Allison is the completely wrong type of player for the Kovalev/Samsonov line. First off he is too slow and that alone is the only reason needed to not include him in any further conversation.

Next what the Kovalev and Samsonov line needs is a centre who is a goalscorer more than anything. A guy who can go to the front of the net and either get open, deflect or knock in rebounds. Samsonov and Kovalev by their very nature are stick handlers and playmakers ie., they are centremen who actually play wing positions. They actually need to play with a centre who likes to shoot the puck.

Everybody keeps talking about moving Chris Higgins to centre. The guy could probably be successfull if he became better at faceoffs, but since he has so much success as a winger especially on the line with Ryder and Koivu, its hard to see him being moved when he's heatlhy. Although if Latendresse keeps up his excellent play, it may be worth a shot for 3 to 5 games to see if anything happens